Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Trolley Plaza becoming Washington Square Apts. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well... it's for sure... Trolley Plaza (my historic... err... historically troubled apartment building) is being changed, by Habitat Property Management (the new owners) to Washington Square (check their website... they already list it as this)... anyway here's the first proof, as promised... the birds-nest-included signs saying Trolley Plaza on the Washington Blvd side have been removed, and all you can see is what's left... I'll continue to take pictures as changes happen so those of you who are interested can follow the evolution of this quirky building I call home!
The signs are gone!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 379
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Habitat Property Management...something sounds so wrong about that name.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 354
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So have they cleaned up their act along with the bird nests? I've heard some crazy stories outta there, something about someone dying on the elevator, crackheads and hoods filling one of the floors, overall disrepair, non-functioning elevators, etc etc etc.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4324
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lipstick on a pig. No doubt the interior is better than than the exterior, but this is one eyesore butt-ugly building. I have seen gray apartment blocks in East Berlin with more charm. Other than a tiny grocery store, it is a ground floor retail dead end, just another grim parking lot. What an irony that it may survive while the Book Tower may not.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6831
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soon Habitat Property Management will make some upgrades for their luxury apartments and kick out the po'folks.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah - that place has all the charm of a Beirut housing project. Maybe they could sell it to developers in the Gaza Strip ?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI - Beirut & Gaza are NOT in the same country. Still, Trolley Plaza probably beats living at home, eh?

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's true, someone did die on one of the elevators there, however, not at the hands of another person - yet a malfunction which caused the elevator to shoot up.

Haven't heard anything about crackheads and gangbangers taking over an entire floor though. :P

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3017
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since the trolley is gone, seems like a better name

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 693
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Except there is no square....

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1656
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the building is very square.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2237
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like they are trying to sell some more New York nostalgia to the yuppies...

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1173
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://images.google.com/imgre s?imgurl=http://www.thetrolley swrecked.com/tps_header.jpg&im grefurl=http://www.thetrolleys wrecked.com/&h=375&w=500&sz=33 &hl=en&start=7&um=1&tbnid=pd_8 j-CtH76nQM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&p rev=/images%3Fq%3Dtrolley%2Bpl aza%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl %3Den%26sa%3DN

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 162
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This subsidized building was built courtesy of federal tax dollars. Mayor Young was good at getting HUD money flowing to Detroit. It has been a mess since it opened and historically had many Section 8 residents.

I hear it has been improving of late. Is this true? What are market rents nowadays?

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 983
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Habitat did a great job at Lafayette Towers and the Pavilion (oh and Riverfront too). Hopefully they can do the same for Trolley er "Washington Square Apartments" (oh and I like the new name even though there's no square). And the building maybe rather brutalist in design, but it does have balconies and great views so it could really be a great affordable apartment building despite its shortcomings on design.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3020
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now we need to come up with a square

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 806
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have lived in habitat company owned properties for a couple years now, and I absolutely love it. When I decided to leave Lafayette Towers (just for a change of scenery) the first two places I looked were the other two habitat properties.

Im now at The Pavilion, but I will highly consider Washington Square in the future, as Habitat has proven that they are very interested in making the necessary improvements to their properties.

I dont know if it is true or not, but an employee here at The Pavilion told me that the Occupancy of this building is at 90%, and the three Detroit habitat properties are at 84% as a whole. That sounds like a great number, and proves that people have confidence in this company.

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig what does "beats living at home" mean? I do live here... I don't know that must have been accidental wording. Anyhow the building is not like people say... it's not perfect but honestly show me an affordable apartment that is... and I think it has a strong sturdy look... I don't think grey is unattractive. And you really can't beat it as a downtown place with balconies that's affordable. I have good neighbors as well. Anyhow I will continue to post pictures as things happen. Oh and about that bullsh*t Trolley's Wrecked website... there's so many holes in that guy's argument. I'm tired of people who have "trouble with management" and get all pissed off. I've lived at six or seven different apartment complexes and have never had "trouble with management." Do you know how I avoid it? I... pay my rent on time. Crazy how it works, but that's an amazing way to get management to like you. Anyway I know Trolley/WS has its issues but it's still a good place to live, and in comparison to the lafayette properties it excels in that we have our own separate heating/cooling units. That's not the only selling point but it is great!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nickstone, you tell that Lowell guy to stop criticizing your home or you'll have him banned from this site!

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

401don, either you mistyped your sentence or you're joking, right?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it's a Joke. I'm not that new. If you look further up Lowell calls the Trolley "butt-ugly" and the renovations "lipstick on a pig"

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5185
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would that be considered "Brutalist" architecture?

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 480
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a resident of the Pavilion and a seasoned Property Manager for another big name Property Management firm I can tell you that Habitat is a pretty respected company. They do pretty well at the Pavilion, there are some minor quirks here and there but I'm sure anything is mild compared to what Trolley residents have experienced from what I hear. According to the employees, the Pavilion is actually 95% occupied which is pretty good. You have to understand though that in the apartment industry, anything below 90% at an established, stable apartment community is poor, anything below 80% is downright scary. So the 84% is not such a stellar number unfortunately. Of course the larger the property, the more room for flexibility there is with the occupancy but a smaller apartment community (200 apartments or less) has to pretty much be 97-100% occupied to pay its bills.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3185
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as we all applaud the new name, if they do not restore the lobby ceiling to it's original late 20th century condition it'll be another two steps forward one step back example of "progress" ...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 861
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When people make comments like Rustic did, I'm going to use the well known signature quote on here "beggars can't be choosers." Just be happy that the company is taking any interest in the High Rise.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 481
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummm..I think Rustic's comment was sarcastic. Restore a circa 1980 ceiling?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! good one Rustic!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4327
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I am happy to hear good reviews on Habitat Management. If we are stuck looking at it for decades I hope for the tennants and street that it is well managed.

Maybe I am a little too dismissive. I am sure the view from within is far better. I am reminded of some forgotten French writer who made it known he despised the Eiffel Tower, back soon after it was built, but took his daily coffee there. When challenged on this seeming hypocrisy he sniffed, "It is the only place I can sit in Paris without having to look at it."

Voila.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5808
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When people make comments like Rustic did, I'm going to use the well known signature quote on here "beggars can't be choosers."

I'm going to use another well known signature... "someone is being a smart ass"...

(not you Detroitrise)

(Message edited by Gistok on November 27, 2007)

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3188
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, come on, that was too easy to let pass.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trolley Plaza is a pretty nice option for Detroiter's who can't afford the new condos and lofts, but want to live in a nice, safe, and clean environment at a really reasonable price. A mix of black, white, young, and old. A pretty nice cross section of people really. I doubt that the people living there care much about the architectural significance of the building. Parking, heat that works, and a doorman. I'll take any day over the rash of slumlords in that area.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5813
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, I know... :-)

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, I would say that it's very brutalist-influenced, especially in it's liberal use of concrete.

Here's brutalism on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B rutalist).

And Trolley Plaza on Emporis
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/b u/?id=trolleyplazaapartments-d etroit-mi-usa

One thing Trolley err Washington Square has is two-storey penthouses! Pretty cool actually.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 224
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think that building looks too bad. I may not be the most architecturally stunning building bout it looks a lot nicer than the filthy, almost abandoned Book Tower next door.

If I were to move downtown I would seriously consider this place. I only hope when I am ready to move there are still reasonably priced apartments downtown, they seem so few and far between.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just read in Crain's that Habitat has the Lafayette Towers up for sale. Does anyone know how long they've owned the towers and how much they paid for them. They're asking 20.25 million.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

habitat is the original developers of the lafayette pavillion and towers.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure, Rsa? Habitat is a Chicago company that recently fixed up the buildings and upgraded the tenancy.

The Lafayette Park high rises were in bad shape in the 80's and early 90's. They're much nicer today.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"FYI - Beirut & Gaza are NOT in the same country."

No shit, sherlock. Missing any points lately ?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2141
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"historically had many Section 8 residents."

had and has.

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years ago my company had over 16 apts in The Plaza for housing employees for training. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out... Anyway I used to be in charge of them all and had keys to them all. 2410 was my main stay. Had the city side balcony way up there. Detroit looks pretty sweet at night from way up there :-). We used to party HARD there. Real hard. I never thought there was too much riff raff though but it definitely wasn't that nice either. It's a great location and only shows how bottomed out Detroit is if it can't even be a sweet residency being basically 1 block from Comerica Park, Fox theater and a lot of other stuff...

http://www.kingofdetroit.com/m isc/plaza.jpg
http://www.kingofdetroit.com/m isc/plaza2.jpg
http://www.kingofdetroit.com/m isc/plaza3.jpg

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there when the "monkey bars" were still there. I think we left when Bookies just opened. Is Bookies even still open? We used to frequent a lot of bars downtown back then. A lot. Spent a lot of dough in the D back then. Good memories at "The Plaza".

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 519
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser - can you be trusted with a loaded version of your namesake? Seems like you keep shooting yourself in the foot with hackneyed references & reasoning.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way back when Bookies opened?

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice that today coming home from the college, and that the Trolley Plaza sign was removed. It makes better since to change the name of building, because the old Trolley Park is gone.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.