Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Full Line grocery store opening downtown... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Flint that is. Sorry I just had to brag a little bit. I can't believe we are actually beating Detroit to something in our prospective resurgences. I know you are getting the Lafayette Park one but this one is downtown.
Witherbee's Market and Deli will be only 6000 square feet and on the northern fringe of downtown not to far from the now vacant Historic Durant Hotel which will be undergoing renovations into an apartment building.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/st ory?section=local&id=5773420

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 483
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are brave merchants - I hope that they don't get picked clean for their trouble.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's a sad state of affairs when a grocery store opening up in your neighborhood is considered something to brag about

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...surely you remember the rejoicing on this site when Eph's opened

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, Lafayette Park pretty much IS downtown.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's on the east side of 375. Not "downtown."

English
Username: English

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How are the letter-writing campaigns for Trader Joe's and Whole Foods going?

When I lived in Midtown in the early '00s, I wrote for Starbucks, who kept telling me the demographics weren't right. But you see they're there now!

And I mentioned the Evil Corporations because a huge venture can sustain the volatility of the Detroit market perhaps better than a single storefront, owner-operated business.

The other thing I'd love to see in central Detroit is a "soul vegetarian" restaurant. The Hebrew Israelites make vegetarian and vegan soul food that's to die for. It's perfectly seasoned and delicious, and they used to sell their meals on the FAMU "Set" back in the mid-90s when I was there. The nearest location is Chicago... I wrote then in 2004/5 and they said they were looking at the Detroit market. I know they'd be a hit b/c of demographics. Lots of black folks and Southerners who are now diabetic and have other health issues, and blackfolks like me who've been ruined by the A2 healthy eating culture. They also should come out with a make-at-home product line.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5622
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette Park, like Ann Arbor, is not a suburb. Chris rohn, keep 'em honest. Good quality post.

Some of these suburban freeway viewers tell jjaba, about his Westside perch, "Oh, you're right downtown" referring to Schoolcraft and Northlawn!

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That must be one mighty big perch Jjaba...

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and a heck of a lot of newspaper...

Gumby

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus,

I agree but when you look at how far Flint has fallen over the years you gotta realize how big a deal this really is.

Plus it makes my house near downtown that much more desirable.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 884
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont forget about the new Dollar store coming to Downtown Flint.
Thank God for UM-Flint.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2810
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I agree but when you look at how far Flint has fallen over the years you gotta realize how big a deal this really is."

So we agree then.

Gumby

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, which is why I started with the words "I agree".

But it is one more piece in the puzzle to revitalizing our pretty much vacant downtown. Downtown Flint really is on the upswing.

Kenp,
I am less than impressed with the Family Dollar coming to Windmill Place. Yeah it is great to see something happening there as well but until a few years ago there was one at the old walgreens on Saginaw and Second. Plus it is family Dollar not as cool as a true urban minded grocery store.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 887
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had many lunches at Windmill Place in the 80's, it was a great place.
The Durant Hotel project is exciting.
What area is your house Gumby?

Gumby

Post Number: 1652
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on E. Court in the college/cultural Neighborhood. I love it over there, neighbors are great and even though I am on a main street it is really quiet.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.