Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Law school paper on city of detroit (18 pages); interested in comments « Previous Next »
Archive through November 12, 2007Onlypeoplewhohatethe30 11-12-07  11:39 am
Archive through November 12, 2007Bearinabox30 11-12-07  1:44 pm
Archive through November 27, 2007Onlypeoplewhohatethe30 11-27-07  11:57 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2837
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah those mandatory law school curves can be rough sometimes...I believe at Wayne the rule is that 45% of the class has to receive a B- or below, which is tough since everyone in the class is pretty bright

it's not like undergrad where you have a few smart people, a few dumb people and everyone else is in the middle...a lot of time any person in the class is capable of getting the highest or lowest grade in any given class

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4330
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only... I have often noted that this forum is not Harvard, everyone gets admitted and stays as long as they behave by the rules they agreed to.

So the range of responses you get will here will vary from the useful and sublime to the the picky and silly. If you can't deal with that don't stick your neck out and then get all defensive when others speak their mind. If you were in oral arguments, an objection of your being argumentive would be sustained. Jiminnm offers excellent advice.

Regarding the issue of writing, you must know by now that the 9/10's of the law, maybe more, is about written documents.

So the criticisms of your writing skills are as valid, maybe more valid, as any made above. A critique of your writing style is in no way ad hominem.

All said, I'm glad to hear you got a B. No matter what you hold a forum record for the longest name.

Onlypeoplewhohatethemselveshateme
Username: Onlypeoplewhohatethemselveshateme

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lowell-

to be honest, I haven't gotten any useful criticism at all. All i've learned is that the people here don't like hearing anything that is negative about detroit. I can assure you that if my conclusion was that Detroit is the best I would have gotten a much different response, and you know that.

I find it interesting that not a single professor (or lawyer I've ever worked for) has ever made a note on my writing style and I've managed to be pretty successful so far academically and have a great career in front of me. Jiminnm offers shit advice, in my opinion. I don't care for his condescending tone.

In any event, thanks. I can't wait to post my next paper on this forum. I have a historic preservation paper due soon and you can bet my topic will be detroit.

here's hoping my research leads me to a more optimistic conclusion!

(Message edited by onlypeoplewhohatethemselveshateme on November 27, 2007)

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus-

believe me I know at this point. I'm a 3L and I'm looking forward to starting my job just so i can be done with exams!

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on the grade.

What law school do you attend?

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks,

university of chicago

Clermont
Username: Clermont

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we've got horrific eminent domain abuse going on in brooklyn right now w/ the atlantic yards project. really too bad we don't have the protections of the michigan court. of course it would also be awesome if kelo were applied properly.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2839
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great school...most people don't realize that getting a B at University of Chicago law school is like getting an A+ at most other law schools...very competitive and highly regarded program

(Message edited by thejesus on November 27, 2007)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You spend a lot of time around here for a 3L at U of Chi Law...

Thejesus

Post Number: 2841
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^usually your first year of law school is crazy busy and then things tone down quite a bit after that...besides, if he/she's a 3L and at U of Chicago, he likely has already has a market-rate biglaw job lined up after graduation...

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only-

I am not a college grad, although I recently went back at the age of 45 to obtain my degree. I must agree with most of the people who responded that your writing style, spelling and syntax suck. If you got a B for that paper, I'm in the wrong major!

I, for one, would never, ever think of trying to defend myself with such sloppy habits so apparently manifested in your writing. And, for you to have received a B as a grade, says a lot about how things have deteriorated over the years in our educational system. The curve was your only hope.

Frankly, I think your view of historic preservation sucks, too. You do make some valid points about eminent domain, but the rest of your argument, in regard to historic preservation, is lost due to your inability to CORRECTLY illustrate your point with so many of these errors(spelling, capitalization, etc.). Your acquiescence that historic preservation laws work, but are somehow ultimately flawed, also clearly illustrates your inability to understand even the most basic preservation project. I am willing to bet that you have done very little research on those laws, as you provide no clear examples of your assertions.

As for becoming an attorney, try to grow a bit of a skin and realize that there is often much that can be improved in our lives by taking "constructive criticism" and using it-surprise-constructively! When the opposing side opens up on you in court, your tired defense of yourself will completely crumble, and you will be exposed for the sham that you are for all the courtroom-and your opposition-to see. They will use this weakness against you.

Also, when you intend to refer to something, do so so that you can be CLEARLY UNDERSTOOD and do not have to explain your intent. There are many places in these threads that you should have done that but didn't.

If you want to contribute to the law, your city and your ability, then please be a bit more articulate, something that I think an attorney should exemplify.

As for the paper, I grade it a C, and I'm giving it some. If you wrote a paper like that for a school like U of M, I believe you would have been given an incomplete.

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive actually been following the atlantic yards project. it sucks since brooklyn is turning into manhattan but it's not that bad of an idea. eventually, things turn out as they will, and new communities that have been lost sprout up elsewhere. It's never good for things to stay the same for too long.

the life of a student is nice. once 1L is over things are much more relaxed (except right now of course since exams start in a week and i've got to cram like a madman).

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm also calling shenanigans on your University of Chicago claim...that was some John Marshall calibre writing.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2843
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As for the paper, I grade it a C, and I'm giving it some. If you wrote a paper like that for a school like U of M, I believe you would have been given an incomplete."

His school is actually slightly higher than U of M on the law school rankings charts...

I haven't read the paper but if he got a B at U of Chicago it can't be that terrible...I think part of the problem is that most people aren't accustomed to legal writing...it's a completely different style of writing than what people learn in high school and college

Thejesus

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmm...there seems to be quite a consensus here that the paper was kinda bad...I'll try to give it a look later and offer my two cents...

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

plymouthres-

If your not even a college graduate why would you have any clue on what it takes to be a good lawyer? Unlike you, I've actually worked in the law for a couple summers now and have seen for myself what it takes to suceed at the very highest levels of the legal profession.

Legal writing is indeed different that other writing than you are accustomed to. also, sorry guys, i dont really proofread for spelling or grammer errors in my posts. not worth the time. only the content is important.

i can assure you that i attend the u of c. and yes, it is widely considered as being superior to u of m.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TJ-

My dad attended law school for seven years, at Wayne/The Detroit College of law. Although he was not a practising attorney, he made sure that I at least had a comprehension of what the written arguments meant and I can read legalese just fine, thank you. His paper may be adequate enough for the law, but his writing here is abhorrent. Lowell is correct on that account. I am sure he would have flunked if he wrote like that in his paper.

Why is it that attorney's always insist that we common people couldn't possibly understand what the written word(legal) means?

I forgot, if they knew we could understand the law, I guess we wouldn't need them, would we?

If he is going to become an attorney, perhaps he should write like one, too.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3187
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Only... I have often noted that this forum is not Harvard, everyone gets admitted and stays as long as they behave by the rules they agreed to."

DYes ~ Wayne State

Yay Detroit!

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres-

how does one attend law school for 7 years? So your father, a non practicing attorney, taught you, a non college graduate on what good legal writing is? that is quite impressive.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i dont really proofread for spelling or grammar errors in my posts. not worth the time."

Point taken. Apparently it is not worth your time to at least appear educated. We are indeed not worthy.

Also, since you know NOTHING about me, except for what I have said here, your ASSumption of my background is also invalid. It is apparent from your dismissive attitude towards the rest of us that what we have to say doesn't even matter. My question is why did you torture us with this crap to begin with if you had no intention of posting something both worthy of an argument and understandable? Perhaps you will succeed as an attorney after all with the way you cryptically allude to the facts.

Yeah, you will be a great success. Just like Fieger.......

By the way, NO ONE was attacking your legal opinion, just your usage of the language, both written and otherwise.

Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only's unbridled narcissism makes me hate myself.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2847
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"how does one attend law school for 7 years?"

yeah I was wondering this too...I thought ABA regulations were that you had to complete a J.D. in 6 years...I also have never heard of anyone taking longer than 4 or 5 years

Edit: unless he went back to get an L.L.M. or something

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow

you are a very angry person. do you honestly proofread your posts to this board? I don't judge people based on that and I thought people would extend me the same courtesy. the point here is content so we can exchange dialogue.

didn't you just tell me your a non college graduate who went back and got you degree at 45? That is the only assumption I made since you told me that yourself.

If you read this thread I've responded to every single person's point and critique in regards to content. Not sure where i was cryptic. the amount of posts to this thread seems to be goo proof that this is a topic worthy of discussion and not sure what you mean by that either.

I'm not going into the same practice that Fieger does, but he is indeed a very successful attorney.

no sure how you can use language if it isn't written since we're on a message board, but ok man.

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also guys.

i didn't come up with my moniker myself. it was taken from a friend of mine and i borrowed it because i though it was funny because it is indeed so arrogant.

ya'll need to take a chill pill.

Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Daley (senior) took over a decade to complete his law school education...it's not as rare as you guys think.

http://www.chicagohistory.info /stories/daley/politicalcareer .html

Plymouthres

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it took 8 years as in PHd in law (Juris Doctorate?) That would be four years of undergrad, followed by four years of actual law school? I guess I'm really stupid.

And no, my father did not teach me the law, as you alluded incorrectly once again. There's your condescending attitude showing again.

As for the law and deciphering law briefs, I admit that they can be a bit labored in their content, but how can you question the comprehension of someone you don't even know. I was reading when you first shit in a rag, kid, so knock off your condescending bs with me and grow up.

Just cause you are a third year law student doesn't mean shit to me or anyone else who chooses to discuss these topics.

And by the way, I am 20 credit hours away from my BSME. I guess I'm too stupid to get it done like you have, raising two kids, putting them through college first and so on. But you wouldn't know about that, would you?

My dad took the seven years he did because he went to college at night. But you wouldn't have know that, either, would you? By the way, my dad worked for 42 years in the LEGAL DEPARTMENT of MESC. He was the first Treasury in agent in the State of Michigan-his badge number is 1. He also passed away in 1987.

I would pay good money to be in the courtroom for the first case you present, bucko! It will be a slaughter! Any takers?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2849
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arab guy:

back before the great depression, it might have been different...I'm pretty sure that the ABA mandates that a J.D. be completed in no more than 6 years now...

Thejesus

Post Number: 2850
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I thought it took 8 years as in PHd in law (Juris Doctorate?) That would be four years of undergrad, followed by four years of actual law school? I guess I'm really stupid."

No, you're not stupid. You said he was in law school for 7 years but law school is generally 3 years...I think you just meant that he was in college 7 years total between undergrad and law school

no biggie

Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, I know what the rule is now, but you guys were doubting whether Plymouthres' father could have done it in seven years, and it's safe to assume that his father wasn't attending law school in the recent past. I don't know when the ABA rule was introduced, but historically, that hasn't been the case.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2852
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^yeah, well, I wasn't so much doubting as I was wondering about the comment...if you read my response, it wasn't confrontational at all

Plymouthres

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TJ-

Yes, that is what I meant, but I actually think it took him longer because he was going part time. He also never actually became an attorney as he never took the bar.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2853
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^that's cool...I'm going part-time as well...it will be 4 years total for me, including summers...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 400
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PlymouthRes- Don't let this poo stain get to you. I doubt he is a student at University of Chicago, but I do believe he is full of himself.

This guy is like a boil, the more attention you pay to it, the bigger the head. Take my lead and do not respond to him.

Your dad sounds like quite a guy, I can tell you are proud of him, so just brush off that guy's negative energy and avoid him. Finally, going back to school shows real courage; something all of us can use more of. good job.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad was attending law school........from about 1940 to 1951, interrupted only by WWII for six years. Not during, but shortly after The Great Depression.

Plymouthres

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome-

Thanks for the kind words and the encouragement. Sometimes guys like him really piss me off.......

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

clearly.

age =/= intelligence, btw.

i'm happy that you have raised a famiy and that you are going back to school. those are certainly valuable experiences. unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact, that although I'm only about half your age, i've had a lot more formal education than you have (and probably of a higher quality).

in an intellectual disccusion, the fact that you've changed diapers doesn't mean much.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 407
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither does formal education.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3861
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i'm happy that you have raised a famiy and that you are going back to school. those are certainly valuable experiences. unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact, that although I'm only about half your age, i've had a lot more formal education than you have (and probably of a higher quality).

in an intellectual disccusion, the fact that you've changed diapers doesn't mean much."

You really think you're something, eh?

Keep telling people, if you say it enough, maybe they'll believe you (and you'll believe yourself.)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres-

The laughable aspect of this guy is that he lacks enough life experience to know what he doesn't know. It is the cocktail of arrogance and ignorance that makes Ms. Poo Stain kind of sad.

Again, try not to respond directly to Poo Stain, he just ain't worth the time.

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

formal education certainly helps your level of intelligence. there is a value added to being educated. not sure on how sending your kids through school helps in an economic debate of manufacturing v. services, although the fact i have a business undergrad degree probably helps me better understand the topic.

of course im not using intelligence in the sense of what you are intrinsicly born with. Everyone has limits. I'm never going to be a rocket scientist, for example.

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also, just because i'm young doesn't mean i lack life experience. that's jsut silly. i've done some cool things so far.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, my.

i'm so educated don't harsh on me i don't need to use grammar i'm going to be a big lawyer listen to me i want people's praise look at me how smart i am

Pfffft ...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3862
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It takes lots of things to prove you are smart, but only one thing to prove you are ignorant." - Herold

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jeez, you guys really take this whole proofreading before you post thing seriously. sorry guys. im not going to change your policy.

Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sticking with my prediction earlier, I'm convinced this blowhard is actually a John Marshall student...

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im not really sure what you want me to do to prove that i do indeed attend u of c (im actually sitting in the law library in hyde park at this exact moment overlooking a construction project on our infinity pool). even so, if i was a jmls student, how would that change anything?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only, I don't really care where you go to school because your comments indicate to me that you're not yet ready to be a good lawyer. You seem to lack the capacity to see and understand opposing points of view, as well as the inability to accept criticism from those who likely know more than you and see it as a way to improve yourself.

You may pass the bar, but if you take your current attitude into a law practice you're going to get your butt kicked in an adversarial situation (assuming one of the senior folks wherever you're employed don't do it first and often).

If you got a B on that paper, I guess I should have gone to Univ Chicago where the 3.4 GPA I got at Wayne's Law School would have been a 3.8. Oh yes, since official paper seems important to you - I have a BS, MBA and JD, and practiced law for quite awhile.

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Onlypeople,

Your paper was not bad. It was not B material though.

I believe that your writing style could use a little more refinement in grammar and organization. From an advocacy/analysis perspective, you need to tie the legal principles you are citing back to a concrete point or principle you are addressing in a particular section.

In this particular paper, I think you may have been better served by framing your conclusion much more explicitly in the opening paragraphs and using the various U.S. Supreme Court decisions as building blocks on the current state of the law and contrast that with the development of eminent domain in Michigan.

From a legal writing standpoint, learn to use footnotes. They are very important in maintaining the flow of your argument without disrupting the text with citations in the body of your text.

With respect to your case citations, you hammered upon three cases primarily while missing a number of more minor cases that could have been used to support your position much more effectively.

Maybe I missed this in your paper because it wasn't a headline point but you have a very glaring error in your paper with respect to recent amendments to the Michigan Constitution governing the application of eminent domain. I'd review the effects of Proposal 4 to the Michigan Constitution and its impact on the usage of eminent domain.

I'm not going to beat you up on the paper too much because you grasp the core concepts. The application of thought to paper however, could use some fine-tuning, particularly if you intend on working at BigLaw.

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey everyone this is an actual quality critique

I do know how to use footnotes, i just made a personal choice to use internal citations.

every other one of your points are valid and are noted (although I may not necessarily agree).

Can you please explain the effects of proposal 4 to me? I purposely used the most recent lr articles to use as cites for the amendments, and double checked the recent constitution, but i suppose its possible i missed something.

no worries. luckily im doing m&a work when i start next fall so hopefully not too many research memos!

are you a practicing attorney or ls student?

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 628
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Threadjack alert --

Arabguyumich- Welcome back.

OK. Carry on ...

Umcs
Username: Umcs

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Onlypeople,

Prop 4 is probably best explained by referencing the state House and Senate Fiscal Agencies.

http://house.michigan.gov/hfa/ PDFs/Ballot%20Prop4_2006.pdf

I was a practicing attorney although I currently am not actively practicing as an attorney.

If you're doing M&A work, you will be writing research memos after you've put your time in doing scut work. More importantly however, if you are lucky, you will eventually be senior enough to write opinion letters. Sophisticated writing ability is vital no matter what your practice area is.

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting.

from what i saw, it didn't look like there was that much writing. obviously there is alot of due diligence in data rooms, but i mainly saw a lot of drafting of merger agreements, shareholder agreements, bylaws, etc.

I guess there are some opinion letters, but i didn't see any. The only writing I could think of is if your helping a partner write a journal article or doing research if they're writing a book.

what does a m&a lawyer need to research on? i could see a tax lawyer or a bankruptcy lawyer needing to do research, but if m&a is just drafting, i assumed it was more cutting and pasting and getting certain clauses into the contracts.

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just flipped through it

I'm pretty confident that i summarized prop 4 correctly.

no econ development, blight okay, need to be compensated 125%

am i missing something?

Thejesus

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"no econ development, blight okay, need to be compensated 125%"

I haven't read your paper, and I'm not sure what you mean by "blight ok"...

But two of the most noteworthy things about prop 4 is that, for one, if the condemning authority is taking land in an effort to eradicate blight, then the burden of proof it has to meet is higher than if it were taking it for other public use reasons...i.e., preponderance of evidence for an ordinary taking for public use v. clear and convincing evidence if taking to eradicate blight

Also, the amendment essentially constitutionalized Hatchcock, which means that a future Michigan Supreme court can't just come in and overrule Hatchcock the way that the Hathcock court overruled Poletown...rather, it would now take a constitutional amendment to alter eminent domain law in the state of Michigan

The property rights folks pretty much ensured that the rules would be set in stone this time around

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meaning you can condemn for blight.

"also, the amendment essentially constitutionalized Hatchcock, which means that a future Michigan Supreme court can't just come in and overrule Hatchcock the way that the Hathcock court overruled Poletown...rather, it would now take a constitutional amendment to alter eminent domain law in the state of Michigan"

This was stated in the paper.

"The property rights folks pretty much ensured that the rules would be set in stone this time around"

This was the reason why i said it was too rigid. In my paper i wrote how MI is the only great lake state to have this in their constution.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.