Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Car thieves and tow trucks « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been a rash of cars stolen in our neighborhood the past few nights, even cars with clubs intact, no broken glass on the street, a strange tow truck has been observed driving around.

This has got to take the cake for creativity.

I thought I'd protected myself in every way possible from car theft and damage, but is there any way to stop a car from being towed? Any advice or contacts would be appreciated.

Not an invitation to bash Detroit, start your own thread on that.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know someone who had their car stolen by being hauled away on a truck bed.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turn your front wheels into the curb and put your parking brake on.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some simple and obvious, yet not-too-often-taken precautions:

Park in your garage or your backyard off the alley if possible.

Park under street lights or directly in front of your home if you must park on the street.

Have your car boxed in by other parked cars on the street.

Car alarms, clubs, lojack-type systems and kill switches are better than having no protection at all.

There are other ideas I can't think of off the top of my head. These aren't foolproof, but they can at least make your vehicle a harder target. None of them work as well as canine vigilante patrols though. :-)

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard of this kind of thing in other cities. Apparently there are scumbag tow truck drivers out there who will just grab a car and take it to the chop shop or scrapyard, collect some cash, repeat.
Sounds like our brilliant criminals have discovered it here, eh?
The only way to keep your car from getting towed by one of these guys is keeping it locked up in a garage. Or sleeping in it with a Smith & Wesson by your side.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1881
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this just sounds wonderful.

i agree with the turning your wheels to the curb and engaging the e-brake, though in the end, with enough room to work a good tow driver could still drag it up onto a flatbead, and a driver operating a stinger (truck with the T-shaped bar off the back) could still hook up the front, throw some tow wheels under the locked up rear wheels, and drag it off.

tow trucks are made specifially to carry off incapacitated cars after all

(Message edited by gravitymachine on November 28, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Turn your front wheels into the curb and put your parking brake on."

Sounds like you've had one or two cars repoed in your day : P

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3096
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any chance that some of them were repo'd?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 403
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LoJack works, lowers your insurance rates, and pays for itself with peace of mind.

http://www.lojack.com/

(Message edited by gnome on November 28, 2007)

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10996
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, but there was a whole crew caught a year or so ago...I think they operated over on Charlevoix, I used to pass them when I jogged to Belle Isle from Eastern Market.

First time they saw me, one of 'em said, "You're far from home."

Next time, "Hello, officer"

Third time? They were GONE, and I read about it later in the Freep.

It IS just about time for them to have served a year, or finally gotten out on bail...it's just TOO damn cold to go jogging today.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 420
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a group that was going around towing cars that were broken down or stuck on the freeway and then stripping them for parts. You have to admire their creativity. How could you distinguish between thieves and legitimate tow trucks drivers just doing their jobs?

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone done a good car theft sting and posted it on Youtube yet? Man you could easily catch a few a night. The car theivery in Detroit is outstanding! You can almost guarantee a theft or break in of your car if it's remotely decent looking and parked almost anywhere within the city limits.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5649
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The nice thing about a garage is you don't have to scrape or brush the snow, your car starts right up and is toasty.

Nobody mentioned the lockout feature on your remote controlled garage door. Be sure use to use it.
Otherwise, a cheap cellphone or the garbage man calling the yard, can open your garage door.
jjaba got "lockout" after he found his garage door wide open coming home from doing errands.

jjaba.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throw the folks who run shops that buy stolen cars and parts in jail for long terms. This can help dry up the market for hot parts. Do the same for folks who buy from scrapers. If only we had a real Attorney General in this state. You know one who was more effective at fighting crime then holding self congratulatory press conferences.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Or sleeping in it with a Smith & Wesson by your side.""

i prefer a Colt, but then im FAR FAR from Detroit (we had THAT conversation once already) and i park in my heated garage (already talked about THAT too)...

d

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What neighborhood?

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing new about stealing cars with tow trucks in Detroit; my mom had her Impala ripped-off by a tow truck driver in 1973.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching bait car busts on CourtTV last night. The best part was seeing the looks on their faces as the engine shuts off and the cops pulled up behind them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =F8Vq4XgbSvs&feature=related

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trunk Monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =RCUBxgdKZ_Y

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend just told me about this scheme. It's going on in Woodbridge right? She said so far around eight cars have been ripped off? I live in this neighborhood so if anyone has any more info on this I would love to hear it. One thing to keep in mind is that, last time I checked, WSU cops will respond to calls in Woodbridge even though its technically off-campus. 313-577-2222 is the emergency number. They promise to get there in 90 seconds...way faster than the DPD could probably make it there. If I see anything, I'm calling them I guess.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3941
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the bait car video the perps were able to open the doors and run. I thought they rigged the doors on those bait cars to lock them in.

They had a bad car theft problem in Phoenix a few years ago. They claim the bait cars worked very well.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get a really thick chain and....

Or maybe one of those boots that the parking folks use when you don't pay your tix

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While sleeping with an S&W by your side certainly is comforting , if you were to actually discharge the firearm at someone stealing your car you could be the one they put in jail. And that would only be the beginning of your problems. If you're going to discharge a weapon , do yourself a favor - make sure your life is in jepordy first .

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Throw the folks who run shops that buy stolen cars and parts in jail for long terms. This can help dry up the market for hot parts. Do the same for folks who buy from scrapers."

well, now, that would take budgeting that your local Republican businessman won't approve

ya see, they don't want to pay for *anything*
they just want tax cuts

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 970
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the police shut off a bait car they're right on top of the perp anyway. If a perp isn't going to give up and act in desperation I'm sure they'd rather have them try to flee on foot (advantage cops) as opposed to being trapped in a car and feel that their only hope is to use a weapon.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, I haven't had any repo-ed, but I used to work at a Ford dealership when I graduated from college.....job market was tough back in 1990. Anyhow, people used to come into the dealership all the time and tell us that they were a few months behind on their payments....they would call FOMO Credit, and make a payment deal.....the credit people would make an appointment for them to pay up on their deal, and while they were inside paying up, they would repo their car out of the parking lot.....while I can appreciate FOMOCO wanting their money, I could never understand why they would flat out lie to their customers, especially the ones that wanted to make things right.....

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 132
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neighborhood is Woodbridge. Haven't heard of any activity in the past few days.

As for policing, I always call WSU and DPD, not sure if they interface, but I've never had both arrive. Last time I called DPD arrived in under five minutes.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 709
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the police know about this?

get good insurance, get an alarm that calls you if the alarm goes off, then pray.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.