Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » NYT article from model D « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got this article
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.c om/2007/11/20/detroit-most-dan gerous-or-most-disrespected/?h p
from model D and while most of you probably read that publication I just wanted to say that while reading through the comments I would say that the average NYT reader makes much more educated comments than those who comment on the Freep. It saddens me that we get more positive press and opinions from NY then our own city and population. Even when the comments were negative it seemed the writer had good reason and at least justified their claims.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2247
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved this comment.

quote:

As someone who spent 10 years (the 80’s) living in the southwest side of the city where conditions are unlivable, I can testify to the issues caused by a city that sold itself to the devil (the auto industry). Yes people need jobs, but not at the expense of 1)giving up any semblance of a working public transport that can get them to alternative places of work once these same industries shut down and left, 2) Selling off all river front property to manufacturing and parking lots for the Renaissance Center and 3) Neglecting all civic and social public places so that the only thing you have to live for is pro sports. I loved the Tigers too, but they shouldn’t have been the only game in town.

As much as things change, things stay the same.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I kinda liked this one too:

quote:

It is laughable to blame Detroit’s problems on a magazine rating it “the most dangerous city.” Detroit, once a thriving and diverse manufacturing town, is the logical extension of what it became after WWII — a monument to the automobile industry. Its neighborhoods were carved up without regard for local communities and businesses to make canyon-like freeways, dividing neighbor from neighbor and enabling the middle class to move ever farther from its cohesive old neighborhoods. Public transit was allowed to wither and die. Buildings that represented the city’s finest architecture were allowed to be razed for parking lots. The symbolism of these public policies did not escape those who could afford to leave — mainly whites. Citizens tried to rebuild community outside the city, only to find that cancer at the core spreads outward. Now the automobile industry has fallen on hard times, and only those unable to leave remain in the city. Only a revolution in civic leadership could begin to reverse this inevitable decline.

Sometimes, I think the major hinderance with Detroit is that nobody in leadership really knows what makes a city truly work.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2250
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also, remember, even Rosa Parks was mugged in her high security protected senior citizens building.

Rosa Parks was mugged while living in her single family home on the west side. Afterwards, she was then moved to the Riverfront Apartments (with the aide of former Mayor Archer and Judge Damon Keith), neither of which is a "high security protected senior citizens building".

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2251
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they just wanted a cigarette?

quote:

I returned to Detroit to catch the Tiger’s Labor Day game at the stadium in 2006. Had to park a distance away because the main street by the stadium was blocked (Woodward I believe) for the noon Labor Day parade.

Hung around the stadium till the end of the game acquiring some souvenier items. The walk back to our parking location was devoid of people as most left early. We were accosted by two bad looking guys sizing us up for the kill. They asked for a cigarette and a hand rolled ones were offered. Thinking we were not worthy prey, they left after accepting two cigarettes.

That cured me of any future visits ever to Detroit for a ball game.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 362
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the heck is this all about?

quote:

Unless you are from Detroit or have deep ties there, PLEASE feel free NOT to comment. If all you do is ride a bus from Metro to the Windosr Tunnel, then you have not see Detroit. If you go on business for a few days, you have not seen Detroit. In the past 10 years Detroit has been making HUGE strides! Go down to the stadium and watch a ballgame, feel free to hangout down there before and after a game, there is plenty to do and no need to feel threatened. The Wings will most likely be getting a new arena down there, once again adding more character to Hockeytown. Two former hotels, The Book-Cadillac and The Fort Shelby are being completly renovated one for luxury lofts and one for a brand new Westin hotel. Detroit is a different city then it was 10 years ago. And there is one man to thank… MIKE ILLITCH

— Posted by Mike

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2931
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for posting the article, I had not seen it. The posts from individuals were interesting to say the least.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.