Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Stevenson-Industrial Apts « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have info on the Stevenson-Industrial Apts or the O' Brian Apts on Washington Blvd?

I pass these apartments every day on my walk to work and there's something about them that always makes me pause and stare. I know a fire struck the S-I Apts back in 2003, but is there any way to find historic &/or current photos of the building's interior, or to find the current cost of rent? I've been Googling for a few hours but I haven't garnered much info. It would surely be great to move there and live so close to work.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Steven-Industrial building are subsidized senior citizen apartments. It's an absolutely beautiful example of Louis Kamper design I must say.

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Griswold building 1214 Griswold is seniors only too. Used to work for the management company that ran the buildings. Don't know if the same company still runs it.

Saintme

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad, the O'Brien Apartments are on Michigan Ave. That's the other way I take to work.

It's a bummer the S-I is senior housing only. I doubt I make much more than the tenants. I'm incredibly jealous. I would love to take a look inside that building, I just don't have the patience to wait 50 years to qualify for a lease.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 3:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Industrial Bank Building is one of my favorites. I know not why. I was hanging out in my friend's apartment in the Trolley that is directly across from the Industrial and just... wow. I'd love to see what the rooms at the top, where the huge arched windows are, must have looked like in the day. I'm sure they're not as impressive now.
A postcard of the building from my collection:
http://i215.photobucket.com/al bums/cc280/buildingsofdetroit/ Postcards/IndustrialBankBuildi ng.jpg

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's Trolley doing these days??

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 786
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saintme, would this happen to be you?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ait9.zQRPN_RZe7Hohmv.INQ7hR.;_ylv=3?qid=20071119184145AAd2usS

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 20, 2007)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 693
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been in there before and went up to the lease desk on the 20th floor or so. They told me that to live there you needed to qualify by being in a certain income bracket and they base the rent on your income. Dont get any bad ideas in your head. From what I saw the halls and laundry rooms were very clean and the people I met very nice and helpful. It is a very nice building. From above.
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Detroit1 35.jpg

Saintme

Post Number: 62
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise,

Yes that is me - being lazy and posting the same post on two different websites. I figured I'd have a better chance of getting info here, but Yahoo was worth a shot.

Rhymeswithrawk & Fareastsider - I'm not sure what's up but I couldn't get those links to work.

I suppose I could make my Grandma go in with me and say we're looking for a place for her, but I'm not that desperate yet.
I guess I'll have to be content with observing from the street for now.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.