Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Historical question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a historical question. I was talking with my Dad over the holidays and he said that when he was a teenager in the early 1950's, there was a mixed-race family that moved into a house at the corner of Flanders and Park Drive (east side near the city airport). This was about 4 long blocks and 3 short blocks away from where he lived. He says that hundreds of people congregated at the house to intimidate the family into moving out. He says the garage was burned down and the front porch set on fire. I have read about these kinds of things happening earlier but have never heard of this incident. Does anyone know anything more about it? Thanks.

BTW, the remodeled DIA is awesome! My girlfriend and I went to the opera last Saturday and the DIA the next day. It was a great weekend. Detroit rocks!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't recall that location for sure, but he's probably right. There was terrible animosity when the color line was broken in Detroit in those years. I remember one specific incident, about 1956, on the west side, and I even remember the address: 12356 Cherrylawn. As I recall, it was a widow that bought the house. DPD had a car stationed there 24/7 for nearly a year to prevent trouble.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5641
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12356 Cheerylawn is damn close to jjaba in 1956. jjaba has no recollection of the incident.

The Schoolcraft-Wyoming area was a melting pot of white ethnics in 1956. There were two religions, Catholics and Publics in the neighborhood. This United Nations included Czechs, Serbs, Croats, Italians, Greeeks, Swedes, French, Polish, Canadians, Ukrainians, Russians, and others.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.