Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Suburban Bank HQ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 430
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was talk a while back about Bank of America possibly moving from Troy to downtown. There was some disagreement over how many people that would bring, ranging between 200-1000. However, that raises the question, what other banks are HQ in the suburbs and how many people work at these HQ. This question is semi relevant, because many hope a BOA and Quicken announcement will convince more companies to move downtown and banks may be a possibility.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2747
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Flagstar has a huge HQ in Troy, but the building is relatively new and I would expect that their lease probably runs for 10-15 more years

As far as BoA goes, they laid off 1,500 in Michigan after they bought LaSalle...not sure how many people they even have left out in Troy...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3616
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you can start bugging Schostak to move. That Laurel Park Place office behemoth they own seems basically empty besides them and University of Phoenix. They're a strong company branching across the States.

Wait, that's in Livonia too isn't it? Sorry Livonia.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3617
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I still say that building looks like it has purple alien heads on it.

http://www.schostak.com/contac t_us/index.html

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2749
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ oh man I never noticed that before but you're right!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illegal Aliens in Livonia?!

Livonia: the Area 51 of Michigan.

We should get Gannon's twisted conspiratorial brain stem twisted around this idea. After all Schostak spelled backawards is: Kats Ohcs. Which has 8 letters, there are 8 planets, we have 8 fingers, therefore the towers were bombed by Condi Rice and Dick Cheney.

oops, went off bit

Nyct
Username: Nyct

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i work downtown near the detroit federal reserve building on fort st and talk to the super from time to time ... he confirmed he met with reps from bank of america 2xs, so they're at least casing the area for space. he says 500 jobs.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Federal Reserve Bank is an interesting scenario. Is the new one already done and if so, where is that located?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken is a "young" company with a lot of employees who might be interested in Detroit as more than a place to work (except for the kid from Livonia with the psycho mother). I wonder how many of the more traditional banks match that profile? Let's face it, the company location is driven as much by employee location (and CEO home location) as anything else.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 443
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hilarious - I will never be able to look at that building the same way again.

CEO/founder locations have a lot to do with it. If you look at it, Gilbert has roots in the city.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How many people work at the 5/3 HQ in Southfield?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge - According to their website, 17370, 17380 and 17390 Laurel Park Drive combined is about 70% occupied.

http://www.schostak.com/portfo lio/images/laurelpark_mktpkg.p df

None of Schostak's existing/proposed developments are within Detroit city limits, so I'm not sure why you'd even think they'd be interested in moving downtown? They seem to stick to strictly suburban developments.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lofts of Merchant Row was in Detroit last time I checked

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, I missed that one. I was primarily looking at their "new developments" page.

Thanks for not being an ass about it, though.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 714
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

i figured you just missed that one.... you are right though, they deal mostly in the burbs

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 813
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you think Comerica moved their hq to Dallas? Because that asshole CEO is a native Texan! That is a HUGE factor in where headquarters are located. In Chicago, Sara Lee moved their headquarters out of the city to suburban Naperville, and guess who also lives in Naperville? The (at the time) new CEO of Sara Lee!

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Location trends of large company headquarters during the 1990s

http://www.chicagofed.org/publ ications/economicperspectives/ 2002/2qepart2.pdf

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 666
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why do you think Comerica moved their hq to Dallas? Because that asshole CEO is a native Texan! That is a HUGE factor in where headquarters are located. In Chicago, Sara Lee moved their headquarters out of the city to suburban Naperville, and guess who also lives in Naperville? The (at the time) new CEO of Sara Lee!"

Shit List! Although, I don't care about Sara Lee. They didn't hurt Detroit and they have the best baked goods.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Semi off topic:

Novine, I am surprised that no one yelled at you yet for posting a PDF that includes Ann Arbor and Flint as part of metro Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.