Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » I'll Never Forget....The Motortown Revue « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dec. 28, 1967

It was my sister's 13th birthday; a bunch of us hopped on the bus, got our transfers, and headed down Woodward for The Fox Theatre. I'd heard of the Motortown Revue; never thought I'd actually see one in-person.

We didn't have reservations; it was not a will-call situation...how the hell it was possible to purchase same-day tickets, I'll never know.
Five dollars got each of us into that show - incredible.

The concert featured several Motown acts, and the hilarious Willie Tyler and Lester - just like on television!

I'll bet that was the happiest birthday my sister ever had; as for me, a star-struck 10 year-old, it was a night I'll never forget.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 600
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Motortown Reviews were the best deal in town! They would run for 10 days or 2 weeks during the holiday season and the acts would change at midpoint during the run. Several of the years that I attended, Little Stevie Wonder was the headliner.

I saw Gladys Knight & the Pips when their Heard It Through the Grapevine first came out. Compared to the Temptations, the Pips weren't all that polished. When they came back the following year, they were much more in sync (but still no match to the Temptations).

Actually, the Motortown Review was the second best deal in town. The WCHB Christmas Party, also at the Fox, was only $2, IIRC.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 538
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.... I wish there was something like that when I was growing up in the D.

All we had was a perv called Robert Kelly!

<313>

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked with Willie Tyler's brother Henry for a couple of years. Great guy. Does anyone know if any of the Motortown Review shows were ever recorded for an album?

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 883
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to what they called the Motown Revue at the Fox.
We saw Marvin Gaye, Martha Reeves & the Vandellas, The Marvelettes, Smoky Robinson
and his Miracles,....I think the Supremes were there, too.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ed, the official name was the Motortown Review; but everybody refered to it as the Motown Review. It was put on by Motown Records.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 310
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory....There is a multi CD set available; released about five years ago. You can order it through Amazon or Alibris for about $65 brand new - a lot less for a used copy.

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an "LP" "Four Tops...Live at the Roosetail". Yes the Night Club...late 60's...I sold the darn thing long time ago. Probably out of context in this thread, but did it ever make it to a tape or preferably CD? Any help is appreciated. Thank You.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14509glenfield....there might be something here:

http://www.musicstack.com/albu m/four+tops/live

D2dyeah
Username: D2dyeah

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The audiences were sometimes better dancers than the Motown acts!!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5600
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba recently went on the Hitsville Museum Tour. The tour guide was a young man with tremendous polish and showmanship. He kept us interested in such a small place for 2 hrs. Everyobdy with an interest should take the time to visit. They even stage roll plays in the studio, with an opportunity to act and sing like Marvin Gaye or Little Stevie, or Martha Reeves.

The guests tend to be 50 yrs. or older and are very knowledgable about the Motown era in Detroit.
Always, somebody knows somebody and there are guests who atually grew up in the inner city.
Lovely experience.

jjaba, Westsider.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba hit the nail on the head. It is a great place to visit if you're not looking for a finely polished museum. I used to go there alot when Brother John Knowles was curator at the time (late 80's early 90's) It's too bad that Motown (even Berry Gordy) would rather see that precious history rot instead of putting some dollars behind a REAL Motown museum. Could be a fantastic attraction for Detroit. Still, if you have family visiting and they are fans (like who isn't), take a trip to the little house on West Grand Blvd.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.