Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Is GM's Green Tech Better Than Toyota's? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is GM's Green Tech Better Than Toyota's"

"In the next 24 months, General Motors (GM), Chrysler, Daimler (DAI) and BMW (BMWG) will collectively bring out at least nine hybrid trucks and sport-utility vehicles, including the Chevrolet Tahoe and Chrysler's Aspen and Dodge Durango, which are being unveiled this week at the Los Angeles Auto Show. But for the conditions of a joint technology agreement among the companies, each vehicle might have a badge on its side-panel that says "GM Inside."

That's right, GM, once a laggard in fuel efficiency technology, is making its nemesis Toyota (TM)—the undisputed image leader in fuel-efficient transportation—take notice by starting a new and legitimate rivalry for the next generation of hybrid trucks and SUVs, as well as plug-in vehicles. Chrysler, Mercedes-Benz, and BMW all opted in 2005 to adopt GM's hybrid technology in a four-company venture, rather than to license Toyota's hybrid hardware."

http://www.businessweek.com/au tos/content/nov2007/bw20071113 _975898.htm

This raises an interesting issue. If GM's hybrid technology ends up being more generally useful than Toyota's technology, it could auger well for GM in the coming years. Of course, how well it will be marketed (and whether it will catch on) remains to be seen.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for GM! But why won't they make a Prius-killer I wonder? I don't know if truck and SUV owners are the type to care about saving gas or the planet.

I look forward to the Chevy Volt in 2008.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1874
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

um toyota makes a shitload of fullsize trucks and pickups too.

from the announcement regarding the new 2008 toyota sequoia just unveiled at the LA autoshow:
quote:

The 4x4 Sequoia's 13 mpg/18 mpg rating is better than all its SUV rivals except GM's two-mode hybrids (20 mpg city/20 mpg highway).

http://forums.thecarlounge.net /zerothread?id=3542940

the new gm hybrid trucks 35% more efficient in the city, and 10% highway. that is a pretty remarkable improvement.

there is a very important qualifier in this line of the article

quote:

That's right, GM, once a laggard in fuel efficiency technology, is making its nemesis Toyota (TM)—the undisputed ***image*** leader in fuel-efficient transportation

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5607
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compared to Prius, the mileage ratings of the above-captioned GM hybrids does not compete for "Green." People tell jjaba they get 50 MPG with their little Toyotas.

The San Antonio truck strategy of Toyota seems to be selling, not only in Texas but plenty more.

For generations, Chrysler, Ford, and GM carved out portions of the USA for truck sales. Move on over, Toyota is invested bigtime in that market.

jjaba on the Westside.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3121
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't kid yourselves - hybrid SUVs are the way to go

Americans have shown time and again, when fuel costs aren't such an issue, they want the larger vehicles. Providing larger vehicles with real fuel savings over the earlier ones, along with a green image, is thinking way ahead of Toyota. The new Ford Escape hybrid even beats Toyota's hybrid Highlander for fuel efficiency.

Now if battery hybrid technology gets mated with flex fuel (which Toyota doesn't even market)...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know where 13/18 for a Sequoia beats a Chevy Tahoe 4x4 5.3L V8 gets 14/20. But hey, what do I know?

In addition, Tundra sales have not been what Toyota predicted. They stated they're aiming for 200,000 sales per year, a pace they are having trouble meeting despite a brand new truck and huge incentives on the vehicle. Add to it they've had issues with camshafts on the 5.7L, problems with the torque converters on the automatics, tailgates that are falling off, and are below-average in reliability according to consumer reports doesn't help. I think they thought they couldn't compete with the last Tundra because it wasn't beefy enough, and made the assumption that if they could make something just as beefy or maybe even slightly beefier, that truck buyers would come flocking. Thing is that domestic truck buyers, for the most part, LOVE their trucks. This isn't an instance where the domestics are garbage like it was with cars way back when Detroit handed the Japanese the car market. Even though competitive on every level, the Tundra doesn't provide any reason to make the switch. A problem Detroit is finding in trying to get Japanese car buyers to switch back to Detroit metal. As good as the new Malibu is, it is in the same position as the new Tundra. Just as good or slightly better, but without enough reason for loyal customers to actually switch.

The real mistake, however, is I still don't understand why Toyota built that brand new plant in San Antonio. They spent an ungodly amount of money on the plant, as of now (and to my knowledge) the Tundra is the only expected vehicle to be built there. Meanwhile, this leaves Princeton, Indiana (which used to build the Tundra and Sequoia) supplying only the Sequoia. I'm telling you now that if sales don't shape up (and they aren't expected to, full size truck and SUV sales are taking huge hits across all companies), Toyota could be in a serious overproduction situation. Add to this they're building a new plant in Tupelo, Mississippi as well, and I can't help but wonder if they have gotten a little too carried away with their future volume predictions. Not good.

Of course, when you still make billions in profit each quarter, and you've got more money than God in the bank, you can afford a few missteps now and then. But the thing that surprises me the most is that Toyota NEVER made such big missteps in the past, and their quality was never suspect. Now overcapacity and quality slipping with more money than god? Sounds a bit like a certain Detroit-based giant of 30-40 years ago (cough....GM.....cough).

Not that it is too late, or they aren't still printing money, but these are not good signs. If they turn it around, perhaps it is just a hiccup. Only time will tell us which way they're going to end up going.

I'm just amazed at how boldly people predict Toyota's world domination for eons to come. Yeah, they'll probably be the biggest car company on earth. Yeah, they make the most money. But I can't help but think of GM of 40 years ago, when they were the industrial giant of the world. Nobody thought they'd ever NOT be #1. Nobody thought GM would ever be on the verge of bankruptcy. I remember claims in the 90's that Ford was on track to pass GM to become the world's biggest within something like 5 years. We all know how that turned out. I'm just surprised at how quickly folks are ready to make predictions about this stuff. This business changes quickly. A few more recalls, a few botched launches, a few plants with overcapacity, a real bump in the economy and things could shuffle massively yet again.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6464
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If GM can come out swinging and maybe hit a homerun with this stuff then all the better. As far as I'm concerned a little healthy competition is a good thing for us consumers. It just hasn't been a healthy competition for the longest time with the foreign cars kicking the Big Three's butt. It's nice to see GM investing some of its capital into something that might actually make a market difference and maybe win back some consumer confidence.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.