Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Is there a red neck convention in town? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1757
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some idiot just drove by yelling racial slurs at some kids walking home from Southfield High school. I wonder if I had the license plate # if the cops would do anything. Isn't that ethnic intimidation or something?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give them a call and ask them - if nothing else they might put the plate # on file in case something happens in the future.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10861
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would contact the police with the license plate #. This is a situation that if left unchecked could lead to something much worse.

Racists tend to get more agressive the more they feel they can get away with.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10862
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing - I would stop the kids that were yelled at so if need be there are witnesses. Without anyone else it would probably not be pursued.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1758
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't able to get the plate #. I was just wondering if it was something the cops would even pursue.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a gentle reminder: It's not a crime to yell racial slurs. If it were, the jails'd be bustin'.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 807
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very so sick and effing tired of the endless racism in this world. I was racially attacked by a black man at the Burger King on Gratiot this afternoon. Thanks is owed to the good people of my neighborhood who chased the asshole out of the store, and made sure that I was okay.

And, last night at a bar in Greektown, I saw a couple white patrons ask a black man if he was "allowed to eat at this establishment". Are you kidding me???

It's not just a Detroit issue, but a human issue. Racism is sickening. I am ashamed of all of every damn person (myself included, as I am not perfect) who has looked down upon another person because of the color of their skin.

i grew up in a very diverse neighborhood of Lansing where my neighborhood was split 50/50. The diversity was our greatest asset, but it sure split us at times too. I fear that racism is a sad institution that may never die.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3090
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not trying to excuse this, but do you know if words were exchanged prior to this happening?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sucks, but just an hour ago I had a White man from Harrison Township refuse to consider looking at a specific used car because there were what he called "Detroit radio stations" programed into the radio.

It doesn't even shock me anymore.

Needless to say, I made sure he got a "great deal" on another car. Fucker'll be paying on it 'till 2014!

Your welcome, everybody!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3836
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"there were what he called "Detroit radio stations" programed into the radio."

In other words, a white kid from Waterford probably owned it.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Har!! Johnlodge, you're a scream!!
And, you're making a good point...

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Johnlodge, ain't that the truth.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, completely. I wonder what his kids listen to?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IF his concern was that the stations programmed are more often than not blasted at high volume with the bass down low (OFTEN by white kids from south Macomb county...hmm, like Harrison Twp), therefore blowing the speakers,then lower the price a little to leave some money for new speakers.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Johnlodge, that was great

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 698
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no red neck convention, just dumbasses being dumbasses.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 103
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i got the nickname redneck, but i,m an oxymoron cause a black man lives in the same house with me, and my girlfriends kids drive me up the wall with that hip hop. i should have heard about a convention, and why would it be in southfield?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 518
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric/others - re: Detroit stations programmed into a used car's radio...

Wake up. The alleged "racist" was using available information about a product with an otherwise unknown past. Used car dealers never deliberately obscure details about a vehicle's past? Never detail or tune up a heap that has been neglected by previous owners? Of course they do, and keying in on little clues like the radio or pedal wear are countermeasures available to savvy consumers.

Given a choice would "you" prefer to buy a vehicle that had been owned by a younger person (with the presumption that a "kid" would be less diligent about maintenance, more inclined toward 'hotrod' driving) or an older person? If you say "kid" then you're either a liar or a fool.

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had to choose between to "exact" cars and the only diff would be what radio stations were programmed I'd choose the car that seemed to have the type of radio stations a person would listen to who would maintain their car. Which stations that would be I dunno. I guess I'd go with "older" demographic type stations.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 754
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is a "detroit station" then? WWJ? WJR? 95.5? hmmmm

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 897
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"what is a "detroit station" then? WWJ? WJR? 95.5? hmmmm"

In translation, Urban Contemporary is what he was singling out. He thought because they have a higher inner city/minority rating, and you tie that in with the City of Detroit, he felt they should be called Detroit Stations (which was wrong).

Eric_c

Post Number: 1119
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be so combative, Craig.

I don't know specifically what stations were programmed.

The point was that his body language and hesitation pronounced to me that when he said "Detroit" he was equating it to "Black". He didn't say "kids". It could have been Count Basie or Louis Armstrong.

Craig

Post Number: 531
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric - didn't intend to bust chops unnecessarily, but the 'racist' tag gets floated way too often.

I stand by my read of "Detroit" = kids, and not exclusively "black." I'll wager that most people would equate Count Basie with AM 580 which they'd equate with our grandparents, and an old black man's car is worth two from a young white kid.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I beg your pardon, but I was the guy telling the story. I was there and he meant "Black". He didn't mean kids.

The guy was a turd, I'm telling you.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 914
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Urban Contemporary, not Black or Kids.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"most people would equate Count Basie with AM 580"

580 doesn't play that anymore.Its old pop music now. Stuff from the 60's.

Let's be honest. He meant "ghetto"- problably WJLB or 105 whatever Jamz. Stuff people seem incapable of listening to at a normal volume.
My car was previously owned by a suburbanite and it had all the "urban" and dance stations on it. The speakers were completely shot.Still are. They proved harder to try to remove than imagined.
I have a feeling,though, that may not be what he was trying to imply.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 925
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Uh yeah, I was expecting someone to go there. All I listen to is Urban Contemporary (occasionally 100.3 WNIC when they have Flashblack Weekends, and even then I prefer The Urban Contemporary's Old Skool blocks). However, you're stereotyping me of something I don't even do. I guess it's a cultural preference and perception.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 926
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heck, people seem incapable of listening to 97.1 at a normal volume when Greenday or whatever their names are come on. Instead, they blast all of that Monkey screaming and banging in my ears!

Craig

Post Number: 540
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because Hpgrmln knows the playlist of 580 I call dibs on his car when it sells -damn thing probably never went over 40 on its trips to church.

And Eric's lot is selling worn out shit-heaps where they'll happily put you into a six-year note. Stay away: he'd sell his mother for a fifty-dollar spiff.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redneck convention alive and well in Hamtramck. Can't wait for crystal meth to hit.

Seriously though, as a white boy public-school grad from the 80s who grew up near Schoolcraft and got the reverse racist shit (honk-honk-honky-honky-honk-ho nk) from kids my age, it's frustrating that I still get it (and none too subtly) from ignorant older folks who have no idea that I sympathize. Sure I understand that all white people look alike, but in Hamtramck none of them greet anybody (this has to be the most unfriendly neighborhood I've ever lived in), and a white man acknowledging and greeting a black man or kids on the street is easily snubbed. And, of course, I understand. But it just keeps perpetuating itself.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1123
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig?

Why would you EVER say such a thing?

Missmich
Username: Missmich

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It strikes me as funny that not one of you actually think referring to people as a redneck convention is the least bit racist.

Me too. What a glaring double standard. Would it be ok to day there was a nappy headed convention in town?

Craig

Post Number: 546
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric - I was joking, but only half way. It sounds as though you took pleasure putting a guy into a used vehicle for a term that will generate more interest & cash for your pocket than most readers here would find acceptable. That may be legal, but it is as contemptible as laughing about the rates charged by rent-to-own outlets on Woodward.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you hadn't gone and dragged my mother into it, I would have ignored your juvenile post.

And now:

------------------------------ -------------------
Craig

Post Number: 546
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 4:50 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
"It sounds as though you took pleasure putting a guy into a used vehicle for a term that will generate more interest & cash for your pocket than most readers here would find acceptable."

------------------------------ -------------------

You must have a really hard time reading and I'm sorry for that, but you need to catch up because you're slowing everyone else down with your completely unnecessary garbage responses.

It "sounds as though"?

Where in my initial post did I studder?

Hear this: I was giddy as a school girl to take the guys head off! Everyday, I meet with people who have been my customers for years. People who are taken care of time and time again. Fair, reliable, steady, knowledgeable service is my specialty.

My boss knows this, so I handle a lot of the local VIPs and friends of the dealership. In this instance, it was one of the bosses' friends' friends'.

I didn't consider his RACIST VIEWPOINT acceptable, so I dealt with it in the only way that I knew my boss would approve.

Fuck you and your shit-stirring.

Craig

Post Number: 547
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 5:27 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
...Needless to say, I made sure he got a "great deal" on another car. Fucker'll be paying on it 'till 2014! ...

Poor Eric. Like I said: anything for a spiff. Devil made you do it.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I said, "Where in my initial post did I studder?"

Please admit you're either supportive of the racist, can't read, or too stubborn and proud to back down. Which is it?

Craig

Post Number: 549
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric -

I'm supportive of consumers, black & white. I also know a lot about what motivates them and so I'm disinclined to accept the "racist" hypothesis (likewise - a black patron deliberately seeking out the black sales rep is not necessarily racist because there can be a logic to that driven by economic concerns, not bigotry). Depending upon your franchise the direction and training that your factory provides may have been developed by me.

Can you distinguish between an extortionist contract laid down as Robin Hood justice and one that just happens? Probably not, so gloating in either case is sick, even if you really feel that poor folks should be punished for being poor.

Re: inability to read... it's "stutter," not "studder," and I let that slip the first time that you put it that way because it's not the real issue here.

You may really have had a racist "up." How can I really know? But your myopia, even in light of your face-to-face encounter, leads me to believe that you defaulted to that judgement too easily.

Craig

Post Number: 551
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric - I'm standing down for tonight. I'll check back tomorrow or Monday. (your momma is fine - just you and me in this thing)

Eric_c

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can know I had a racist customer because I told you so, you fucking dweeb.

You can also take your training programs and shove them up your ass. Those who can't actually make a successful living out of selling are always the first to tell everyone else how to do it.

I don't believe a word out of your mouth anyway - you made it clear you don't respect my professional take - I sure as hell couldn't be expected to respect yours.

Myopia my eye.

Now get this: you need to lose the stubborn pride and realize right here and now that you have no idea what you are talking about because you weren't there.

BTW, you did catch me on "stutter"!

(Message edited by Eric C. on December 01, 2007)

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 333
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooooooooooooooo!! No bueno!!

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its interesting when the IPA flap finds its way into written communication.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, well, you see, my foul mouth is actually a product of my Missouri-born father...ahem...not at all my West Virginia-born mother.

Could also be the IPA tap I tapped as I typed...

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I meant the "d" vs "t" (vs flap) thing.

Like how butter is spelled vs how you think its spoken.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.