Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Can Anyone Identify This Store - Old Photo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a little older than Ookpik's pictures, and closer to Lansing than Detroit, but I wonder if anyone can identify this place. I haven't even found a reference to the photographer anywhere. I am always amazed at the details everyone comes up with so here you go. I have three larger scans at the links below that might help.

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/soomka1/OldStore1.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/soomka1/OldStore2.jpg

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff15/soomka1/OldStore3.jpg

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 894
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first day on my vacation, what I did on my summer vacation, the first day on my vacation, I woke up. Then, I went downtown to find a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The second day on my summer vacation, I woke up, then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The third day on my summer vacation, I woke up...

Lansingfire
Username: Lansingfire

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it states its from Portland MI which is 20min northwest of Lansing toward Grand Rapids. It states it's a bar but in the window it states merchandce. There's nothing on the back?

Soomka1

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lansingfire, the back is blank. No clues there. The paint on the window is frustrating because merchandise is clear, but I can't make out the name of the store. It seems like it could be pieced together by looking at both windows, but I haven't been able to. I hadn't noticed anything about a bar before, where did you see that?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Must be a County Building - One guy workin' , seven guys watchin'

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like pre-OSHA scaffolding.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Above Merchandise, the first letter on the left is definitely an "A" and last two on right are "ES". If you make the photo into a negative using photo editing software, it looks like:

A.J. BORIES

although the I is obscured by the window frame so it's hard to tell.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 609
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Looks like pre-OSHA scaffolding."

Man, you aren't kidding, that looks really dangerous. Funny..

(Message edited by sstashmoo on November 27, 2007)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

". It states it's a bar but in the window it states merchandce. "

It doesnt say that it's a bar. It says "Oscar Sellon"

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judging from the fence on the right and the tree in the background, one could conclude that the building sat on a bit of a bluff. Knowing a little about Portland, the downtown sits on the Grand river, but the village is sort of hilly. Hence, the building may have been east of downtown Portland.

Style of clothing hints at a 1885 - 1900 timeframe.

You might want to look at the 1900 census data for the name Oscar Sellon and A.J. Bories. Go to your local library and use the on-line data base, Ancestry.com to look for those two guys.

You could contact the Portland Historical Society and ask them if they have any info. One last thought, Oscar Sellon may have been a traveling photographer so the store might not have been in Portland.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 610
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That name could be A. BURNES or A. BORNES

The second letter if there is one is slanted, I doubt it's an I or J. It could be though.

It's really hard to tell.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2309
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither name appears in the 1900 census. In the 1880 Census, an Oscar Sellon appears in Fulton Township, Gratiot County, as a farm hand. He is 19 years old, so may have gone on to better things some years later.

There is no one with the surname "Bories" in Michigan in 1880.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 355
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess they didn't stamp photos with the word COPY back then! :-)

I'm sure you already found this site but if you didn't, here is a link to a book about the history of Portland:

http://www.portland-michigan.o rg/Centennial/html/centen.htm

The entire book is online so you might be able to match up the photo with one in the book.

You could take the photo to the Portland Historical Society, if there is one, or talk to some of the old-timers in Portland. They will tell you all about that store whether they know anything about it or not. ;)

In any event, that is a cool old photo.

Ookpik

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3845
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Oscar Sellon was from Michigan. I think he was from Kansas.

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genwe b/mhgs/1891county.htm

Listed in this 1891 Wichita Directory.

Sellon, Oscar : photographer.

Also, this book:

http://books.google.com/books? id=SaEmwjUThuAC&pg=PA259&lpg=P A259&dq=sellon+oscar&source=we b&ots=PyldVK6BUL&sig=6LmS_Oebr _cLpi-PpPBiXaXpO-o#PPA259,M1

Has him listed in Kansas and says "Active in Cheney".

Here's a cemetary in Cheney, Kansas that has his body.

http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genwe b/sedgwick/cems/chencem.txt

Best I can do!

Ray1936

Post Number: 2311
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That clue did it, Johnlodge. Oscar Sellon is an 11-year old boy in the 1870 census (which matches with the vitals in the grave link) living with his family in the town of Chester in Eaton county, Michigan. Likely wandered off to Kansas in adulthood. Here's the family. And he died in January of 1900 so he wouldn't be on that census.

census

Novine

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray,

Did you check 1880 or 1890 census for Portland? I wonder if he started out there in the photography business?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3847
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3848
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A. _BCR_ES

MERCHANDISE

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 611
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Vanna White when you need her?

GRIES is a rather common last name.

JL, that looks like a G now. This is a real puzzle.. lol

Now it looks like "A & BGRIES" That second letter may be an "&" instead.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3850
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Despite Portland keeping up an extensive website of history about their village, I could not find an early merchant with a simliar name. But maybe someone else should look as well.

http://www.portlandmichigan.us /Portland/port-hist/port_histo ry.htm

Ray1936

Post Number: 2312
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Did you check 1880 or 1890 census for Portland? I wonder if he started out there in the photography business?"

Checked the 1880 census for the entire State of Michigan and he is not there. It is possible that the name was mis-spelled in transcription, or he may have been missed by the census. Things happen.

The 1890 census does not exist. It was destroyed by fire and flooding of the Commerce Building in Washington D.C. in 1921. Pity.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Portland 'twas a big town in 1881.
http://www.anesi.com/portland/ HTML/MAP1881.HTM

But . . . the mercantile might be from a surrounding village, not Portland. I'd reference a long-time resident, perhaps a funeral director?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3860
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say you might be right. Looking at photos of Portland around that time, all the businesses seem to be clustered around one intersection. The photo of this building shows is standing alone.

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am amazed by this forum's sleuthing expertise. I just sit off to the side and monitor the progress because I wouldn't know where to start. Thanks for the enjoyment.

Soomka1

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gingellgirl and Johnlodge are right, Portland was so well developed by the late 1800's, a small isolated store like this is probably from a smaller town. I would guess it isn't too far from Portland since that is where the picture was printed.

I love the facade on the building. It doesn't do much to change the appearance when it is exposed on both sides and you can see the roof sticking out behind it.

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking the first letter was an "A," but is it possible it's a "W"?

"The First Merchants"
Philo Bogue and his son William W., settled on the west side of the Grand River flats north and downriver from the point where the Looking Glass joins the Grand . . . Records show that his son William W. Bogue had a general store at the southeast corner of Bridge and Kent Streets (Peake Electric Company in 1969) for a good many years . . .

Source: Portland, MI Centennial Book
http://www.anesi.com/portland/ HTML/CENTEN.HTM

The fact that the family settled there so early (trading with the Indians from a tent), they might have been there before the building boom.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3863
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read about the Bogues. But, it just doesn't look like it could possibly be W. Bogue. I'm fairly certain the first letter is an A. Also, where the G would need to be, I'm fairly certain that is an R. If not an R, certainly not a G.

Novine

Post Number: 286
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus we don't even know where the postcard came from. We're assuming that the photo was taken in the Lansing area based on the photographer's info. but it could really be from anywhere. Trains allowed people to travel great distances and even if it's from the Lansing area, there are many small towns and crossroads where this could have been located.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 293
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Towns near portland:
Eagle; Sunfield; Grand Ledge; Lyons; westphalia; Mulliken;Lake Odessa; Saranac; Fowler
Theres a "Frost corners" and "Sebewa Corners" a few mi. south of Portland. "Kent Corners" just west.
I have no idea where to begin.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.