Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » C Howard Crane's Walkerville Theatre « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6449
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theatre fans, I had a chance yesterday to get inside and photograph the rarely open Walkerville Theatre in Windsor.

It was designed by Crane in 1918, but wasn't built until 1920. It opened up in 1921, and was a combination Vaudeville/Movie House. The boundary between Windsor and Walkerville (two separate towns until 1935) ran right down the middle. As a result in the early days only the Windsor half of the theatre was open on Sundays. Politicians liked making stops at the theatre too, as they could hold rallies in two towns at the same time.

Sometime in the 1960s it became a bino parlor before finally closing for good in the late 80s. It has had little starts and stops ever since without anyone making a go of anything in it. It has tried to be a Concert Venue, children's magic center, gay bar and community theatre in the last 20 years (not all at the same time mind you...) and nothing has proved sucessful.

It is still a great looking theatre, and I saw a community theatre play in it two years ago, and it has the typical great Crane accoustics.

Today it seats 579, I'm not sure what the original capacity was but no seats remain on the ground floor, and only every other row in the balcony.

Here are the photos:

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=531

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1910
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great shots, AIW. I have driven by that house and wondered what it looked like inside, and now I know. Doesn't look like there are any hanging sets back stage these days, or they are there and can't be seen because the are above the level of the single border light that is lit and can't be seen. Did you take a picture facing the other narrow wall back stage?
The theatre has organ chambers as well, interesting design with the grilles going up into the curved ceiling.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6450
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but it turned out lousy...

A previous owner a few years back, stripped out all the orignal sets that were still in the theatre, including the orignal asbestos fire curtain...

Such is life I suppose...

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW: Great photos on your site- It was good to be back in the old theatre yesterday- after the "Metrosexual" bar closed a few years ago we feared it was the end for the theatre- so imagine our surprise when we came in Sunday to a gleaming gem of a palace- good for Olde Walkerville and its continued revival along with the reawakening of the magnificent Bank of Montreal as the Gourmet Emporium...Walkerville is certainly a happening place

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9972
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than downtown Windsor anyway. :-)
But then again what isn't?

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes downtown started going downhill after you moved into the hood!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.