Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Who gets drug forfeiture money? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10821
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man admits to running drug ring, must cough up $270 million

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071119/NEW S01/71119067

quote:

Demetrius Flenory, 39, originally of Detroit pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn in Detroit. He admitted being the leader of a criminal enterprise that trafficked mainly in cocaine from 1990-2005, generating millions of dollars, which he used to buy real estate, vehicles and jewelry.

He faces the prospects of 30 years to life in prison at sentencing early next year. He also agreed to forfeit $270 million to the government.

Does the city of Detroit were he probably caused a lot of the problems get any of that money. It would be nice if a chunk of that went to the city for grant money to hire more officers to go after scumbags like this guy.

Who gets the money? Federal Gov't? Seeing that our government has cut many programs to fund additional officers in our cities it would be nice if DPD could get some of this money.

Anyone know how the distribution works?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyone know how the distribution works?

Of the drugs?

Stick with an honest occupation, it isn't worth it. :-)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3141
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It amazes me how greedy these guys get. If they'd just settle for a few million a lot of them wouldn't get busted and could live happily ever after.

I imagine the forfeiture $$ either goes to the Feds, if they're involved, or gets split between state and local agencies. In a bust this size I'd guess the Feds grab it all.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3855
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find anything but federal jurisdiction mentioned at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A sset_forfeiture.

Good question.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 682
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question,
Can I make a citizens arrest and then proceed to take all the seized money? :-)

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty2 said: "Question,
Can I make a citizens arrest and then proceed to take all the seized money?"

You could, but if I were you, I'd keep some heat on me and watch my back everywhere I went. Good luck with that!

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The money generally is distributed to the agency that conducted the investigation. If DPD assisted with the investigation they would get a percentage.

Forfeiture money cannot be used for general fund expenses. The money has to be designated to use for equipment or personnel to fight drugs. If DPD were to get some of this money, they can't use it to hire new officers.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4310
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the clarification DPD blue. I understand the point but it kind of sucks. I am sure the city, DPD, and DFD were on the hook for the petty crime, OD's, burned out houses, and other mayhem this king pin created by his actions. They all deserve a piece of that pie.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 881
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother in law took me to the Buick Open Golf tournament in the Flint area. The golf course, Warwick Hills, is surrounded my some nice houses. After the golf was over we ran into a friend who invited us to a party at one of the homes on the course. It was big and plush, the owner was in his mid 30's. He had nice cars and all the toys you could want. He was obviously well off. I found out later the guy was retired, and only in his 30's. Come to find out he used to work for FANG (Flint area narcotics group).

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame...then Carlita and then any pee-ons that keep it quiet. If theres any left it goes to the PD.
I KNOW that officers get sticky fingers in these kinda things.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

270 million paid to the fed's, where is my money? :-)
I wonder how many people got murdered, hooked, booked and f'd up on the shit going on in this investigation before the police got involved. There has to be millions in police payoffs to let this go on for so long. It is impossible for a criminal enterprise to operate this large for this long without police and political protection help.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071120/NEW S01/71120060/1009/NEWS07

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any monies confiscated from a dope house should go to uplifting and upgrading that particular neighborhood.
The FEDS have enough money already.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ed,

Technically they don't. Otherwise we wouldn't have a national debt.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read the City of Fraser used Forfeiture money to buy a fire truck and various other public safety gear over the past couple years.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame...then Carlita and then any pee-ons that keep it quiet. If theres any left it goes to the PD.
I KNOW that officers get sticky fingers in these kinda things.

-I was going to say, I thought it was unofficially the arresting officers'

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.