Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Cosby to Detroit: Speak up against crime « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, no comments on this yet?

from http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20071110/M ETRO/711100442

quote:

...Cosby's visit was part of efforts by Arise Detroit! to revitalize the city. The nonprofit this summer organized a citywide block party and has plans for similar events in the future, officials said.

Cosby arrived as the Cooley High School II Tyght Drumline played in the parking lot of a commercial plaza on Rosa Parks Boulevard. The students played throughout the march, which snaked through the Virginia Park neighborhood before ending in a vacant lot near Woodrow Wilson and Taylor.

The marchers slowly picked up steam and people as it visited streets and neighbors saw Cosby. People began leaving their homes, porches and even cars to participate. By the time they made it from a shopping plaza -- the starting point, near the recreation center -- to the empty lot, roughly 150 people had participated.

...Cosby told the marchers to call police if they see a crime happen and to take a stand against crime. Detroit Police often complain that residents are afraid or refuse to speak up when they witness crime.

Sherri Harris liked that message. The 40-year-old Detroiter who lives in the city's Brightmoore neighborhood on Saturday marched with her two sons.

"I don't know if it can have an effect," she said of Cosby's visit. "They can't just walk. They have to take action."

Phoenicia Jackson, a 41-year-old Detroiter, marched with her two youngest children. She said the march is important because she wants to leave a better world for her children.

"I don't want them to grow up in a society worse than this," she said. "That is where it is headed."

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand why Cosby, our Chief of Police, and whoever else may say that stuff about stepping forward, cooperating with the police, and reporting crimes, but I hope that they, in turn, understand that it is not all about folks having an adversarial stance toward the police, or feeling that "snitching" is stigmatized. More than any of those things, it is about citizens recognizing that, when it comes to certain types of criminal activity, once you stick your nose in it, you may not be able to get your ass out of it, and if the stuff hits the fan, the cops are in no position to protect you & your family, 24/7, from retribution. The Chief appears to be aware of that problem, but seems to have a notion that folks should just go ahead, anyway, and take the risk, but we're not talking about somebody soaping our windows, here. If my "dropping a dime" on somebody is going to put my family at genuine risk, I'm not going to do it, and no fanciful rhetoric is going to persuade me otherwise.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6787
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is part of Cosby's plan to save the black race in America against their own self-destruction or becoming extinct by the 22nd Century. Detroit would be a prime example of saving the deteriorating large black community.

Cosby urged black folks in America to rise up against their oppressors, institutional racism, crime, drugs, gangs, BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS and other races who are being successful in their lives. It is their ONLY way if they want to recognize themselves a human being with equal and civil rights. For as for right now most white folks and other xenophobic races ONLY recognize blacks as 1/3 human and 1/9th great apes.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 511
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what study was that from?
1/3 and 1/9th? Never heard that one before.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2149
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^He's probably erroneously referring to 19th century census methods where black people were counted as 3/5's of a person.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 412
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^not census, but formula for calculating population size to determine size of states' Congressional delegations during the time of slavery.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 409
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On one hand, I keep hearing victims of crime in Detroit (including some in my own family) complaining that when you call the cops, they don't do anything. On the other hand, now the police department is complaining that not enough people are reporting crimes.

So who is telling the truth here? I know who I believe.

Craig

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you know the answer why are you teasing us with questions?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 6963
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cosby is 100% correct. Step up and take control of your own community is the message.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine- I agree, you have two competing agenda's here. The police want to solve crimes. Sometimes the only way to solve a crime is to have the residents "drop a dime". However by doing this the residents who have to stay in the area put themselves in serious risk of harm. Unless the police can protect them or some kind of witness protection program helps them its better for them to say they didn't see anything.

Craig

Post Number: 420
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the law/police are not supported by the community, then the cops may as well not even respond to calls for help.

Ravine

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep in mind, that I'm acknowledging the truth in what Cosby is saying, but I would like to know if he hears the truth in the other side of this argument.
Also, his comparison to the days when the KKK rode through was ill-conceived and flawed. (See, "whack.")

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lets provide an education and jobs first. offer people a life outside of crime.

there will always be those who will always lean towards crime, but then there are those that don't know any world other than it.

detroit's crime problem stems from poverty.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"lets provide an education and jobs first. offer people a life outside of crime."

Good luck with that. With China making everything these days, I don't see a large influx of decent paying jobs for masses of unskilled workers, like manufacturing jobs were.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3564
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes, that last post of mine was so pessimistic, I think I've been reading LY's posts too much.

Ravine

Post Number: 1577
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Poverty has been a major problem for decades, now. The crime problem has grown in a manner that is disproportionate to the growth of the poverty problem. Therefore, Mike, I respectfully quibble with your post's final statement. I don't believe that we can break it down quite so simply as that...

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that what the anonymous tip lines are for?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The crime problem has grown in a manner that is disproportionate to the growth of the poverty problem.

But is it disproportionate to the increasing availability of automatic weapons and the drug epidemic?

Ravine

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's a good bit more to the point, I would say.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.