Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Frustration with Air America Radio 1310 AM « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's just my car antenna, but does anybody else have any trouble picking up Air America 1310 around Detroit? I live on the east side and get it during the daytimes, but nighttimes are a wash. Forget about tuning in from my house.

It is so great to have a liberal alternative to all of the conservative and neo-conservative voices on the airwaives; it's too bad there aren't more public stations available.

Anyone else dig Thom Hartmann? I think he's first-rate in his opinions and interviews. I'm sure he would sound even better without all of the radio static.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 357
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like many AM stations, AM 1310 had a directional transmission pattern, sending more power toward some directions and less toward others.
Also like many AM stations, AM 1310 is required by law to reduce power (in its case, I think from 5,000 watts to 1,000 wats) between sundown and sunrise, to avoid interfering with other stations on the same frequency at night, when AM signals can go hundreds or thousands of miles due to bouncing off the ionosphere.

The station -- which is licensed to Dearborn -- is unlistenable on the east side at night, just as it was unlistenable on the east side when it was WKNR in the 1960s.

Ain't nothin' you can do.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen to Thom Hartman online.

http://www.thomhartmann.com/

Hes from Lansing BTW.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 3089
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they "forgot" to pay their bills...again.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 168
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel your pain brother....

Although, I really haven't listened since they changed their lineup.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 306
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try WJR instead for your talk radio. Better signal. Better content.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1047
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Detroiters need to further embrace the Conservative Ideology.

How's that working out for yas?

lol.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3891
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to listen to them on http://www.airamerica.com/.

For your car you might look for an antenna amplifier. I've used a 9-volt inline version on other radios.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to a signal coverage map for 1310. The red line marks the night-time coverage.

http://www.radio-locator.com/c gi-bin/pat?call=WDTW&service=A M&status=L&hours=N

Postbop

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy-

Thanks! It figures- I'm about 5 miles outside of the nighttime range

Docmo-

WJR? Sarcasm, I hope.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3893
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkguy, thanks for the cool resource.

According to that map though the red is "local" and the violet is "distant." The map is labeled nighttime coverage.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 7518
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

progressive talk radio is dead on arrival. If it were not for the token conservative program, Michael Stein, Sunday morning, they would have been gone already.

Wschnitt
Username: Wschnitt

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberal talk radio is always boring. The message is too depressing.

Vic_doucette

Post Number: 358
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop -- here's a link to information about the GE Super Radio, a modestly priced AM/FM portable radio that has extremely good reception, especially on AM. I own two of them and have given a few more to radio-geek friends. There's no guarantee it will solve your problem, but it's the best cheap way to try to solve the problem I can think of:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2 0h45/radio/superadio/gesr_faq. html

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 777
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Batty, that Sunday morning slot is prime-time.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wait a minute... are you saying that Keener 13 is off the air?

Parkguy

Post Number: 157
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Super Radio is great, but remember that it does not receive digital (HD) radio. It has a signal amplifier that will really help with weak or distant AM signals. And, it has an external antenna connection (at least on older models it had one).

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 7543
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When that Sunday morning slot is the only interesting slot for the station, that makes it prime time.

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love listening to Randi Rhodes & Thom Hartmann. That coverage map posted earlier is a bit "liberal" (ha!)--I live in Brandon Twp. and rarely does it come in during the day, and never @ night. I have noticed that one of my parent's vehicles has a much stronger radio and it comes in better [in the Brandon Twp. area] on theirs. In my car, 1310 doesn't even seem to have that strong of a signal when I'm driving in the city or southern Oakland.

(Message edited by dustin89 on November 25, 2007)

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Air America is also on XM radio. Air America is my favorite station!

Skylark
Username: Skylark

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the same problem Air American cuts out at 5:15pm
from my house on the east side. Its like they turn the power down at night. I listen online or to the the archived shows if there's something of great interest to me.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love Thom Hartmann!

I often get 1310 here in Washtenaw county.

When you're on the west of the Detroit suburbs and you start to loose 1310 you can usually get 1290 AM which has Thom in the same time slot and the other Air America shows with a slightly different line-up.

(My Dad used to listen to WJR but got hip to the liberal stations real quick when he figured out he was being dumped on by their neo-con views.)

Jimaz

Post Number: 3906
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to reiterate trying an antenna amplifier.

I have another one that has three knobs: gain, range and tuner. You can select the exact frequency before (to avoid) amplifying any noise adjacent to that frequency. This is before it even gets into your radio. Works great for shortwave. Haven't tried it on Air America though.

Rogerjab
Username: Rogerjab

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You really have to be an idiot to embrace conservative talk radio. Between George Bush and John Engler they've brought this area, and middle America to their knees. By the way I always start my weekday mornings with "The Young Turks", best drive time radio by far.

Postbop

Post Number: 23
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura67-

If you love Thom, (if you haven't done so already), read his book, 'Screwed'. It's great, rational, pro-active, commentary on the suppression of the middle class.

Rogerjab-

I listen to 'The Young Turks' also, although now that it is dark in the morning I can't listen to the first part of the show. I might invest in a GE 'superradio'. I saw one on EBAY for $60.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2129
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like when Bobby Kennedy is on there, and Thom Hartmann is solid info.

The pseudo-Limbaugh sounding Ed Schultz is completely unnecessary.

I can REALLY do without the corny-ass Stephanie Miller with the dumb ass sound effects and constant gafawing at her own jokes.

I listen to all sorts of radio because one of my jobs is from home, so I also wade through all the neocon bilge like Hannity and Limbaugh as well as Beckman and Paul W. Smith.

At least Limbaugh and Hannity do not pretend to be unbiased radio - WJR is full of shit. Paul W. should stick to selling cars on all those crappy commercials and keep his narrow opinions to himself. Or at least come out and say what you are.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 292
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have any estimate as to what percentage of AM programming is local these days? I've been fooling around with the AM dial at night because I'm fascinated with the out-of-area
frequencies that come in. It gets dissapointing to hear nationally syndicated programs I can hear on local stations coming in on stations out of New York. I'm interested in hearing something unique to that region.
Ontario is good for this. They are very local-oriented on AM, and as an added plus, they still play music. I came across a country-music station from Sarnia that was playing this old and rare stuff Detroits 2 FM country stations don't. Unfortunately, I cannot find many stations from the US that are either heavy ion local content (at least at night) or still plays music,

Postbop

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephanie Miller's show is sometimes boring, and at times unlistenable- They can go for a whole hour without talking current events and opinions; small talk and dumb jokes. There are usually no good guests with opposite viewpoints to discuss.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 458
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only listen to 1310 on Sunday afternoons for Leo Laporte The Tech Guy, in my opinion, the best mainstream tech call-in show in the nation. I would listen on Saturdays, too, if they carried his Saturday show. I wish they carried both days.

As to reception, it's never good and it sounds way worse than other AM stations in the car or my radio.

As to the rest of the format, I don't like political talk on either side. It is, to me, not very entertaining. For talk radio I listen to WDET for the drive times and Detroit Today; and sometimes, if I need to know weather or something, WWJ; and then also I have a slew of podcasts I listen to on topics would never be on mainstream air.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every night i can get CKLW on my radio at my apartment in Manhattan. Always some conspiracy theory nutjob talking about reptoid shape shifters and illuminati....Funny Stuff!

Locano
Username: Locano

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Stephanie Miller, but I can understand why people don't like her. She certainly isn't your typical liberal radio host.

I didn't know 1310 had Leo Laporte at all! I've been sorely missing him ever since TechTV was turned into G4 and dropped his show. I'll have to tune in!

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just out and about & Thom Hartmann was coming in quite well this early afternoon.

Vic_doucette

Post Number: 359
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of those coverage maps, Dustin89, in my experience they are anywhere from 25% to 33% "optimistic." The better to sell it to you, my dear.

Parkguy

Post Number: 160
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leo LaPorte's show is available as a podcast. You can find it on iTunes or any other podcast directory. "This Week in Tech," or "TWIT."

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.