Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Scrappers, looters, squatters trashing Cleveland... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...in case you thought Detroit was the only place this kind of thing is happening:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/1 6/real_estate/suprime_and_crim e/index.htm?cnn=yes

I don't know why, but I feel a slight sense of relief knowing we're not the only ones telling these kind of horror stories. Like maybe, eventually, the powers that be will take notice.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3710
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crack down on the companies that pay for scrap. I know it's unfair to them in a way, but sometimes people ruin it for everybody. Consider it ruined.

Diehard

Post Number: 201
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I just saw the other thread about Cleveland where I should've posted that. My bad.

Diehard

Post Number: 202
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree there needs to be a serious crackdown on scrap metal buyers. They know damn well when the stuff they're buying is stolen. Some cities are considering laws that require payment by check (which can be tracked) and a 30-day waiting period to get paid. Don't know how much good that would do, though, unless it was enacted everywhere. It might slow down some crackheads who can't think 30 days ahead.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2784
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/node/46937

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3712
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, yes. It was almost funny the first 20 times it was posted here. :-)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 593
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "Crack down on the companies that pay for scrap."

I agree JL, these guys that buy scrap aren't stupid. They can tell whats stolen and whats been discarded. They're playing dumb and laughing all the way to the bank. Whan a guy brings in brand new aluminum coils from someone's central unit, they know it's stolen. New water pipes, or pipes that are in good shape. Nobody is going to remove large amounts of copper pipe. Not truckloads anyway.

The problem truly is as with most crimes committed, they happen because there is a small price to pay generally if they're caught.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitn'ClevelandYes.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3713
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of them don't even realize what the copper is worth. Some jackass got caught stealing a few copper pipe fittings at the ACE by my house. Like a handful of small copper elbows is going to bring in hundreds of bucks. No dude, if ACE is selling them for $1 a piece, they probably are worth somewhere just below that. Now you're arrested for stealing $5 worth of plumbing.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 314
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is happening all over the US, Europe, etc. Definitely not Detroit-specific.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of scrappers, I had to shake my head at the Parade when one of the airplanes dragging advertising banners kept circling downtown with the ad: "Got Scrap Metal? Call Iron Mike".

I bet Iron Mike's market research tells him to keep his advertising strictly in the D.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno, I think the scrappers in Baltimore still have the Detroit ones beat. Remember this story?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/ article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/11/ 25/MNGE4FTR571.DTL

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We just spoke with friends in Dallas and they are having the same problems there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.