Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Whitney Family « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 179
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, does anybody have any idea what 2 photo albums from the Whitney family might be worth?

In the auction the guy says there are appr 150 personal family photos of the Whiney's and their extended family from I think the 10's to the 40's?

It shows some interesting ones.

Any help on some kind of price might be appreciated.

thanx

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2249
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They might be worth a bundle to any descendants. That may be a stretch, though, as David Whitney and his wife, Susan, only had one child, a son, David M. Whitney. He was born in 1896; I don't know if he had issue. Other than that, they'd largely be a curiosity. I suppose if there are any identifiable fatures in the background the Burton collection at the Detroit Public Library might be interested.

I'd love to browse it myself, but wouldn't spend any money to obtain it.

(Message edited by Ray1936 on November 13, 2007)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5137
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet...any pics of classical buildings or places in these photos? Seems more priceless. It is quite hard to put a value on something like that.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have no idea. as they are regionally famous (as opposed to international) i would assume it might be worth a couple hundos.? no idea, though...

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx for the help

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10767
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 options:

1. Contact the owner of the Whitney and see if he is interested in purchasing them.

2. Donate them to a library archives. They will probably write up an exaggerated value for you to use as a charitable deduction on your taxes.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 181
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not mine, they are on ebay and I was interested in seeing if could grab them up for a quick deal.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10770
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I need to improve my reading skills.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.