Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Movin' the "D" Forward « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in:

http://www.wwj.com/pages/12084 05.php

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2043
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is all this talk (mainly I hear/see it in conjunction with the Quicken announcement) about "Detroit 2.0"? Is that a term that someone used?

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan Gilbert is calling the whole hq move along with the goal to bring other companies downtown, "Detroit 2.0". He's saying the manufacturing era in Detroit was 1.0 and the high-tech era will be 2.0

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High tech jobs are great, but we can't just cut all our manufacturing ties like that.

We are the home of the big 3, and have ties with a lot of manufacturers. A full on rush on technology could potentially take us back to the 80's.

We need to embrace high tech industries without forgetting our manufacturing roots. I mean face it, if the big 3 were doing great we'd say we didn't need technology. Lets move into Detroit 1.5 for now.

(Message edited by k-slice on November 16, 2007)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4305
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that 2.0 definition should include any intangible non-manufacturing industry, entertainment, gambling, sports, dining, including.

In the past decade we have witnessed just that transformation downtown, a process set in motion by, among others, none other than Coleman A. Young.

It is a bit of a crib of the term Web 2.0, meaning the visitor created content social side of the internet such as myspace, youtube, and social networking, like DetroitYES.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4005
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2.0 means we will have 2 million people again.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you all want to come to my event? :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.