Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Richard Manoogian - America's Greatest Private Art Collection? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5721
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching the Saturday night black tie premier of the DIA opening. The announcers introduced Alfred Taubman, and then announced Richard Manoogian as the person who has America's greatest private art collection.

Is that true? Or were the announcers just hyping it up?

I've heard that Richard Manoogian keeps many of his art collection in his Masco Corp. Taylor HQ. Has anyone ever seen the works there?

I am also very curious about Mr. Manoogian's most celebrated work in his collection. That is George Caleb Bingham's famous American 1847 iconographic painting THE JOLLY FLATBOATMEN:

According to this 1987 New York Times article, it was the most expensive painting ever by an American master (at that time):

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE3DC1E39F930A15752C0A961948260

It would be nice if Mr. Manoogian brings that picture back to Detroit to the DIA, where many of his other artworks are already on display. 54 years at Washington's National Gallery is long enough! :-)

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Manoogian has been a always large and steadfast supporter of the DIA. After what he has done for them, let's all just say, "thanks".

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1895
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.............AND:the Henry Ford museum/Greenfield village "the Hank"

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 346
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He and his wife have an amazingly encyclopedic collection of American art, in particular. In 1989 there was a exhibition of American paintings from the Manoogian collection that was organized by the DIA and the National Gallery. It depends on what the reporter meant by "Greatest" -- greatest monetary value, greatest artistic or historical significance, etc. Regardless, the Manoogians have been incredibly supportive of the DIA, and surrounding Metro-Detroit cultural institutions -- large and small, for decades.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 540
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Detroit's vast art collection, wish we had a better historical museum.

I wish we had a "Great" Museum-for the Great Lakes Region...

<313>

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I've spent some time at the Masco HQ and they have all kinds of art throughout the building (paintings, sculptures, artifacts, etc). Plus, there's a ton more thats not displayed that is stored away.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 562
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just returned from a business trip to Mexico City and was able to spend a day visiting several major Diego Rivera murals. I'll always be grateful to the Ford family (I assume) for the Rivera murals at the DIA...I remember being enthralled by them on school and scout visits as an elementary school age child.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thousands of out-of-towners, and even metro Detroiters I'm guessing, visit the Henry Ford and never consider Detroit's great museums. There should be more cross promotion. I'm thinking of things like a display at the Rosa Parks Bus encouraging people to learn more by visiting the Museum of African American History, etc. You need to really promote this with glossy brochures, discount coupons and most important knowledgable staff that really sell the idea to visitors. A one-price passport to Detroit area museums also might work.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where the Manoogian collection will end up is still undecided. There's no guarantee that will be in Detroit nor any word that the DIA could put in the bank. A friend, who worked there and kept in touch, said it was still very much up in the air when I spoke to him awhile ago.

Personally, I'm unfamiliar with his collection. The collection of American artists in the DIA is already substantial and the gallery space is just right for its size.

Has the American artists gallery space been expanded to fit a possible Manoogian donation?

Gistok, any comments on the New DIA? Looking forward to a visit when I'm in town for the holidays.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 673
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's good that edsel approved and didn't waver on removing the diego murals, they are worth tens of millions alone. i am always awestruck when entering a big city museum with all these priceless pieces.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The American wing at the DIA is being renamed "The Manoogian Wing". While not all of his collection has been promised to the museum, a substantial amount has already been secured.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 677
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow,that's very generous at any ones collection!

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 739
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that Graham Beal has completed the $158 million upgrade and renovation to the DIA, I wonder if he will be on to bigger and better things, especially if the changes prove popular and successful. He has been at the DIA for 8 years, a pretty long run in the museum world. Detroit has a wonderful museum, but it may be hard for him to resist if museums in New York, Paris, Rome, or especially London, come calling with offers.

Gistok

Post Number: 5737
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Xd_brklyn, haven't been to the new DIA yet. They only just had the private premier. They're opening to the public in about 2 weeks.

I don't think that Manoogian will do what Charles Lang Freer did at the beginning of the 20th century... namely donate his entire collection to another museum. In Freer's case he gave his entire world class Asian art collection to the Smithsonian, where they built the Freer Gallery to display it.

The sad thing was that the Freer mansion (behind the Hecker-Smiley Mansion on Ferry Ave.) was built to house his extensive collection. The greatest loss to Detroit was James MacNeil Whistler's famous Peacock Room, which was dismantled and reinstalled in D.C. Sadly, although the Freer mansion still stands, without the art collection, it is but a shell of its' glorious past.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The American galleries have been expanded, and will showcase an increased number of pieces in the collection than before the renovation/expansion project began. However, no specific space has been left or alotted for a possible Manoogian donation.

I agree with Gistok -- actually, I dont think it's even up for debate -- the Peacock Room was a major loss. Freer was immensely upset that the Bicentennial Project on Belle Isle, including a memorial to Oliver Perry, did not get enough funding, and made the statement that obviously Detroiters couldnt appreciate fine art, and therefore, he was going to leave his collection to DC. That said, our collection of American art is still one of the top 3 or 4 in the world.

Gistok

Post Number: 5739
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that little anecdote Everydayislikesunday!

I wasn't aware of the reasoning behind Freer's decision to leave his collection to DC.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3104
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"wish we had a better historical museum"

FWIW it's Masco that's been underwriting the free admission to Dossin since it renovated and re-opened earlier this year.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on what I've heard at the various Friends of Freer lectures, the last one just this past Sunday, I would disagree with Everydayislikesunday's statement that Freer gave his art collection to the Smithsonian because Detroiters couldn't appreciate fine art.

Here's what the press release for that talk by Dr. Thomas Brunk said:
"From 1890 to 1919, Charles Lang Freer assembled one the world’s great art collections at his home on East Ferry Avenue in Detroit. During this same period a group of prominent Detroiters established the Detroit Museum of Art, today's Detroit Institute of Arts. With Freer's agreement to donate his art collection to the Smithsonian in 1906, stories and innuendo developed that he had little interest in Detroit's own art museum. But this is far from the truth. While Freer had specific concerns with the Detroit Museum of Art's early direction in art collecting and exhibition, Freer supported the museum in many ways as a donor and patron."

There were many reasons why the Freer collection went to the Smithsonian. The Friends of Freer House lectures have helped to clarify those reasons. Upcoming Lectures will discuss Freer's involvement with the University of Michigan Art Museum (February) as well as the Bicentennial Project that was never built on Belle Isle (April).

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the info on the upcoming Friends of Freer lectures:

Sunday, February 10, 2008, Dr. James Steward, Freer and his influence on the development of the University of Michigan Museum of Art

Sunday, April 12, 2008, Dr. Geoffrey Drutchas, Freer and the Detroit Bicentennial Monument for Belle Isle

Lectures are held at the Freer House, 3pm. Free for Friends of Freer House members; $5 for nonmembers. Includes a tour of the House and light refreshments. RSVP (313)872-1790.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 342
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the updates everyone. Glad to hear a good part of Manoogian's collection has been secured for the DIA.

As for Charles Lang Freer, I hope to be in town one day when either a tour or lecture is being held at the Freer House.

Of all of Freer's collection, the Peacock Room had to have been the biggest loss. It is often referenced by books on the period.

At the Freer House, there's a gallery that leads to a second structure in the back. Was the Peacock Room in that building?

Gistok

Post Number: 5742
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are correct Xd_brklyn. What would otherwise have been a carriage house in the back of the property was connected to the main house by a gallery on the 2nd level.

The Peacock Room was in that back portion of the house.

Ironically the Peacock Room was initially commissioned and installed into a London England house. At some point later, it was sold to Charles Lang Freer, and shipped to Detroit. Now of course it's in DC.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3996
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralph Harmon Booth and the Booth family in general are legends in DIA history. I'm sure that, at their time, they had the best art collection.

Gistok

Post Number: 5746
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and lest we forget one of the biggest benefactors to the DIA of all time... Robert Hudson Tannahill, first cousin to Eleanor Ford (Edsel's wife) and nephew of J.L. Hudson.

It's hard to find many galleries at the DIA that DON'T contain Tannahill bequests.

Gistok

Post Number: 5747
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One other name that I've seen a lot of, especially in medieval European art is William Randolph Hearst.

Did he donate items to the DIA? Or did his heirs just sell off a lot of the extra inventory (after he died in 1951) that he had at Hearst Castle, but never used, with the DIA being among the bidders. Just wondering...

On 2nd thought... I may have answered my own question... something purchased at auction doesn't refer to the seller... but does refer to the person(s) or fund that paid for the auction purchase.

So anything listed as William Randolph Hearst would likely have come from him or his estate as a bequest.

(Message edited by Gistok on November 14, 2007)

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better yet try thanking S.S. Kresge, the owner of Kresge five and dimes, and eventually K-Mart for the Rivera murals. Kresge had Rivera paint them during the depression and paid him very well to do so.

Gistok

Post Number: 5752
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ironic how the Rockefeller's had the Riviera mural in Rockefeller Center destroyed after its' completion and the much expected ballyhoo over it. :-(

I bet they would have wished otherwise today!

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 575
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Destroying a Rivera mural was the ultimate in political correctness...how incredibly sad...its NY's loss...once again, Detroit has to be grateful for the Fords and their commitment to the culture of our city.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Edsel Ford commissioned the murals, not Kresge. Edsel is, after all, depicted in them.

Gistok: A docent told me several years ago that the armor in the great hall is on loan from Hearst.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the bad info, you are indeed right Spartacus. Rivera was hired by the Ford foundation, I was pretty sure it was Kresge that I read hired him but I was wrong.

Gistok

Post Number: 5772
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just looking at an Art Deco book and it showed the "sepia tone" murals that replaced the colorful Rivera murals in Rockefeller Center... dull!

That book also showed Rivera's murals at the DIA, and mentioned that they were his best work. They called him "the Raphael of Communism", as well as the best muralist of the 20th century... strong praise indeed!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.