Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Purchasing income property in Detroit- « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 558
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am seriously considering purchasing a duplex property-I live on one side lease the other half or a storefront-I reside in the apartment above the retail space and collect rent. A friend of mine is extremely handy when it comes to plumbing-electric etc. and said that Detroit is strict when it comes to inspecting potential rental properties.Can anyone reccomend any sites that feature duplexes (not the upper lower flat type)and storefront residential. Any advice or experiences you all can share would be appreciated as the purchase will be my first.Thanks.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10784
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://realestateone.com/conte nt/Homepage.asp

They have a search option for multi-family. It may encompass much more than duplex but you can search on prices, zips, etc.

I like the site just to see what things are going for and they have a pretty cool search by map option.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2790
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

terryh - look in Grosse Pointe Park, lots of flats, duplexes, small apt buildings for sale, great schools so you get struggling families that want the best education for their kids.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Up until September of this year, my wife and I lived in the lower level of a two-family flat and rented the upper unit. Granted, you're looking for a side-by-side duplex, but I may be able to answer some questions. What specifically are you looking to know?

BTW, while the allure of having a second story within your unit may seem like a neat idea, remember that you don't have windows on one wall and duplexes CAN be very narrow. An upper and lower lets in a lot of light and often gives you more room to spread out.

Terryh

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bobj but I am keen on the idea of the Northend (Oakland from the Blvd to Caniff- Woodward on the west) area. Good points Eric. How did it work out as far as rent? Did it pay the mortgage so youre monthly expense was lower?
Great Jt1 Ill check out the link.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry,

It's funny you mention Northend, as that's where we looked before we bought in Islandview. Specifically, we looked on Josephine Street between Brush and John R.

At the time, I felt that the Northend was going to be the "next big thing", due to the quality of the housing stock and the proximity to Hamtramck and Woodward.

In the end, I'm glad we didn't move there. I still drive down Josephine every once in a while and the street looks just as nice as it did four years ago, but after having discovered Islandview Village I can list more positives here than I could there.

First, keep in mind that development in Detroit moves slowly, albeit steadily over the last decade. Point is, Northend has NOTHING established around it. Alden Park to the south is just one street. Hamtramck is cool, but you either live in Hamtramck or you don't. Living "near" Hamtramck truly means nothing.

Looking back, Islandview has the benefit of being close to Belle Isle, the Riverfront Promenade and Jefferson. Indian Village and West Village are just a couple of streets to the east, and having an established core neighborhood nearby helps out property values.

Prices in Islandview have steadily increased throughout the mortgage fiasco, but the neighborhood is still affordable.

Depending on how you structure your loan, and depending on how well-maintained and put-together your rental unit is, sure, the income certainly helps. Keep in mind, you have to proceed as if you will never have a tenant. You have to be able to afford your mortgage payment even when you don't have the second unit rented.

Lastly, choose your neighborhood as if that's where you intend to live out your days. "Investments" are great, but "home" is more important in the long run.

What else?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10785
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Northend one of KK's communities slated for more resources, development, etc?

Eric_c

Post Number: 1101
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup.

Terryh

Post Number: 561
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is just something about the North end- the structure and style of the homes-It has character; there is a lot of gangster history; Oakland Ave has character; Im comfortable with many of the individuals Ive met.New Center is nearby. The Schvitz (formerly Oakland bath house) is still in business;men during the week, couples on weekends; Parks barbecue is good, I often dine in (sweet and tangy sauce). Whenever I am on Oakland taking pics I encounter amicable residents of the neighborhood. There is a big empty lot on the corner of Holbrook and Oakland that was home to the infamous Oakland sugarhouse during prohibition. The area seen action during the riots of 43 and 67. The areas you mentioned are nice Eric but Im a single guy and simply would like to get in a situation in which I can save and invest money as a result of not paying rent every month. If I could go back and do it over I would have settled down and bought sooner. I notice a building on Oakland that has been repaired and has an apartment or two above some type of office.
Awhile back someone posted a site that featured the demographics of Detroit neighborhoods with Northend statistics.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the tax implications of renting as far as property taxes, income tax deductions, etc. as compared to a single-family home?

Eric_c

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Property taxes are the same, but the homestead deduction is half on a two-family.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5757
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry_h, one place to look for duplexes is on Moross Rd. (extension of 7 Mile Rd.) on the far east side. It's just 2 blocks from Harper Woods, and is one of the nicer areas of Detroit. Practically the entire 2 mile stretch of Moross in Detroit has duplexes on it.

That may not be the part of Detroit you are interested in, but there's a lot of retail along Kelly Rd. and Mack Ave... everything from supermarkets to Buddy's Pizza to a Barnes & Noble Bookstore.... deli's, drug stores, car washes, etc.

Eric_c

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too small!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2816
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

terryh

I have owned and currently own rental properties by myself and with partners for many years. Make sure you really "do the numbers". Find out what a realistic rent is (it won't be as much as you might think), what kind of repairs might the property need, how many months of no occupancy can you afford, what is the total cost of ownership for the property and what is your breakeven point.

I hve looked at many detroit properties as rental investments and most the numbers don't work. Used to be that you might break even month to month, but could count on appreciation in value - not a good assumption anymore. If you are doing this to invest in the City and sren't that concerned about breaking even or making money, then that is a different story.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Awhile back someone posted a site that featured the demographics of Detroit neighborhoods with Northend statistics.

http://www.detroitrising.com/n orthend.htm

Terryh

Post Number: 562
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all very much the info was helpful. I would be happy to break even or have a situation in which after the tenant pays the rent my monthly house payment on my end is much lower than the rent that I pay. I pay $575 per month for my apartment in Ferndale, love the location and community but also have much love for Detroit and wouldnt mind investing in the city.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you looking to purchase a distressed property?

Terryh

Post Number: 564
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is slightly distressed its o.k. minor repairs. Preferably not.Im not particularly handy when it comes to building and repairing although I have friends and family that may be willing to help.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TH - Rents in East Dearborn are a lot lower than what you're paying now, or at least they are for a lot of places. You might save the headache of owning as well as babysitting someone who dosn't respect your property.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.