Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Penny Postcards - Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found this site

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgen web/mi/wayne/postcards/ppcs-de troit.html

There are all sorts of scenes from days gone by. Thought someone might be interested in giving it a look see. There are a few buildings shown in Detroit that I do not remember. Like the Eaton Tower Building...where would that have been located? Anyone?

You can click on Home on the site and pick any state to see other penny postcards.

Enjoy.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 590
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie: Thanks...my folks would have loved those pics...Morris Thompson 1904-1984, DPD Badge #1052 and Katherine LaDuke Thompson 1908-1996.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 339
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, I can just imagine the Book Tower gleaming white, with a brown copper top:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgen web/mi/wayne/postcards/detroit /book.jpg

amazing! I hope they clean the tower soon. Once BC is finished it should spur some progress with this impressive tower.

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eaton Tower is the David Broderick Tower on Woodward at Grand Circus Park.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1932
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of those postcards were from the Detroit Publishing Co, the archives are online at the Library of Congress. Thousands of Detroit, as well as other images.

http://rs6.loc.gov/detroit/det home.html

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny, i first recognized "eaton tower" because of the adjacent sign on the madison:

http://www.forgottendetroit.co m/madison/h1.htm

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I ask whether these postcards are worth money?

I say this because I bought a stack from a neighbor at a garage sale this past summer...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 993
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was the Aviation Town and Country Club Building?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrenite84: Thanks for identifying the Eaton Tower for me. I didn't recognize it without all the other buildings around it. And the name Eaton threw me.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your answer, Eric:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/115593.html

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 392
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 4:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never heard of a the Aviation Town and Country Building. At 26 or 28 stories it would be a litlle difficult to miss, was it renamed? http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgen web/mi/wayne/postcards/detroit /atcc.jpg

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 689
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there was a thread about the Aviation Town and COuntry Building as somebody found it and wondered if it ever was built and I dont think it was built.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, as I posted before in this thread, here is the link to the Aviation Town and Country Bldg:

Your answer, Eric:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/115593.html

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2582
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renfirst: The value of the postcards depend on age and condition. If you are talking about postcards such as seen through the links provided, I would say that most dealers will charge no less than $1 per postcard, unless in poor condition. But if the subject matter is deemed rare or highly desirable, the price may go as high as $8. That's the type of price range I've seen in the last couple years at antique shows and malls. It could be a different matter if you sell them on eBay where some cards are sold individually, but many are sold in lots. You might check eBay to see what's happening there.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 999
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where on Washington was it supposed to be?

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The postcard of the Tuller building and Church of Our Father-- the trees at the curb and the interesting views coming from the angled streets downtown-- really makes it beautiful. Very human scale.

I have a bunch of old postcards of Detroit that I'll have to scan and post. I look for new ones every time I go to an antique store. I find lots of good ones up north-- where the cards were sent!

I've looked for business postcards that feature Rosedale Park or Grandmont or Old Redford, but I've come up with nothing. Has anyone found any like that?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 4:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if the subject matter is deemed rare or highly desirable, the price may go as high as $8.

They can go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay higher than that. I know I've paid more than $8 for certain buildings. The Michigan Theatre cards spring to mind. Those go for about $15. I've seen Navin Field/Bennett Park ones go for $25. I know the Hotel Yorba cards go for a lot, too, because of the White Stripes connection.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.