Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Google Earth Detroit Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've asked this Before, but never got a response.

Why can't I get all my 3D Buildings downtown to load up? Like Jimaz on the City on the Straits Threads.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 334
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might be your computer. The 3D buildings feature on Google Earth requires a lot of memory and processing power; what are your specs?

PS - Make sure you have the "3D buildings" box checked under the Google Earth menu. May be obvious but you never know...

(Message edited by gsgeorge on November 15, 2007)

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Virtual Earth's 3D Detroit is more impressive at http://maps.live.com since all the buildings have textures.

Check out http://detroit1976.naviciti.co m/index2.php as well for a neat historical presentation using Virtual Earth.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3817
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise, I'm not doing anything special although I have a powerful VAIO PC.

Make sure you check "3d Warehouse" under the "3D Buildings" layers to get the textured buildings. There's a wheel next to it that stops spinning once they're loaded.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3818
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » The city on the strait: new banner

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can increase the cache size in Google Earth under Options... if that helps. However, I still cannot break through the streets.

Jimaz

Post Number: 3819
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm having trouble crashing through the streets now too. Maybe they fixed it. I did get another upside-down view tonight while trying.

I do remember that the first clue that you're underground is that everything suddenly turns green. At that point, use the tilt very carefully to look skyward. It's very bizarre.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 700
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Everyone. I got Windows live and it's even better than Google when it comes to the detail and amount of 3D buildings (nearly all the high rises around the city are 3D). That's includes Big Fishy and E.C.

Now, I wanted to upload a image from the Map as an attachment. How do I do that?

Jimaz

Post Number: 3821
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alt PrintScreen?

Er, then paste that into MS Paint, crop it, save it as a Jpeg then use the upload attachment button here?

(Message edited by Jimaz on November 15, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.