Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » One Less Church in Detroit (and Delray) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 381
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article, from Detroitblog, chronicles the closing of St. John Cantius in Delray. It truly looks like a beautiful structure, and it is unfortunate that the structure will not be saved.

http://metrotimes.com/editoria l/story.asp?id=11944

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't say that the structure won't be saved. It will be sold. Still a shame, though. It will probably be ravaged by scrappers before the end of the year.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4040
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other Catholic parishes in Detroit need to take measures to prevent a repeat performance by the AoD.

First, if you are an observant Catholic who lives in Detroit, go to Mass at your parish church. But don't just do that, make sure that your friends and family in the suburbs go to church with you at that church at least once a month.

Many times this works out on its own. Families who move to the suburbs go back to the beautiful inner city church that they used to live near every now and then. But inner city parishes need to cultivate ongoing relationships with such people. They need to start special upkeep collections, and allow for a sort of semi-membership in the parish. Some of the most notable landmark parishes in the city have strong support from members who no longer live in the city, but they need to work on expanding their revenue streams.

The best thing to do is not to get lost in the dollars and cents. Just go to church, and get your friends and family to go to church with you, and things will work out, especially if other people do the same thing as you. It certainly won't hurt you!

New population inflows into the City, inflows of youth and empty nesters coming back from the suburbs, will probably help a few churches here and there.

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is only my personal story, not meant as a commentary on the status of young Catholics at large, although I know many people like me. I am a fully initiated Catholic, but my local church served an aging community with very few youth. There was only one other student that got confirmed with me in 1999 in a church that was 2/3 to 3/4 full most Sundays. They had a thriving ministry to a local retirement home and collected small gifts to distribute to the residents as bingo prizes as well as sending knitting supplies as well. But there were no youth, therefore no youth ministry or encouragement for those of us that are members of my generation. When I met my husband, who is a Romanian Pentecostal (more reserved than American Penti churches, kind of like Baptist here), I was surprised that there was Sunday school (never had that, only a year of Catechism in 2nd and 8th grade, because they didn't have enough kids for the other years), youth group, a ministry for young single people, a family ministry for people married between 0-7 years, 8-14 and 15+, a women's group, mens group that play soccer and fellowship after the game, the list goes on. They make a huge effort to meet you at the stage you're in, which my Catholic church definitely did not do. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy for my church, if you don't have many young people, it isn't worth it to minister to the ones you do have, which makes the ones you do have more inclined to leave. My home church was recently combined with several other parishes due to declining membership and i don't wonder why, but it makes me sad none the less.

Cman710

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nainrouge, I am sorry if I misstated what the article said. It is true that the article does not indicate the structure will not be saved. I guess my assumption belies my underlying thoughts, which are the following:
(1) A beautiful church does not have many uses, besides religious ones.
(2) Property in the area is not very valuable anyway, and may become less so, depending on future developments.
(3) An investor with the resources to maintain such a beautiful building remains unlikely.

The most likely way to save the building would probably be a non-profit community group that maintained the building, retained security, and used the building for occasional religious and otherwise community events.

Unfortunately, however, an abandoned church remains ripe for scrapping. Without the support of the church, which used the building frequently and had resources to maintain it, the outlook remains grim. It is very sad.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2588
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Recent Forum discussions on this topic...

St. John Cantius slated to close in October
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/114759.html

St. John Catius Closing https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/117482.html

Last mass at St. John Cantius, Sunday, October 28
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/117535.html

Cman710

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the links, Kathleen! Sometimes I have trouble finding things in the archives. What a sad story! I wish I had been able to see the church before it closed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.