Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Columbia « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was saddened to read that Detroit will lose the BobLo steamer Columbia to New York. I know that there are some nautical experts on this blog, so I have some questions for them. First, how will they get the Columbia to the Hudson river? She is too tall and too wide to negotiate the Erie Canal. That means she will have to be towed all the way across both Lakes Erie and Ontario, and up the full length of the St Lawrence river. She will then have to face the open Atlantic from Nova Scotia south until she enters the relative safety of Long Island Sound. Is she in sound enough condition to make this trip? I would just hate to read of her being lost at sea. Second, has any schedule been posted for her departure? Given the chance, I would love to travel from my home in Northern New England to watch her passing through the Eisenhower Lock at Massena NY, if I could find out what her plans were.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I talked to the guy who had the Ste Claire tied up here last summer. He said the Columbia's in such bad shape he'd be surprised if she makes it to NY.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow boblo to NY, good luck on that one.

Swede1934

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen those pictures of her, and that is exactly my thoughts as well. I have too many fond memories of sailing down the river from the foot of Woodward to Boblo Island aboard both the Columbia and her sister Ste. Claire.

Swede1934

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...
Is DetroitNerd or Jjaba around??
They might be able to find some answers.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4331
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good question Swede1934. You need to call out The Rock, SailorRick or AWFavre; our resident boat gurus. And don't forget our friends over over at boatnerd.com.

I could see the Columbia getting washed up on the Maine coast and becoming a BnB or diner.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing to add, I'm afraid. Was delighted to see the St. Claire docked and tarped up over by Chene Park a few weeks ago. Lookin' good. Was that tub the same boat I used to dance to a live band on back in 1977? Unbelievable...

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 197
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember talking to the folks who own the paddle wheel boat that gives tours in Frankenmuth. They hired a couple of modified flatbed trucks to cart their boat from the Arkansas to Frankenmuth. Since the load was so wide, they could only travel on surface streets (no freeways), and could only travel during certain times of the day. more info: http://www.bavarianbelle.com/h istory.htm

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swede1934, your questions are good ones, & I don’t have the answers.

I chatted with the owner of the S/S Ste. Claire a couple weekends ago, & he said if the NY group doesn’t do something with the S/S Columbia soon, it will be too late to save her, that she’s in bad shape. To give you some idea, there are places on the Ste. Claire where you can see the river through the floor, & lots of folks have been working actively to restore her over the course of years. The Columbia has had no such attention.

From the NY group’s official website www.sscolumbia.org it appears they’re working hard to get the funding in place to restore her, but that hasn’t translated into action. In any event, based on the weather alone, I seriously doubt she’ll go anywhere until next year. Also, the vessel’s caretaker in recent years has said she’ll need some structural improvements before she can make the trip (article link below).
http://www.thenewsherald.com/s tories/061806/loc_20060618003. shtml

Monitor the official website for any progress, as well as the Info Search Page http://search.boatnerd.com/ on Boatnerd. If anything in the Great Lakes moves, it’s usually posted on there. Finally, the NY group’s newsletter is interesting, if nothing else. http://www.sscolumbia.org/Home _files/01.Feb.07%20-%20Pg1,2%2 63.pdf

Swede1934

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. I'll try to keep posted thru those links.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.