Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Newstands in downtown Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just wondering if anyone knew of (or known of) any newstands in downtown Detroit. Or if this concept would work in the downtown area. If Detroit is going to brin 4,000 more people downtown everyday I think one might be successful. Any thoughts?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5326
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Occassionally there is a lady on the corner of State and Woodward by the old Kresge's...

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, on sunday's, one can find folks all over the "d" peddling the paper for a buck. i like it!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see a newsstand. Please, if you do, sell cigarettes and candy, New York-style.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 60s there was a newstand on the corner of State and Griswold or somewhere around there. I can't place it exactly. But there was a man who ran it. I thought he was ancient, and he wore a wool tweed newsboy cap.

Thecarl

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i must say, while in various spots in downtown detroit, i am astounded by the fact that i cannot readily acquire a diet coke. it begins to feel like a quest for an immunity idol or something.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 937
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where can you not acquire a diet coke in downtown Detroit?

There are corner stores on every other block...

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 633
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^That's because this is PepsiCo(untry). Michigan is the only state in the country where Coke doesn't outsell them.

I guess we have good taste in pops :-).

Thecarl

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

erikd, fair enough. perhaps my problem is when i start pounding the pavement before 10am? nonetheless, i still think there's a paucity of places that deal my tasty refreshment. i'm now inclined to map out points in the cbd where one can score a soda!

Thecarl

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There are corner stores on every other block...

p.s. by that estimation, one is never more than one block from a soda?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3210
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inside the Penobscot Building, there used to be an old fashioned news stand.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 637
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"p.s. by that estimation, one is never more than one block from a soda?"

SODA? What is this SODA? (just messing with you Thecarl)

Thecarl

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rise...i know! some folks are quite sensitive about the "correct" term for a "carbonated beverage" depending on their locale! people on the east coast sometimes want to give you a pop in the nose when you ask for a "pop." and my favorite, my family down south refers to dr. pepper, coke, 7-up, r.c. cola, etc. as "coke."

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 938
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would take me all day to list every place in the CBD selling diet Coke.

Tell me what part of downtown you would like to know about, and I will provide a starter list for you...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4580
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The newstands are mostly relics of the past. My uncle John took over the newstand across the street from Monkey Wards in Dearborn during WWII while its operator was drafted into the Army. After the drafted operator returned, my uncle went into a similar line of business in an actual building a few blocks to the east when he and another uncle ran the Dearborn Cozy Corner across the street from Miller school.

One of their young, regular customers got the idea for his own business from the Cozy Corner and started sometime around 1960 what became Buda's a few blocks west down Michigan and afterwards opened another magazine/book store in Westborn--the Little Professor.

It would seem that such newstands today would be vulnerable to vandalism and theft from break-ins and such. I do remember seeing a trailer-mounted newstand that was transported to and from its location daily. That arrangement might work, but it might be a hassle--maybe not.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on November 13, 2007)

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lady on State and Woodward moves to Washington Blvd on Sunday. She's in the alcove in front of St. Aloysius on the east side of the street. Quite a character and artist! She carries the Sunday Free Press, NY Times and I don't know what else.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That funky old Cozy Corner was open for business, still under that name, until just a coupla years back. Quite a place. Always a small group of neighborhood folks sitting at the lunch counter opining, and arguing, about one damn thing or another. I used to suspect that the place was a front for something, maybe a bookie operation, because it sure was a sorry excuse for any kind of store. One time, I was looking for Sports Illustrated, and when I asked the older lady who owned the place about it, she got a quizzical look and said Oh I don't know if The Guy brings us that.
I couldn't make this stuff up. But, LY is so correct; real newsstands (and we don't mean stands which sell A Paper,) out on the streets of downtown, are memories from bygone days, just like that damn enormous flag that they used to unfurl across the face of Hudson's, just like the Stone Burlesk, just like the lunch counter at Cunningham's with the stools you could spin around on until you were profoundly dizzy and nearly slid off onto the floor, just like good Top 40 radio, hand-written letters in the mail, and personal dignity, all of it is gone, gone.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RenCen has a shop called "Gateway Newstand". More of a small snack shop really.
I'm not really sure a newstand is that great an investment these days, seeing the decline of newspaper readership.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where one could purchase an outdoor pre-made newstand? We have been looking to get one in Greektown for some time, but we could never find one.........

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

memories from bygone days, just like that damn enormous flag that they used to unfurl across the face of Hudson's

Apparently, not only is it is a quaint and outdated notion to be proud of our country's flag, it's now fashionable to slander it.

Imhere
Username: Imhere

Post Number: 37
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the mid 90's there was a true newstand on the corner of Woodward and Monroe. I believe it finally closed when the construction of Campus Martius park started.

When I worked Downtown throughout the 90's I used to get my morning paper inside the Guardian Building. A lot of people would grab a paper before the store opened. Everyone (or I hope everyone) just left the money on top of the stack of papers outside the store.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to be the one to bring Liberal Bashing into a discussion about the viability of newsstands in the CBD, Mikeg.

BTW, I think there's one set up on the corner at the district court at Brush and, what is that, Gratiot? It was this summer, anyway.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2167
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda crazy that you can't find a newsstand in downtown Detroit in the middle of a weekday...

Mikeg

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Way to be the one to bring Liberal Bashing into a discussion about the viability of newsstands in the CBD, Mikeg.

I wasn't bashing Liberals, I took offense to some else's description of our flag in a thread that is supposedly about newsstands.

Way to be the one to bring politics into this discussion, Rugbyman!

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the north end of Capitol Park, someone has been working for YEARS (it seems) on opening a newsstand/coffee shop in the "wedge" building that's part of the small parking structure. I talked to a "Josh" working there, and he shared his vision about the place. It's even got a second-level DJ balcony, some copper trim, orange light fixtures and a few flat-panel TVs.

Anybody know the rest of the story about this place?

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2763
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen that place and recently saw a bunch of people sitting in there like it was open

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing Border's sells newspapers and magazines.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toronto has 4 daily newspapers but I can't think of one remaining pure outdoor newstand. The "hole in the wall" type solve the security (and weather) issues. I used to like seeing those but I can't think of any still around. What Detroit needs is more outdoor hotdogs stands. Great cheap lunch and solves your diet coke problem!

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 212
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen at least one hot dog guy down by the riverwalk. I bought a hot dog from one by Hart Plaza during the last jazz fest.

I agree though, more news stands and hot dog carts would make downtown/midtown a lot nicer place to hang out. Maybe we could light up some burn barrels in the streets too in the winter!

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing about hot dog carts. They draw office workers out of their cubicles and into the street. They don't all have the time/money to venture out to restaurants at lunch, but if you get them to the sidewalk they might actually walk a block.

Ravine

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg: Breathe in and breathe out a few times, fer chrissakes. I wasn't slandering the flag. If I had written, "enormous damned flag," I suppose one could accuse me of defaming the flag, but even then, it would be libel, not slander.
DetroitYes: Home of the Red-Asses.

Grosseile
Username: Grosseile

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 50s and 60s there used to be a newstand at Grand Circus Park on Woodward. It was outdoors and had a number of magazine titles, all the local, state, and out of town papers.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg, you really need to chill and calm down. I've seen some totally off-kilter and crazy reactions on this forum, but yours just might take 1st prize.

Ravine was using "damn" as an adjective to raise the impact of the adjective "enormous." If that wasn't clear to you on the first reading, you probably need to revisit junior high English class.

Ravine

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Burnsie, for the back-up, and for recognizing exactly what was going on in my sentence.
Part of reading is hearing.

Mikeg

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are you thanking him for? Burnsie apparently doesn't know any more about the proper use of adjectives and adverbs than you do.

Adjectives and adverbs are describing words; the former describes a noun or pronoun; the latter, a verb, adjective, or other adverb.[source]

Therefore, when using double adjectives, they both apply to the noun (or pronoun) they are modifying (in this case, "flag"). If you wish to modify an adjective, then you should use an adverb, which in this case would be "damningly" ("damningly enormous", which sounds pretty awkward).

Rugbyman correctly interpreted your use of the double adjectives, so obviously he passed his English courses, just as I did.

Perhaps you two need to take a remedial English course before you start correcting others.

(Message edited by Mikeg on November 14, 2007)

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate when threads turn into english lessons...

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I stand corrected on my grammar lesson. But that still doesn't excuse Mikeg from his totally off-the-wall reaction to Ravine's initial comments. Even though "damn enormous" isn't grammatically correct, 99% of people would understand what Ravine meant.

Ravine

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't stand corrected on a damned thing, and I sure as hell don't need a lesson on language, or writing, from Mikeg, who, despite his display of smuggery, seems not to read very well (or good, if you prefer.)
I repeat: Part of reading is hearing.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually Mikeg you are incorrect. If I say there is a fucking huge woman over there. I do not mean there is a fucking woman over there. I mean that she is fucking huge. fucking is modifying huge.

I apologize for the language but it is all I can come up with at this late hour

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.