Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Places to Study in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any opinions on where the best places to study are in the city, libraries, coffee houses(with outlets), etc. If so do you have hours of operation for these places?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2859
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen a lot of people studying in the main branch of the Detroit Public Library

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

During the day the Rowland Café (no outlets) in the lobby of the Guardian building is great. Closer to WSU I favor the Java Exchange on Burroughs. Another good spot: Cafe 1923 in Hamtramck. Amsterdam at Second and Forest is nice if you can hack the smoke--better in summer. Also good in warm weather--Campus Martius, with free wireless (no outlets there, however). The lack of a late-night place in the city is a problem, but the two Starbucks are open until 11 or so--Amsterdam is the latest of the indies, closing at 9 (Cafe 1923 is sometime around then). It irritates me that other places are willing to cede the late-night market to Starbucks. Anyone know of a bar in the city that isn't too dark and has wireless?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 474
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harborlight - Sproat & Cass. Lunch served mid-morning 'til two.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2778
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd floor of the WSU Law library is always very quiet and there is always ample space, except for the few weeks before finals...then it can get a little crowded

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Public Library's Main Hours and location:

Main Library
5201 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202
Phone: (313) 833-1000
Hours of Operation:
T & W: Noon - 8:00 pm
Th, F, Sa: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Branches:
http://www.detroitpubliclibrar y.org/branches/Branch_Library. htm

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like in the stacks of the Purdy library at WSU. Usually the second and third floor are very quite. I rarely even see any one in there

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The map division/biography room and the Burton Collection at the DPL main branch are great places to study: big windows, lots of quiet, and quite a view of blossoming trees in the spring.

Spitcoff

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only problem I have with the DPL main brach is that there is no wifi or there was none the last time i was in there which was about a year ago

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 350
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they have wifi now.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4031
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the DPL but I need nighttime hours to study.

When I toured Wayne Law School I asked about their library hours and apparently it's only open til 10 or 11pm. I found that really strange. The only post 10pm study spot on campus then becomes the undergrad library.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 617
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found the Marygrove library, and especially the reuther library on wayne's campus great study places but as far as I know neither has wifi.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, the only places open in Detroit after 11pm are bars. If you're looking for some places to study, I've found Cafe 1923 in Hamtramck and the Java Exchange on Burroughs to be the best coffeehouses to work in. Both close fairly early and have bad weekend hours.

The WSU Law Library is open until 11 on weeknights and is very quiet and nicer than the DPL. Just outside of Detroit, the Java Hutt in Ferndale is alright since they fixed their bad wireless (and they're open until midnight on weekends) and the Caribou Coffee in Royal Oak is alright and open fairly late, as well.

All of the above have Wifi, although WSU wifi requires a WSU userid.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 605
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Purdy-Kresge's open pretty late (or was when I was doing my master's at WSU).

Sounds like a great business market for a brave soul willing to check into Midtown.

However, that's not unusual, I am finding. Even in Ann Arbor, there aren't many places to study after 11 pm/midnight other than the libraries and the 24 hour S'bucks @ Arborland.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4034
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I'd always like more study hours here in A2, English, there is one library open til 4am, and two others open til 2am. Mason Hall is also always open to students and staff. The campus Starbucks are open til midnight, which is a pretty logical last call for coffee.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 773
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was going to suggest the central branches of the DPL, but others have already given it.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4307
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Cafe has wifi. Sit upstairs; it is peaceful and you won't take up their productive tables.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3653
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh no -- cass cafe nostalgia kick

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3720
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Cafe has some aioli sauce that, when eaten, will ensure nobody bothers you while you're studying.

Blksoul_x
Username: Blksoul_x

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle is a great place to study__quiet, tranquil...also a great place to sleep!

blksoul-atcha!

Detroitpharmstudent
Username: Detroitpharmstudent

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus - you can't tell anyone about the 2nd floor of Law library! its a top secret. Soon everyone will be there! Just kidding, but thats my favorite spot too.

Waltbaby01
Username: Waltbaby01

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gotten a lot of good study time at the Ford Library in Dearborn. Just go in and walk up to the third floor. Plenty of table space. Can't beat it.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5159
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I caught one of Detroit's brighter students studying the doors and locks on my Jeep the other day when it was parked at a friends in IV. Residential streets are clearly the best places to study.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 720
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Espresso Jazzy Cafe in Harmonie Park has Wifi outlets and is open pretty late...I've even seen him serving coffee after the bars close. He's new and is willing to accommodate those that need to stay late.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to second the suggestion of the Cass Cafe. Nothing makes studying more enjoyable than $1 PBRs. Or $2 Ghettoblasters. Or $1 Black Labels.

And as far as bars go, its not as smoky as many and if you go during the week, it generally doesn't get too loud (at least for my tastes).

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2013
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandfather, who became a Circuit Judge in Oakland County, "read the Law " ( no actual law school required back then) in an attorney's office in Pontiac in 1893/94.
My Dad studied for the Michigan Bar Exam in 1930 in Palmer Park.
I studied for it at the McGregor Library in Highland Park in 1964
Three generations of lawyers,three different venues for studying purposes.
Whatever works.

Spitcoff

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The study rooms in the nursing building at wsu are nice 2

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rock, I wouldn't currently recommend the McGregor Library for bar exam prep on account of it being boarded up.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 323
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UD Mercy Law Library downtown, second and third floors. They have WiFi but they're not open super late (about 10 pm on Weekdays).

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Home.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 692
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Purdy Kresge on the top floors was great for me minus the hiss of the heating system. I can also recommend that you try in the classroom buildings such as State Hall just find an empty class room and stay in there late. I have left State Hall well after 1am a few times with no problems being there so late from any janitor etc.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.