Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The city on the strait: new banner « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, the new banner looks great-- what a shot of the river and bridge! Just more proof that our little "City on the Strait" is really a beautiful place.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 211
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's nice to get something other than a downtown shot once in a while!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3556
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome photo. The colors of the trees are great.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photo

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect shot for the banner. Nice visual composition, as usual with your fine fine work.

Lowell Boileau - a Detroit gem :-)

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photo, Lowell. That's me fishing down there near the Ambassador bridge.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shot Lowell...on a clear day you can see Zug Island!

That's me stuck in line on the bridge at the border...

Formerspringgardener
Username: Formerspringgardener

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shot of the bridge!

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell Boileau, ... great shot, love the physicality of the pic. It shows the umbellic link between our twin cities of Detroit and Windsor.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3507
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what's the vantage point? helicopter?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3979
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fort Street is one big-ass road.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2230
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was taken from penobscot or comerica tower.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Shot!

Just think how a twin span would ruin this.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10748
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have contacted homeland security. It is obvious that you are 'scouting' the bridge for potential terrorist purposes.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 170
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^LMAO!

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 931
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice photo Lowell, you can see the submarine races!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3781
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this must be in honor of its 78th anniversary.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1134
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i liked the old one that featured the space shuttle parked down by chene park.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful shot!

Nice to see another shot other than the skyline...

I bet if you show that shot to most Metro Detroiters, they wouldn't know where that was...

<313>

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice shot, gives a good perspective of the river area.
would also be nice to see a shot in the other direction to wards the city behind the bridge

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phenominal photo, Lowell, Thanks for everything that you do.

stromberg2, very impressed!

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alot of industrial smokestacks and somewhat bleak. How often do you rotate the banner pic? Perhaps you should have some autumnal colors from around the city on there. I too would like to know the story behind the photo: where did you take it and when? What sort of camera are you using?

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 323
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown, I don't find the industrial smokestacks bleak at all. Heavy industry is a big part of Detroit's economy and way of life. My family has worked at the Rouge Plant and other plants in the area for decades, and I'm very proud of their work there. The factories look massive and majestic in the distance, and they are symbolic of Detroit's prominence in the industrial world.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

73rd floor of the Ren Cen?

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shot, Lowell! I’m guessing it’s in the RenCen, but lower than the 73rd floor. I was in a friend’s room on the 65th floor this weekend, & my perspective there seemed higher than in this shot.

It’s got to be in the morning, b/c the sun would backlight the shot in the afternoon/evening. It was taken in the last couple weeks, b/c there is lots of color in the trees (assuming it was taken this year).

I’m pretty sure the orange vessel just above the Ambassador bridge is tug William J. Moore & her barge McCleary’s Spirit. I’d have to know the date to determine the salty at Detroit Marine Terminals. It looks like a BBC vessel. I think the vessel below the bridge is the Detroit-Windsor truck ferry tug Stormont with her barge & some trucks on the barge, but I can’t say for sure.

When did you take this shot, Lowell?

(Message edited by awfavre on November 13, 2007)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4299
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all for the kind remarks and a special thanks to Northend from the forum who opened the doors for me on a lovely autumn day.

Indeed it is from atop the Penobscot from a little over a week ago.

What particularly appealed to me in that shot was the curving wake of the ship passing below the bridge. The wake really accentuates the bend in the straits and give dynamism to the composition.

I also like the industrial landscape aspect. Behold once the pounding heart of the arsenal of democracy. Zug, Nicholson Marina, Rouge, Great Lakes Steel all hammering away - a portrait of what we were.

Camera inquiry - I have been using a Nikon D200 for the past two years and couldn't be happier with the results.

Here is the same ship a little later.

Ship in the Straits of Detroit

Jimaz

Post Number: 3799
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Google Earth:

Guardian

Jimaz

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I like most about the new photo is how well it shows the width of the river. You can't capture that from the ground.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6432
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitbill, from the river, here's the shot looking the other way.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Assuming Lowell took those shots on Friday, 11/2/07, the orange tug is, indeed, tug William J. Moore & barge McCleary’s Spirit, on their way to Sarnia. The salty at DMT is the Federal Matane.

Lowell, at the moment you took the second shot, the tug was abeam of my vantage point (photo below), at 12:32 pm. http://www.boatnerd.com/news/n ewsthumbs/images06/Ryerson8-9- 6-06acw.jpg

(Message edited by awfavre on November 14, 2007)

Nere
Username: Nere

Post Number: 71
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a beautiful photo, and I think I can see my house!

Thecarl

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what i like most about the new photo is how well it shows the length of the river. you can't capture that from the ground.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok guys - just where can I find this banner on the site? I'm not seeing anyone fishing by the bridge and I see no river at all. Only tree tops and the tops of the skyline with a large blue sky. I've been on the site for a couple of months now and its been the same banner. Do I have a different banner than everyone else???

I feel totally left out...:-(
Wazzup?

Thecarl

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eriedearie, i was likewise confused by all the laudatory comments, whilst i was seeing the old banner! try clearing your browser cache...or hold down "ctrl" and (while holding it down) hit "F5"

Eriedearie

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome! Thecarl to the rescue! I did the "ctrl" "F5" thingy - WOW you know some impressive magic stuff!

Now I'm "in with the in crowd". Thanks buddy!

Oh yeah - beautiful picture. Now that's what everyone's been talking 'bout! Love it! :-)

Thecarl

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, eriedearie! as the year draws to a close, this just must put me into late contention for a yessie award!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been trying to look over those treetops for the river to see if I could spot "The_ed" down there fishing by the bridge! I'm so glad you fixed it for me. Yep, now I can see him.

And the 2007 yessie award goes to..."Thecarl" :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 3831
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's that red mark on the ship's bow? Some kind of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer theme coming up for Christmas? :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 3832
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rudolph

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 464
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Lowell - I'm breaking with the rah-rah orthodoxy on this. On my screen the right side of the still, or the west side of the City is blurred out. A glitch in my hardware, or did you run out of film, daylight, stamina, etc? I, for one, would like to have the full view (and I've seen it from the Buhl, or about 20 stories below your vantage point. What gives?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1934
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

On my screen the right side of the still, or the west side of the City is blurred out.

The image is 1,204 x 118 pixels in size, so if your monitor has a wider screen resolution than that, you get the blurry stuff to compensate for the fixed width of the banner image.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, November 16, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a light/shadow thing to me, Jimaz.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 466
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HW/Lowell - the image on my screen dies out maybe 100 yards north of Jefferson. How far north/west can you see?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4315
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Hornwrecker wrote -> The image is 1,204 x 118 pixels in size, so if your monitor has a wider screen resolution than that, you get the blurry stuff to compensate for the fixed width of the banner image.

I always a continuation smear/blur for those with wider screen resolutions, better than a blank space IMO.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great shot, Lowell, of the Guardian Building and of our former law offices on the 32nd floor ( with the little balconies outside our windows ). The windows were locked from the inside so we could not get out on the balconies which was probably a good idea.
Before we took possession of the floor, there used to be a restaurant occupying the whole floor which was called the Aztec, and I have met a few folks over the years who remembered it.
My office was located on the far West end, with a panoramic view both to the West and the South. I had a marine radio on the window sill and could listen to the ship traffic. Lucky I got any law done!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.