Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Greatest Detroit Songs « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lostlegumes
Username: Lostlegumes

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Metro Times--a snapshot of the top 10.

1 "What's Going On" Marvin Gaye
2 "Living for the City" Stevie Wonder
3 "96 Tears" Question Mark & the Mysterians
4 "No Fun" The Stooges
5 "Boogie Chillen" John Lee Hooker
6 "Runaway" Del Shannon
7 "I'm Eighteen" Alice Cooper
8 "Will You, Won't You, Be My Babe" McKinney's Cotton Pickers
9 "Love Child" The Supremes
10 "Kick Out the Jams" The MC5

Full list/story here.
http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=12036

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We could argue about the list forever but I would love to see it published nationally somewhere like Rolling Stone and then challenge another city anywhere to beat it.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2102
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um - "McKinney's Cotton Pickers" ? WTF ?

How about freakin Heavy Music or Ramblin Gamblin Man in the top 10 ? Those records were absolutely huge in their day.

At least City Slang and Maggot Brain are in the list.

Crapola ! (typical of MT)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3794
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd throw "Fell In Love With A Girl" in there, but that's just me. :-)

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, no "Ghostbusters" by Ray Parker Jr. ?

Mauser765

Post Number: 2105
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ! Ray Parker Jr - excellent !

You know Nathan Watts got his gig with Stevie based on a recommendation by Ray.

Dont know Nathan > ?

Check out the bass on "I Wish" for starters - thank me later.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Inner City Blues by Marvin Gaye. Detroit in a nutshell during the 70s.

Jazzstage
Username: Jazzstage

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mauser,

You must not know who the Cotton Pickers are but I will save my stories about the Greystone Ballroom and Don Redmen for Jimg. I was actually impressed that the MT would recognize anything like that.

You could also read all about it here: http://www.jazzstageproduction s.com/index.php?option=com_con tent&task=view&id=31&Itemid=50

Detroitrise

Post Number: 796
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Hamilton Bohannon song "Let's Start The Dance", was possibly a Detroiter's favorite dance song.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 351
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The McKinney's Cotton Pickers are a great band, they ushered in a new movement in jazz. They're name was racialized so they'd appeal to white audiences (this is 1927), but their music was still unbelievable. A Detroit original.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad THIRD POWER didn't get a nod. Or CACTUS even (somewhat of a mongrel Detroit band.) Speaking of mongrel...I always thought "Lucifer" (on Seger's Mongrel LP) was a bad-ass jam.
One thing for sure...This 100-song list demonstrates that Detroit's musical talent is just so freakin' expansive, it cannot be so summarily contained!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 967
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Third Power rated being on the list. I thought "Rock And Roll Music" (Frost) was a nice touch, though. It was a well thought out list, and my only real quibble was picking "Smokin' In The Boys Room" and not choosing "Rock And Roll Holiday". The Hideout single caught BS at their best.

All in all, a good list. Yes there will be arguements about what should or shouldn't be there (NO DORIENS? FOR SHAME!), but that's half the fun of these things.....

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 969
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Mauser, there was music in Detroit before John Lee Hooker...critically acclaimed music, to boot. And people loved it passionately, just as many of us love Motown, or Iggy Pop. Only diff is the musicians who played in McKinney's band, and their supporters, are all dead. "Time marches on..."

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question Mark & the Mysterians are from Saginaw. They were/are the children of Mexican migrants who settled in mid-Michigan to be close to the fields and to work in industry.

Elimarr

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right. The criteria is not real strict. Metro Times puff piece...just for fun. The lists imports from Flint and A2 too. Anita Baker (born in Toledo) represented for Detroit musically, but is missing. "No One In the World" is the one I would have picked, but she had many that could have made the list.

Johnfromsaginaw
Username: Johnfromsaginaw

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not only are Question Mark and the Mysterians from here, but Stevie Wonder is, too. QM and the boys still regularly perform at bars here and it's worth the $5 or so cover to go see them.
John
Admittedly, Stevie moved to Detroit when he was nine or so, but we still claim him as one of our own. Jazz legend Sonny Stitt was from here, too.
Happy Thanksgiving, all.

Craig

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamie Rodriquez(sp?) is also from Saginaw, but my Saginaw buddies don't like to talk about him.

Johnfromsaginaw

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm blanking on who Jamie Rodriquez is.
Question Mark's real name is Rudy Martinez and I have two different friends who knew/know him -- one was a neighborhood kid who'd sneak up to his family house's side door back in the day to listen to the Mysterians jam until they chased him away and another, a few years older, who went to high school with him.
Of course, Saginaw's a small (60K) town. It's not that strange to know people who know people here.
John
Also, while I'm picking nits, Del Shannon was from Coopersville, over near Grand Rapids. "Runaway" is a great tune, for sure, as are the others on the list.

Craig

Post Number: 500
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JR is the guy convicted of murdering and dismembering a runaway in Warren some years ago. Story made national news because he was working on getting the skull for use in satanic rituals. Not a Saginaw export that many people want to claim, I'm sure.

Elimarr

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yet another thread unraveled...
hope it gets back to Greatest Detroit Songs.

(Message edited by elimarr on November 22, 2007)

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 557
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What! No Trick Trick?

<313>

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 627
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnfromsaginaw

Good to hear from you. Last I knew, you were having some serious health issues. Glad you're
posting again ...

And as long as we're putting Tri-Cities into Detroit music, how about Bay City born Madonna?
No top of the chart song, however ...

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ted Nugent "The Motor City Madman" and Emilio Castillo, tenor saxophonist founder of the Tower of Power band with the great song "So Very Hard To Go".

Mauser765

Post Number: 2109
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I will save my stories about the Greystone Ballroom"

I know all about the Greystone, and even played there in my band from high school. Berry Gordy owned it at one point because he had boxed there - I salvaged many documents from the Donovan pertaining to Greystone btw.

"Yes, Mauser, there was music in Detroit before John Lee Hooker.."

No shit sherlock - my point is that Seger should be in the top 10, period.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3277
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't we disqualify Nugent for 1) being the world's largest tool and 2) moving to Crawford Texas?

and for sucking like a brand new Oreck (but that's just my humble opinion)?

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 971
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John, I'm impressed you know who Eddie Boatner is, let alone that he's from Saginaw!

Mauser, I hope you put his name on the space MT offers. I think Seger deserved a higher position, too.

Craig

Post Number: 504
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly not a Detroit band, but the Inmates' rendition of Dirty Water where they substituted "Detroit" used to hit me in the heart.

Another: "Motor City Serenade" by Stewart Francke (sp?) isn't great rock, but lyrically it captures the spirit of what once was. If I were a music thief & I find & burn it, but I'm waiting to find a used copy.

Johnfromsaginaw

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 5:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh. Stewart Francke's from Saginaw, too. His dad was mayor here in the 60s.
A Detroit band I don't see on the list (and, of course, I'm not hip to the city music scene as I've lived up here for all my 51 years) are the Romantics. I always thought they were pretty good.
Hope everyone had a swell Thanksgiving.
John
And I won't threadjack any more.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 503
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Songs reminding me of Detroit:
"Panic in Detroit" -David Bowie
"Freeeway of Love" - Aretha Franklin
"Dancing in the Street" - Martha and the Vandellas

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking at you by MC5 should be much higher than number 53.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Times will not include Nugent. They don't want to give him publicity because he is politically right-of-center and that magazine is extremely slanted to the left. He's extremely outspoken on views much different than theirs. Thats why I suspect there's no deadly Tedly on that list.
Of course, no Grand Funk Railroad either. The press hated them.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3063
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Metro Times will not include Nugent. They don't want to give him publicity because he is politically right-of-center and that magazine is extremely slanted to the left

Ted is on the list:

71 "Journey to the Center of the Mind" The Amboy Dukes (1968) Mainstream

The Amboy Dukes took their name from a defunct Detroit band of the same moniker, who in turn adapted it from Irving Shulman's 1940s era JD novel about gangland Brooklyn. But "Journey" seemed to point to an entirely more modern form of youth rebellion. From the psychedelic concept album of the same name, complete with a sleeve depicting what appeared to be the entire contents of an above-average head shop, Amboy Dukes founder — and staunch drug opponent — Ted Nugent always pleaded ignorance on the subject of this early, mind-expanding hit, despite recording a new version on his most recent

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 353
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Metro Times list did include Nugent as well as Grand Funk -- just not in the top 10.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackie Wilson should have been higher (and higher). Fun list anyway.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 816
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^I agree.

Daf
Username: Daf

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed the lack of Anita Baker too. And Sir Mack Rice definitely deserved to be in there for Mustang Sally.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 824
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice they didn't have popular Detroit dance songs and dance song groups either. I can give 10 right away.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 23, 2007)

Jackndabox
Username: Jackndabox

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "I who have nothing" by Terry Knight and the Pack... They later became Grand Funk Railroad.

Jackndabox
Username: Jackndabox

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Arbors had a hit called "symphony for susan".

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 656
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 2:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that the list was missing:

The Spikedrivers - "Strange Mysterious Sounds"
Sixto Rodriguez - "I Wonder"
SRC - "Eye of the Storm"
Dorthy Ashby - "Afroharping"
Parliament - "Flashlight"
Edwin Starr - "S.O.S."

and no mention of: Dirtbombs, Hentchmen, ADULT., Paybacks, Proof?

everything from the big mack label!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no fun is # 1 with me, p.s craig thanks for jogging my brain bout JR & his freezer.

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you people are gonna get silly I'll throw in "Blowing Up Detroit" by John Palumbo-covered by Austin's Will Sexton & "New World" by X-I will not reference the geographically incorrect "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fedde Le Grand's......Put your hands up for Detroit
great little tune

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.