Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Ficano Scandal - Ch 4 vs Ch 7 « Previous Next »
Archive through November 15, 2007Rotation_slim30 11-15-07  9:59 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5338
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slim seems awfully defensive of "Steve"...

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 457
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R_S - whether you're Steve or not is irrelevant in light of the petty shit-slinging re: Steve Wilson's size. Reminds me of some critics of John Engler who would always work in a dig about his being fat...of all of the potential ways to debate or skewer the guy we end up with fat jokes? This is one reason why internet resources and exchanges are still viewed as the kids' table; too easy for blowhards to blow and wise asses to crack wise.

Ed - never heard of your Rotation Slim, but if he were contemporary with the cop RS I bet that your guy would have gotten his fur coat dirtied! What's your source for your guy?

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 741
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Reminds me of some critics of John Engler who would always work in a dig about his being fat..."

Or, for that matter, the ones who like to refer to Granholm as "the Mole".

("Rotation_Slim" - You couldn't really come on this site and complain, in first person, about Channel 4 scooping you, now could you, Steve? You had to invent a fictitous third person. Kinda pathetic.)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5760
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry R_S... but you started the name calling by referring to Ficano as Snake, calling Dietz a lapdog, WDIV as Ficano's bitch, and Mara McDonald as pimping.

So it boggles the mind when you try to "play the high road" when someone calls Wilson fat??

Falstaff
Username: Falstaff

Post Number: 88
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tonight at 11pm Wilson reports the whole story, and brings a hammer down on Ficano.

I watched it, and Ficano seemed to avoid the fall of any hammer. Lots of Wilson hype, not much in the way of hammer.

quote:

I am a journalist in this area who has met him. Don't love him as a person, but respect his ability break a story. There is a lot of criticism of his style, but he seems to get his facts straight.

I've watched this guy screw up the facts for years. He was fired from "Inside Edition" for that. I know most of you journalists regard that show as the television equivalent to "The New York Times" - so if they had a problem with Wilson, it must have been a big one.

I think WDIV did a better job with this since they were first. If Steve wasn't so busy finding fresh fried twinkies, he might have broke the story first. Alas, no such luck.

quote:

(BTW.. Wilson haters out there hold your garbage until after you have seen his story tonight, then if you want to comment on the story feel free.. but save us the wasted bandwidth in commenting on Steve's waistline and other mindless tripe.)

Buddy, you got the ball rolling with the first post in this thread.

crunch, crunch, crunch

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw both stories, thought the Channel 4 angle gave a bit too much credit to Ficano and thought the 7 angle a bit too sensational.

Bottom line, Wilson and Dietz have done us a big favor. Let's see if the investigation goes anywhere.

If it is true that Fianco "outted" the story to Dietz after Wilson first brought it up; well, Wilson is simply reaping a bit of what he has sown with his reporting style.

Wilson is a bit of a showman, so F-ing what, that is what TV news is all about: showmanship and viewers. That's why we have weather-tracking-eye-in-the-sk y hoopla and weather girls and pretty people with hair helmets. Tell me something we don't already know.

Wilson is fat. ok, he's fat. move on.

Dietz vaccuums Wilson's crumbs? So what.

Everyone should be happy, the issue is about featherbedding and having such practises brought into the light of day is terrific.

Thank you Fat Steve, Thank You, Kevin Dietz.

F-you, Bob Ficano.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6810
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not bad for a guy who divorce his special education teacher and went off doing corrupt things.

Falstaff

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Saw both stories, thought the Channel 4 angle gave a bit too much credit to Ficano and thought the 7 angle a bit too sensational.

Steve Wilson sensationalizing the news?

Perish the thought!

Falstaff

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Wilson's story

Keep an eye peeled for the hammer coming down on Bob Ficano!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 944
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One wonders what credentials Mr. Simmons and Ms. Bryant have accumulated that qualifies them to run the information technology department of one of the largest county governments in the country. In particular, Simmons for many years has been known as a pastor and a well known political operative. Prior to being appointed to the top county position, did he ever hold a position in the IT industry? How about Ms. Bryant? Is Ficano stupid or arrogant enough to appoint a political operative to this position, or can the job actually be performed by a non-IT professional?

(Message edited by swingline on November 16, 2007)

Falstaff

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to Rotation_slim?

Very, very active on this thread yesterday and poof, gone.

You know, Steve Wilson flies home to Florida every friday morning.

Coincidence? You be the judge!

crunch, crunch, crunch

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4613
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, what part of the airport will be named after Ficano after he too falls from grace?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10909
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh. LOL, Falstaff. Fried Twinkies, really?

John Sugg showed up here a year or so back actually on the first Steve Wilson thread.

He seemed like a stand-up fellow, if obsessive. I think both are decent journalistic requirements!

Rotation_slim
Username: Rotation_slim

Post Number: 69
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Fal, I am here, just been busy. But I will take the time to put Wilson's story head to head against Dietz's, using facts. Comparison done with the 2 most recent stories posted on the Station's websites:

Wilson: put Simmons relationship with Ficano in context (top political operative)
Dietz: Did not put context on relationship.

Wilson: Had Ralph Kinny interview on camera.
Dietz: no Kinney interview

Wilson: Had undercover video of Kinney arriving late, leaving early.
Dietz: Had an old file video shot of Kinney

Wilson: Had video of Larry Simmons showing up late and leaving early.
Dietz: didn't even have video of Simmons, relied on a still photo from a website.

wilson: Interview with employees who said this abuse was well known on all levels and common.
Dietz: had no interveiws at all with anyone but Ficano, and took Ficano at his word that he knew nothing about this.

Wilson: Had Undercover video of Judy Briant.
Dietz: didn't even have a still photo of her, let alone video.

Wilson: had internal memo from months ago requesting an investigation into Briant's no-show antics.
Dietz: didn't mention the video.

Wilson: had internal memo letting Bryant off the hook with a slap on the wrist, investigation done by Byrd, one of those who were forced to resign.
Dietz: no mention of this memo

Wilson: Building entrance record that showed non-attendance.
Dietz: No records

Wilson: specifics on charges against Bryant: she worked e days in May, 4 days in July.
Dietz: no specifics

Wilson: interview with Ficano
Dietz: also had interview with Ficano.

Those are all facts, Falstaff. Are you still a Dietz slappy on this one?

Falstaff

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilson: Thursday night
Dietz / MacDonald(pimping): Wednesday night

Winner: Dietz / MacDonald(pimping)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 949
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda weak, Falstaff. WDIV got on air first with a fluffy, thin, no-context, no background report. A typical TV news 60 second job that attempted to summarize a factually complex matter by simply avoiding the complexities. Even in TV news, first doesn't always mean best. Mr. Wilson wins this one.

I'd still like to know what qualified Mr. Simmons and Ms. Bryant to manage IT. Will Mr. Wilson pursue that angle?

Gnome

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotta agree with you Swingline, Wilson hammered it home. I don't care if he's fat, I don't care if Dietz is a toddie for Ficano, the issue - Falstaff you listening - is another example of political feather bedding.

Steve_wilson_wxyztv
Username: Steve_wilson_wxyztv

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falstaff, you are of course entitled to your opinion...but can you maybe get your facts sort-of straight?

I do not post as Rotation_Slim or under any other pseudonym. Unlike you, I have the courage to sign my own name to what I write. Why don't YOU consider coming out of the shadows so we can learn what a bitter guy you really are.

I was never fired from anywhere in my career but at FOX where I refused to lie on the air and deliberately distort a story, as a jury concluded after hearing five weeks of testimony.

One of the worst investigative reporters in the U.S.? Hey, I'm not above criticism, honest or otherwise, and you are entitled to whatever opinion you wish. If you hate my work, you always have the option to not watch...and even that wouldn't slow down your vitriolic hate spewed forth here, would it?

Finally, you are right about one thing. I am fat. Like lots of others (you too, maybe?) I've struggled with that all my life with little real and lasting success. But, as they say, I can (theoretically) always go on a diet and be thinner...you, on the other hand, will always be a narrow-minded, hate-filled guy who doesn't care whether your opinions are backed by any real facts.

And finally...those Twinkies--you can really fry them up like that?

(Message edited by steve_wilson_wxyztv on November 16, 2007)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 726
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve's in the house telling it like it is y'all!

Sometimes, the members on this site just don't know who is truly reading their crazy comments.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2767
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol

Gnome

Post Number: 388
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go get 'em Steve, by the way what the heck were you doing sniffing around the Boogian Mansion.

Enquiring minds need to know.

Russell
Username: Russell

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know how to get a hold of Steve? I work for one of those public sector places and you would not believe the waste/sweetheart deals made by the leaders. The employees are too afraid to speak up about it however.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4625
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rus: Steve works for a top-secret TV station. He cannot be reached. Period. Sorry.

Gplimpton
Username: Gplimpton

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This board is filled with so many egos, so many insecure, little people, it is sometimes downright funny to read.

To read Falstaff's obsessive rants about Steve Wilson is to read the writings of a has-been, or, more likely, a never-was. My guess is this guy is from JBK, DIV...or Alpena. Regardless, he's pretty jealous.

I don't know what went on behind closed doors in Wayne County, but I do know this: Channel 7 started running promos on Wednesday. On the same night, WDIV decided to broadcast what was essentially in the newspaper two weeks ago. They didn't have a shred of new information. Nothing. But boy, did they keep flashing the word "exclusive' on the screen.

Wouldn't you know it? The next day (the day of Wilson's heavily promoted story), Wayne County fires the subject of Wilson's investigation, including (what a coincidence!) a third person NOT mentioned by WDIV, or the News...but who WAS included in Wilson's story. In other words, Wilson had dirt nobody else had, not to mention internal memos, security card records, and sources inside Wayne County that made this story that was originally about 3 people into a county-wide scandal.

Now, is it plausible that, in the hopes of stealing Wilson's thunder, Ficano tipped WDIV off in the hopes of getting out in front of this scandal? Well, I wasn't there....but I'm a pretty reasonable guy, and things just seem a little to "coincidental" to believe that WDIV lifted a finger on this story.

As for Falstaff....dude. get some help. If you're gonna come at Wilson, come with some substance. Name one reporter who's broken more stories in this town than Wilson.

Oh, and I Google'd your "John Sugg" guy. Wouldn't you know it, he seems to also have a venomous hate for Steve that you do. Coincidence?

Alan55

Post Number: 747
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey, I'm not above criticism, honest or otherwise...."

From your overly-sensitive rant....yeah, you really, really are, Steve (or should I address you by your other persona, Rotation_Slim?)

Gplimpton

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Alan, Wilson and Slim have different IP addresses.

Do some research :-)

Alan55

Post Number: 748
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, different IP addresses...that's really hard to have two addresses....

Alan55

Post Number: 751
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very intellectual response! I can see why you are such a rabid supporter of Steve / Rotation_Slim!!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 465
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan - what's your stake in this? You're coming across as an aggrieved insider or something worse.

Steve_wilson_wxyztv
Username: Steve_wilson_wxyztv

Post Number: 144
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more time, for the record: I NEVER--that's never as in "not once ever at any time for any reason"--post here with a name other than my own.

And as for being too sensitive...I read here regularly and often just grit my teeth. But when demonstrably false claims are made just for the sake of personal attack, I wouldn't want anybody to think my silence is some kind of tacit agreement. That's why I responded to Falstaff's made-up crap...i.e. the false claims, not his opinions which he's perfectly entitled to hold and share with anyone he can get to listen.

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve's story was well done, and very true. You guys should lay off Steve, he is doing a fine job.

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kiddin'. I don't mind investigative journalism because it can expose corruption that wouldn't normally ever get detected by the cops or feds.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 259
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a fan of Steve's overly hyped news investigations but I'll give him credit for responding to his critics here. A lot of the empty heads in the "news" business wouldn't spend 5 minutes digging up a story much less getting on here publicly (you know there are lurkers from the newsrooms) and getting and giving the heat.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 748
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve did a story on you Cuckoos.

You must understand, when you say stuff, and outsiders catch it, you're still representing Lowell in the end.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 261
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's 2007, most people understand the concept that postings by idiots on public sites dont reflect the viewpoints of the owners. I'm sure Steve has no interest in doing a story. This site probably has provided many leads for him and he's not going to burn a source.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3845
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...you're still representing Lowell in the end.

Um, I don't think so. Don't go putting that load on Lowell's back. He doesn't deserve that.

Falstaff

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The strange case of Steve Wilson: how a fraudulent crusader snookered the left—and is threatening the First Amendment

So Steve, how did you afford that million dollar cash down payment on your home while you were unemployed?

quote:

I was never fired from anywhere in my career but at FOX where I refused to lie on the air and deliberately distort a story, as a jury concluded after hearing five weeks of testimony.

How much did you owe that station for legal fees after LOSING that suit?

What about that money stashed under your mattress?

Just how many Costa Rican hookers did you hire?

And, yes, you really can fry twinkies up.

(As if you didn't already know)

Falstaff

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey Alan, Wilson and Slim have different IP addresses.

Do some research

Hey, how does Gplimpton have access to the IP addresses of anybody on this board?

I don't see IP addresses listed, so he has either:

hacked the back room adminstration of this site
or
been provided by the administrator our IP addresses
or
is lying

Any thoughts?

(Message edited by Falstaff on November 18, 2007)

Gplimpton

Post Number: 85
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Falstaff, let's just say this...I'm a heck of a lot smarter than you!

I think it should be very, very telling to those on this board that, while everyone else is talking about the story Wilson broke and the waste he has uncovered, you can't help but try to steer the conversation to some unproven allegations from an article written by an author of questionable integrity with an obsession for Wilson rivaled only by yours (coincidence?). And this isn't the first time you've tried, either.

Me thinks you're not telling us something. Care to share? Or is mudslinging your bag?

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 625
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GPlimpton nor anyone else has access to IP addresses posted on this board and if he name calls again his posting rights will be terminated.

All are advised to stay on topic, cite facts, and avoid personal attacks regarding physical appearance or by name-calling. Doing so only shows one has no ideas or has run out of them.

Last warning. Don't waste our time again by making us remove posts.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.