Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » This morning w/ VA. Park/ LaSalle Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Three_lakes_strongs
Username: Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning began with a trip to Clairmount and 12th. I don't know why I have'nt been there in a while. I went there last I think on the 40th anna. of the riots. I remember that day. It was a thick air day. But this morning I went there, mabye it was the chill in the air. When I got there I met a man and we started talking. He told me about when the riots began and where he was a what he was doing that day, it included going to that Blind Pig where the riots started for a drink to celebrate the birth of his daughter. THen he told me about growing up in the neighborhood and how the riot came about As he pointed to the place in the middle of 12th and Clairmount showing me where the rioter's were and where the police were when it all went down-he was in the initial crowd. He said that the rioters were throwing rocks at the police and how Mayor Cavanaugh ordered the Detroit Police Dept to stand down, that he said they did. He said shortly after the riot began that he witnessed the Detroit Police get in there cars at 12th and Clairmount and retreat. Then how later on that day how the Michigan National Guard and the Airborne came and what they did. Then he told me of this house on LaMonthe and LaSalle in the LaSalle gardens. And how a white "hippy dude" was living there and how he had shot a at Armored Personell carrier. Then how the M.N.G shot the house up. And how still to this day you can see the bullets hole on the side of the house form that shootout. So then I made my way to that house. When I got there I could see the holes for my own eyes. I could see that here was 2 lines of fire taken by the M.N.G., one shotting up the front, one the side. There was a cluster of holes particulary around one window. Here are the pictures for yourself to see....My morning with Va./LaSalle Park

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well if I could figure out how to get there pics of this bullet hole house up on here I would but it won't let me dispite all my editing. It's always gives me the same message...pics are too big....over 550 x 550 pixl....sorry it's these stupid computers

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Three_lakes_strongs.
Try, if you can, to reduce the size of the images.

I grew up not far from there. 12th and LaMothe. I remember seeing bullet holes as well as hearing them.
As a pre-teen, to me it was scary but interesting.

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the top of the total run of pics....Upper window with alot of bullet holes around it, bullet holes on chimney, corner , front of house-2 pics with random bullet holes....there were two lines of fire.....front and side.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three_lakes_strongs, these photos are a fantastic contribution for a newcomer. Welcome to the forum.

I liked this line:
quote:

a white "hippy dude" was living there and how he had shot a at Armored Personell carrier.

There's one hippy stereotype toppled. :-)

This seems to be the favorite tool here for adjusting images to the 550x550 pixels/50kb file size constraint: http://www.irfanview.com/.

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a hippy, in a way....shoot we all hippies....why you think my name three_lakes_strongs....look outside strongs michigan on the map.....three lakes is my spot

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the one of the window with the most holes again....I could'nt get the chimney one to uplaod though...

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the MNG not think that the hippie man could hide behind a masonry wall a foot thick? That usually stops most ammunition.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three_lakes_strongs
"I'm a hippy, in a way....shoot we all hippies....why you think my name three_lakes_strongs....look outside strongs michigan on the map.....three lakes is my spot"

So, do you now live there at/near those 3 lakes?

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/m ap.adp?searchtype=address&coun try=US&addtohistory=&searchtab =home&formtype=address&popflag =0&latitude=&longitude=&name=& phone=&level=&cat=&address=&ci ty=three+lakes&state=mi&zipcod e=

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LaSalle Park this morning

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's STRONGS Michigan( Not Three Lakes-but I should go there), well actually Strongs Corners. They're right "next door", down the street, grove of trees, next to each other. Look south out of Strongs Corners, Hiawatha National Forest-Eastern Region. Look south down "South" Strongs Rd. You will see what I'm talking about. It's the place to cleanse the che' ya' dig....

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Light Pole, oldey but a classic.

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Temple and 12th, sclupture..found 'round the way.

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LaMothe and LaSalle Chimney MNG Bullet Holes( Hippie House), finally it loaded up....blasted personal computerssssssssssssssssss

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three_lakes_strongs....thank you so much for the picture of LaSalle Gardens Park. I used to walk thru this park every morning and every afternoon to and from school. My school was at 14th St and LaSalle Gardens, I started kindergarten there in 1947. The city use to plant the most beautiful flowers in that park. I also remember all the beautiful trees, and of course the park was and still is surrounded by the most beautiful homes. Thanks for the memory.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

three lakes, awesome update. thanks for the pics.

Does anyone live in the house, or is it abandoned?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also, if you live in the UP what the bloody hell are you doing down here?!

Three_lakes_strongs

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do'nt live in the UP, I live here. I just go spread my Detroit Che' in the UP in the summertime...ya dig....wrastle bears n' stuff...Strongs MIchigan just happens to be one of my spots....

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10971
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three_lakes,

Welcome. Wow, kinda like cannonballing into the deep end of our pool, I LOVE IT!

Cheers

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.