Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » BBC: Detroit's woes agur ill for the US « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/bus iness/7097585.stm

Americans are worried that hard times lie ahead. But in Detroit, Michigan, they have already arrived, with a vengeance.

Michigan, by some calculations, has lost 400,000 jobs in the past seven years. That's in a state whose population is only 10 million.

Detroit is seeing unemployment running at nearly 8%, twice the national average.

The number of homes in the city "foreclosed" - or repossessed by mortgage lenders - is among the highest in the country. .....................

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""Keep an eye on Michigan," he says. "I believe what's happening here could happen to the rest of America if we don't watch ourselves.""

If we keep sending all our good jobs overseas, and expect retail and service jobs to somehow replace them and sustain a middle class, I think it will happen to the rest of America.

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be ok with sending manufacturing jobs overseas IF:

1) they were helping developing nations in the long run

2) Our nation had a competent re-training program to make sure that unemployed workers had affordable access to re-training and higher education

3) We would be ultimately better and enlightened by the process

4) we could guarantee that we would have undisrupted flows of necessary commodities.

All 4 points are up in the air and I am undecided on whether it is going to better in the long run for Americans AND the global economy.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, I agree with you 100%.

That said, I cringe every time I hear a BBC report on Detroit. The BBC constantly paints the region (both city and suburbs) as the absolute pits of the U.S.. And not just as part of its news coverage, either. I listen to a lot of BBC's music programming online, and I've heard plenty of snarky remarks from BBC presenters concerning Detroit when a Motown song is played.

I don't disagree that Detroit has gone through and is going through some hard times. It's just that the writers and presenters at the BBC seem to take some sort of perverse pride in saying something negative about Detroit.

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The BBC loooooooves negative American news in general. make the brits who have a serious inferiority complex feel better about their empire being reduced to a little island.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5148
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The BBC fucking sucks. I used to get almost all my news from there, but it became quite anti-American as far as I am concerned. Go on their "have your say" section and read the comments. Half of them are aimed at America.But then again, they're British which makes it difficult for them to comprehend the world outside their realm. Britishness can be a disease.

(Message edited by patrick on November 16, 2007)

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3120
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps it's Bushness and the less severe Blairness, not Britishness

edit: did you watch both of the videos linked on that page? The Chicago profile reinforces the economic points made in the Detroit piece.

Even MSNBC, when talking about housing today, made the point that Chicago's suburban housing market is ice cold.

(Message edited by lilpup on November 16, 2007)

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But then again, they're British which makes it difficult for them to comprehend the world outside their realm."

Hahaha. Projection central.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Irony, right?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6813
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people said that who needs Michigan. It's just a mitten shape piece of crap filled with Yankee Yorkers, Hillbillies and people that look like great apes.

BBC can take those words above and shove it in the union jack behinds because We the people of Michigan are still here. We Michiganders went to lots of recession and the great depression but we came through. The people of Michigan will rise once again to show the world we have right stuff. After all we hold the greatest supply of lake water in the planet.

BBC I think your queen is dying! Go check on her.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4617
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better go easy on the BBC. It's the British equivalent of Air America or NPR--pretty much far left.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Projection" is a complex psychological concept where people see faults in others that they are unable to recognize in themselves. Here, I think Patrick is projecting his own shortcomings onto the British.

Hence my comment, "projection central." ;)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3694
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Except that it is nothing like those networks because it is neither supported through donations, nor advertising revenue.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watch a lot of BBC news and, like the CBC here in Canada, they do a far better job of covering global events, i.e. in the Middle East, Far East, etc. Their coverage is in-depth and often gives the perspective of the citizen of that country and what they are going through. Only PBS does similar work on American networks.

On the other hand, I agree, they often provide tabloid-style, negative journalism when covering United States domestic issues. Probably they just pick up a feed from a U.S. network and then comment on it instead of doing their own journalism.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Projection" is a complex psychological concept where people see faults in others that they are unable to recognize in themselves. Here, I think Patrick is projecting his own shortcomings onto the British.

Hence my comment, "projection central." ;)

I know... I was speaking of how ironic it is that he would say the same thing about the Brits that everyone else (including the Brits) says about Americans.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be ironic if it were funny. :-(

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.