Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Has KK done enough to be re-elected? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 818
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Halfway through his 2nd term, the ol 'Hip-Hop Mayor' still doesn't have the pull he needs as Detroit's youngest mayor. The arrival of Quicken Loans is sure to be the sticking point of his upcoming campaign, but the whistleblower trial as well as the civil fund debacle (aka the Family Vacation) have to have people reeling over his squandering of funds that aren't available.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2059
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think it is a question of, "Has he done more to help the city then hurt it?"

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but the whistleblower trial as well as the civil fund debacle (aka the Family Vacation) have to have people reeling over his squandering of funds that aren't available.

You're assuming that actually matters to the majority of the voters in the city. KK will be re-elected for as many terms as he wants as long as he can always paint the challenger as a puppet of the "suburbs".

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2060
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you think that Kwame is a "puppet of the suburbs"? After all, in very general terms, he has concentrated redevelopment on places like downtown and midtown, which is where most suburbanites go that visit the city.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul ~
"Don't you think that Kwame is a "puppet of the suburbs"? After all, in very general terms, he has concentrated redevelopment on places like downtown and midtown, which is where most suburbanites go that visit the city"

Yep, that's right, and that's where they spend that almighty dollar.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2888
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spending suburban dollars in the city is not a bad thing

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to say this on another thread but so long as Steve Wilson is around, Kwame will keep getting elected. Steve more than any other person helped Kwame get elected last time.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^how'd he do that exactly?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2229
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't you think that Kwame is a "puppet of the suburbs"? After all, in very general terms, he has concentrated redevelopment on places like downtown and midtown, which is where most suburbanites go that visit the city.

AND that's where his campaign contributions come from!

Novine

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Wilson and his relentless harping on Kwame provided the perfect distraction for Kwame. He was able to use SW as an example of a non-Detroiter meddling in Detroit business and made him, not the Mayor, the focus of the election. If the vote had been a referendum on Kwame, he likely would have lost. But instead, it became a referendum on Detroit vs. Suburbs politics and that always works to the favor of the incumbent. Compare Kwame's experience with that of Jackie Currie.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 332
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the appropriate question is,

"Did KK do enough to even merit getting elected in the first place?"

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

novine stated....

quote:

I was going to say this on another thread but so long as Steve Wilson is around, Kwame will keep getting elected. Steve more than any other person helped Kwame get elected last time.

You can't be serious!....and the Mayors brilliant debating skills, intelligence, financial backing, political experience, Black Christian connection, and overall respect in the Black community had nothing to do with it__go figure!

blksoul_atcha!

Novine

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One could have asked the question about Brooks Patterson when he first got elected to Oakland County Executive. What were his qualifications? An entrenched county prosecutor who made a name for himself with his opposition to school bussing, several failed attempts to bring back the death penalty to Michigan and an ongoing war-of-words with Coleman Young. How does that make one qualified to run one of the largest governmental bodies in the state?

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Or the rest of those OC politicians who form their campaigns around not sending money to Detroit...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10822
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

KK will be re-elected for as many terms as he wants as long as he can always paint the challenger as a puppet of the "suburbs".

The same tired, bs argument.

Artistic
Username: Artistic

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1...I agree....city vs suburb....black vs white....same old blah blah and of course this is always the case in Detroit Metro.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it will get us no where

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 327
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj,

You said a mouthful. Tried & true for 40+ years.

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say yes - KK has done enough. If he gets one more notch under has his belt like BofA, in these tough times, I'd say he a shoe-in.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6818
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If KING KWAME is the "puppet of the suburbs." Black Detroiters may think that he's selling out all of the Detroit black ghettohoods for white progress.

KING KWAME will be re-elected as mayor, but this time he would have the commanding lead in the polls. Plus he has the black slate on his side, too.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether or not he's a shoe-in, Izzadore, will depend on whether or not folks in the neighborhoods get to vote. And, last time I checked, we do.

Rosa Parks will not have another funeral.

His next opponent isn't likely to have the kind of political baggage that Freman Hendrix did, as former chair of reform school board.

If Mayor Kilpatrick wants to retain his office, he is going to have to figure out what happened to the guy who campaigned on the platform of "Kids. Cops. Clean."

He and his staff have 1 year, 11 months and 2 weeks to make it happen.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 488
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we monitor Belle Isle on Election night...late at night...the answer to the thread's question is "no."

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 614
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are there term limits for his position?

Izzadore

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Fnemecek and I hope your right about that. KK is very charismatic though. Like it or not, he may very well be Michigan's most popular Democrat right now. Also, aside from his private/personal issues he's got a lot of ammo with regard to Detroit's Downtown resurgence.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 249
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No term limits apply for this position. We are stuck with KK for as long as he chooses to run. Hendrix supporters gave their all during the last election and were quite surprised at the outcome, shocked actually. Who could beat him? Any suggestions?

Izzadore

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Conyers? Not to say that he'd run...

(Message edited by izzadore on November 20, 2007)

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most everyone I know - which is voting residents - have no problem with voting the mayor back in. No one can beat him - there are some good things happening. Unless he is caught in bed with a dead girl or live boy (old Louisianna saying) he is going to get elected again.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how sad that is.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 475
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mayor in my opinion, HAS done enough to be reelected into office, but has also done enough to not be reelected. I didn't vote him back in the last election and would most likely not in the next. It's a shame, because I DO give him a lot of credit for what has happened, BUT I do believe someone with higher ethical standards is just as capable.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2232
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I honestly don't see anyone on the horizon who I'd rather have running the city right now... Which is sad because I was very much against him being re-elected. Barring some new scandal (and by new, I mean nothing heldover from his first term) I think the job is probably his as long as he wants it.

That said, I really don't see him staying for more than 1 more term. He's a smart guy and a young guy. Both too smart and young to typecast himself as permanent mayor of Detroit. He'd rather be seen as the mayor to get the ball moving. He'll stick around to (hopefully) get some more perceived wins under his belt, then he'll probably run for his mother's seat in Congress.

Jerrytimes
Username: Jerrytimes

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rocket. What exactly has he done that wasn't started by Archer?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 694
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame said a few stupid things, everyone agrees he has done a couple stupid things, everyone agrees, but I hope he takes the path he has taken recently which is good for Detroit. He can make good if he keeps doing what he has been doing, recent incidents aside. I did not vote for him by the way.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, steve wilson to blame? Without SW, nobody would have ever known about the navigator or kwame's other screw-ups. He would have been re-elected by 50 points. Instead, he won because he turned Freman into the "white man's candidate."

Yeah, right out of the Coleman A. Young playbook! Go Kwame!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.