Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » My Town...Home of the best Pizza « Previous Next »
Archive through November 14, 2007Whithorn1144630 11-14-07  7:40 pm
Archive through November 17, 2007Karl_jr30 11-17-07  11:19 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Irunwscissors
Username: Irunwscissors

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't there an Italian place at Grandville and Warren? I remember the building back in the 70's and 80's. I had relatives that lived on Grandville.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandville & Warren, I'd bet you are talking about Stromboli's

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chad -
I was from the Rochester area and I don't remember a Bucemi's at that spot. But in 79' I was stationed in Long Beach Cal. and that was the place that I had the WORST pizza of my life. Ed's pizza,was the only place that had a security clearance to deliver pizza on board my ship at the pier inside the base.
I guess if your the only game in town, you can make your pizza as crappy and tasteless and overpriced as you want for our servicemen.
By the way, a Bucemi's pizza done right, is the best I've ever had. The sauce is awesome.
The old Olivers square pizza is my second best.
(but it gave me and my girlfriend the sh*ts).

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mama Mia's on Beech & Plymouth owned by the same family?" - no. Two Greek families that were friends.

MMs on Beech had frog legs on the menu, at least within recent memory.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buddy's, Shield's, Loui's, Cloverleaf, and Buscemi's all began originally at Eastside locations. Every single one of those places made a GREAT deep dish square pizza (tho' Buscemi's seemed to decline over the years from their heyday in the 70's.)
I thought Niki's (Greektown) did a pretty good job with the deep dish slice, although I have not had that in years.
My Westside pizza dining is limited, I'll admit, but I will give highest honors to the round pie at Red Devil. Mmmm, so good!
I am pizza-hungry just typing this post!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my dad picking up Cloverleaf pizza on the way home from the Tech Center in the early 60's.That was always a treat.
(I'm sure that he stayed for a few pop's)
I've tried all of the above in Elimarr's post, but I can't seem to find a GOOD pizza anymore!
Is it because of the revolving door employment of workers now?
Back then I'm sure that they had a cook that did that for a career.
And one more thing - whats with all this pineapple/tuna/chicken/leeks crap that they pass off as pizza now? Give me a meat eaters heart stopper anytime.
At least I'll die with a smile on my face.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby, here's a second on Casa Bianca Pizza (at 1650 Colorado in Eagle Rock). I thought it was pretty good, reminded me of Gregg's back in the day (including canned mushrooms). The wait for a table is horrible, however, and the service stinks. I also heard that Petrillo's in San Gabriel is pretty good too, but I've never been there.

My suggestion is to not waste your time and calorie allotment on pizza in the L.A. area. Get some Mexican food, some sushi, or since you live in the San Gabriel Valley, it's not too far of a drive to get some decent Chinese food!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i should be on the little ceasars blog, went there today before a wings game it wasnt too bad. my mom allways said that stromboli,s pizza was good. building is still there but not stromboli,s. i think they opened back up for a while in the 90,s. jets is eastside pizza i think we get that alot

Kirby
Username: Kirby

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanderinglady
tnx for info on Cal Pizza, been burned so many times, I've given up on anything out here being great, or even good.
Ya know your in Pizza hell when the local Pizza Hut is as good as it gets, we just wait till we get back east (NYC, Chicago, or the best "Detroit") for anything Great.
absence makes the tastebuds grow fonder!
We're going to NYC in a few weeks and there is a place in Brooklyn thats been there since 1905 (same Family) I think it's called Tonotano (sp)
I'm hoping for Great things.............

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totonno's, brick oven, it's different from detroits' but I really like its thin crust:

http://www.totonnos.com/Aboutu s.html

Kirby

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl-jr
tnx for info, I knew I was miss spelling it
looks like we won't have to sub it to coney island either!

Reddog289

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 4:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kirby, you ever had vito & nicks in chicago?

Kirby

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog289

I've not tried vitos or nicks.
Where we have eaten in Chi town, was so unimpressive I can't recall the name.
I'll try your place when next in town but doesn't happen too often. I recall telling my wife last time in Chicago, "we're only a few hours from REAL pizza (30 minutes by air)"...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gino's East or Malnati's are probably the best in Chicago. Giordano's is decent too. Uno and Due are overrated.

Kirby

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13

It was Uno, and was -way- over rated...
tnx for info on new Chicago places

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 689
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Little Caesars is still the best in my book"

Little Ceasar's?
You cannot be serious! Hungry Howie's is about equal or maybe a little better.

Jets (best value 6.00 medium), Domino's(real mozzarella), Pizza Hut (which i don;t like) is better. Louis, I need to visit there, heard good things. Buddy's thick crust blows in my opinion, too cheap on ingrediants, Buscemis is better. Niki's (Greektown) is not bad.., Sheild's never been to. Pizza Papalis stuffed pizza kicks ASS!imo. Tomatoes pizza is very good.

What is missing in Detroit is a true high end pizza, with FRESH mozzarella (with the right of oil dripping off the pizza, you know what i mean), coal oven baked, and all fresh thick cut toppings.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 790
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Little Ceasar's?
You cannot be serious! Hungry Howie's is about equal or maybe a little better."

Ok, he meant that it's the most convienient, reasonably price pizza around, not that it tasted good. Heck, it's the best in my opinion.

"Jets (best value 6.00 medium), Domino's(real mozzarella), Pizza Hut (which i don;t like) is better. Louis, I need to visit there, heard good things. Buddy's thick crust blows in my opinion, too cheap on ingrediants, Buscemis is better. Niki's (Greektown) is not bad.., Sheild's never been to. Pizza Papalis stuffed pizza kicks ASS!imo. Tomatoes pizza is very good."

I was food poisoned by BuSCAMi's, so I wouldn't eat thie pizza if it was the last thing on earth and I was on my death bed. Pizza Hut is better than Buddy's? That's real funny. I do agree with you about PizzaPapalis, Jet, and Dominoes though. Pizzas that are over filled with sauce is very delicious though.

"What is missing in Detroit is a true high end pizza, with FRESH mozzarella (with the right of oil dripping off the pizza, you know what i mean), coal oven baked, and all fresh thick cut toppings."

Detroit does have high end pizza, it's just under-recognized is all.

Reddog289

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 3:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if i could learn to make my own crust i,d be happy. by the way have to try happy,s

Prokopowicz
Username: Prokopowicz

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donar's pizza, on Hamilton in Highland Park, had the best thin crust, about 35 years ago.

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Mr. Ed's in Highland Park?

Kirby

Post Number: 26
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paczki
don't recall Mr Ed's
but, do recall my first experience with a "health" food store at s/w corner of 6 mile and woodward, I tried carrot juice there for the first time.
There also was a Howard Johnsons on e/side of woodward in Highland Park, wonder if it's still there?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 835
Posted on Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby, the Howard Johnsons is long gone unfortunately.

However, I'm curious to know, what is the best pizza out where you live?

Kirby

Post Number: 27
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise
Mrs and I at first went all over S.Calif.
whenever we would get a report of "Great" Pizza. It NEVER happened. We got an OK Pizza at best.
These trips would only remind us of Buddys.
There is a Toms Farm pizza in Corona, that's OK, but just too far from Pasadena.

But to answer your question, we've settled for Pizza hut.
On a Detroit taste scale it's a 1.5 out of 10....

Here is a question that is probably worthy of its own site. BUT, at 3.50 a gallon (Calif gas) I don't see anyone cutting back on driving. LA traffic is just as terrible as ever, how about Detroit? It's one reason we don't get to Toms Farms very often...

Detroitrise

Post Number: 838
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well in Detroit, it's the same old same old, no matter how high the prices get when you have crappy bus transportation and an automobile run city.

I'm not much of a Pizza Hut fan though. I'd probably settle for Tom's anyday before Pizza Hut. You're right though, nothing compare to a Detroit style pizza.

Reddog289

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went to gracie see pizzeria on sunday night, it was still good, left and went back to get my girlfriends scarf, almost ordered another pizza.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10918
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, thanks for the reminder Reddog, I've been trying to remember the name of that joint.

Greenfield just south of Warren Ave., right?!

That was the place the St. Christopher's and Thomas Aquinas kids taught the St. Al's grade school alums about in ninth grade.

'Greasy's'...heh. Good stuff.

What about that other Italian restaurant a wee bit west on Warren, what was it...Stromboli's?!

They had good pie, too...but my all-time favorite in the neighborhood was that 'inside-out' pizza place on Warren just west of Telegraph. Not sure they're still around, we talked about them a while back, think TerryH had some history there, too.

Cheers!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4325
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby, belated welcome to the forum. Thanks for the great memories. Buddy's, Shields and the Turtle Soup Inn formed quite a triumvirate in the upper northend. The pizza at the original Buddy's is still the best. It also has all the coziness and intimacy it ever had. You can still belly up to the bar for a boomba.

Buddy's Pizza Detroit bar

Paczki, I remember Mr. Ed's. Back in my former life as a Sears delivery truck driver, when the warehouse was still in Highland Park, Mr. Ed's was one of our after work hang outs. However, slight correction, it was actually just north of Highland Park in Detroit, on Oakland just across the tracks.

Kirby

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell
Thanks for the welcome, trust me when I say I feel at home with my Motown folks...Hard to make long term friends out here as people move constantly. We've lived in our home in Pasadena for 15 years, on a block with about 12 houses. We've been here longer than anyone by far, most homes have had 2 or 3 families since 92.

Boomba, now there is a term for a beer I've not heard in along time, say it out here and the folks will triple up the zig-zag paper!
I'm guessing that these 2 places are long gone, but maybe someone can tell me if Snowwhites is still on Grand River west of S'field? and if the Canapi in Brighton is still there?

I like the "Made in Detroit" sign in Buddys bar, I qualify, and want one!

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,
It was Carla's on Warren just west of Telegraph. Stuffed or "inside out" pizza was great, but they are gone now. St. Al's students (myself included) had Liberati's on Miller
Road. For my money, Liberati's is still about the best of the old-school, thin pie there is. Check 'em out, Miller Road just south of Warren in Dearborn.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1661
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up around the corner from Gracie See, and still go back to the old neighborhood for a birthday meal. You gotta love the wood paneling, bowling-club culture of that place. Right down to the Faygo Redpop, Gracie See's a West Side classic.

Gannon

Post Number: 10925
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, and when I was at St. Al's (1981), we also had another down on Wyoming...owned by one of the parish families. Name began with an "A"...but for the life of me I cannot remember their name, either.

Liberati's was a staple...pretty sure my first date was there. I am glad to know they're still there, I'll pay them a visit soon. That's going to be a free-fall down memory lane for this photo-brainer.

Thanks for the reminder on Carla's, Arrow-fats!

Cheers

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2304
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just for the helluvit, my nominee for the worst pizza in all the world goes to a joint in Wawa, Ontario. After roughing it on a camping trip for a week, we wandered into that town for a pizza treat.

Bad move. It was so bad we couldn't even finish one slice. Back to the canned beans.

Joken
Username: Joken

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone remember vesuvio's pizza? it was behind the old pepsi plant at forest& gratiot. we're talking a long time ago.

Gannon

Post Number: 10933
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd think with the epidemic of acid reflux, a pizza joint named similarly to a famous volcano might go over like a lead balloon...

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gannon,
It was Amato's on Wyoming, owned and run by the Hrynewich family. Another great place that is no longer with us. Man, I miss their steak siciliano.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 259
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in with Lowell: the original Buddy's in Detroit.

Shields...Hmmm. I have become disappointed with them over the years. Seems like Shields and other pizzerias have started adding lots of sugar to their tomato sauce.

OK now I am salivating for one of those buttery squares from Buddy's. Let's have a Forum Social Club event at Buddy's. Beer & Pizza what else does a club need to be successful?

Gannon

Post Number: 10944
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'fats,

Right! I still run into Mark ('80) occasionally downtown.

Thanks, once again, for filling in my synaptic gaps!

Reddog289

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hope my doc ain,t on this forum, yelled about my 203 ldl ,hdl whatever. i,ll have to write down the places i haven,t been to. thanks for all the great info, by the way my cousins who are up north, came from down here think that buddy,s started in livonia. i need to set them straight. take them across woodward.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing the photo of Buddy's brought back some great memories. I spent too much time in one of the stools on the left side of the photo. Back in the late 60's, Shield's Bar was a neighborhood bar and had fish fry's on Friday evening. Sometime after that they started doing the pizza. Louie was a pizza maker at Shield's Bar and then broke off and started his own place. Buddy's was known for great food, bocce ball, and Jimmy. Oh boy a boomba would hit the spot.

Kirby

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

question for anyone
since, I've not been to original Buddys in over 30 years, can anyone recall a outside porch used as an overflow eating area?

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kirby - another very famous and excellent brooklyn pizzeria is di faro's.

Kirby

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clermont
tnx for info, we'll be in NYC in 3 weeks for short visit, but, don't know if we'll be able to get to Brooklyn...

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 3263
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Di Fara's. It's supposed to be the best pizza in Brooklyn now. I haven't been there, but I have been to L&B Spumoni Gardens on 86th St. in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. It was pretty good, but not quite up to the hype. Cool neighborhood/family atmosphere, though. Warning: ALL New York City pizza is EXPENSIVE.

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 123
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kirby; I seem to recall the outside area next to the bocce ball courts were used as an eating area.

Stinger

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, November 30, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://gridskipper.com/travel/ new-york/new-yorks-best-pizza- 327224.php

kirby- here is a map of various highly regarded pizzerias in nyc from gridskipper.com.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.