Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Family Dollar Fire « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ct4438
Username: Ct4438

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where exactly this store is located? The website posting isn't very clear. Just curious because my brother-in-law did some work at a store this summer on Outer Drive, I believe, and was wondering if it was this one.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/14568803/detail.html

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joy and Evergreen.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 487
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This store was located on the northeast corner of Evergreen and Joy Roads.

That corner has some bad vibes.
Many years ago there was a restaurant called McGuire’s on that corner. It also burned to the ground.
Additionally, a few years ago a high school student was shot and killed while waiting for a bus at that corner.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2736
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These places are everywhere, they are kind of like the old dime stores

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 231
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i smell insurance fraud

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any time I was in that area, there were always cars in the parking lot and people walking in and out. Also, I didn't think Family Dollar was a franchise and corporate management probably wouldn't condone torching one out of surely many low performing stores. Disgruntled former employee maybe?

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1453
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could just be a freak thing. There were a few other things at that corner over the years including a fruit market where nothing happened. Don't always assume the worst; it becomes a self-fulfilling proficy (sp).

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2231
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McGuires. Damn, wife and I used to haunt that place 40 years ago. Great little place. Across the street was a Manufacturer's National Bank. A friend of mine worked there back then, and when she answered the phone, "MNB, Joy-Evergreen", often the caller would start, "Yes, Miss Evergreen......."

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1455
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Ray, I can't picture it there. Was this the one over by Artesian? If so, that was my branch as a boy.

Kitty corner was a Hamburger joint that is now an El Georges, then there were gas stations on the other corners, further out were Fliescman's carpets, Joy Pet Shop, IGA foodliner, Farmer Jacks....

Ramcharger

Post Number: 488
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides the one at Artesian, there was a Manufacturer's Bank branch at Plymouth Road and Evergreen.
I think the hamburger joint was called Jan's and the Farmer Jacks was a Food Fair.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i smell insurance fraud"

Yeah, there is no way that Mr. Levine and his Charlotte, NC company need to do anything shady to get money. He justed opened a children's hospital here in Charlotte.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5722
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the dollar stores have been carrying food stuffs made in China and Vietnam. I wonder how food sales have been lately with all the recalls of toys and pet food made in China.

I bet those Chinese canned goods and dried fruits/nuts are going to rot before anyone touches them...

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had one of their warehouses burn at Industrial & Dix, same building, 3 times in 5 yrs.
On the last one, I was driving the Battalion Chief and because the the previous history of the place we called for a Fire Investigator right away. In the meantime the owner shows up with his entourage, waltzing back and forth in front of the place, just being a pain. The Fire Investigator shows up, speaks with the owner and company for a few moments, then goes to his van and gets the dog. The dog sniffs around the entourage, just kinda being friendly, sits between 2 of the stoolies and barks once. The one guy suddenly bolt down the side street, the cops catch him after a brief foot chase, the other guy starts babbling and the owner tell him to Shut Up and tell the Arson guy I want my lawyer.

Yeah, Family Dollar does not have a real good track record in the Detroit Area

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That store was corporate owned , no way they do something stupid like torch one of there stores .

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 616
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the only type of retail that Detroit can get is burning down to the ground. Apparently to some force Detroit just isn't meant to be.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it a fire sale?

/ducking, running for cover

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did someone break in and try torching copper off?

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hadn't heard about the fire. This used to be a Rite Aid that closed.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 490
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the Rite-Aid building was razed. The building that burned was built for Family Dollar.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.