Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Former Edsel Ford Home Goes To Auction « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From WDIV:

Dumouchelle Galleries announced the auction the former Edsel Ford Home in Grosse Pointe.

The home is one of Grosse Pointe’s most historic Lakeshore Drive attractions.

Originally part of the Edsel B. and Eleanor Ford estate, 1017 Lakeshore Drive was designed by renowned architect Albert Kahn for the Ford family

The English Cotswold cottage was built in 1930, after the completion of the main Ford estate in 1929.

The elegant estate resides on a sizeable lot surrounded by acres of wooded preserves.

Dumouchelle galleries will have an open house at 2 p.m. on Nov. 11 and Nov. 18.

The live auction will take place at the home on Nov. 18 at 4 p.m.

For more information, call 313-96-6255 or visit http://auctiondetroit.com/hous eDisplay.aspx?id=11

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as nothing structurally happens to the estate, they can sell it to whoever.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2462
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ford Estate is not for sale.

It is the cottage that used to be part of the Ford Estate that is for sale.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3965
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The first line is just a tad misleading. Only the small cottage housing on the property is for sale.

I predict $1.5 mil.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5711
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Gingellgirl... hope you're enjoying my Architecture books! :-)

That house is across Lakeshore from the Edsel & Eleanor Ford house, on the southern side of the property (towards Vernier). I always thought it was the caretakers cottage to the estate.

The nice thing about owning this property is that on 2 sides you'll be surrounded by the vast never-to-be developed meadow acreage of the estate across Lakeshore Dr. from the gate house.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5596
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Gistok bidding on the Ford House?
Invite us to the open house.

jjaba, on the Westside.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cottage has been for sale for quite a while- it is just now going for auction. It was listed around a million while it was for sale. I read in the GP paper yesterday that the starting bids will be 600,000. Just an FYI for anyone with some disposable income....

Gingellgirl
Username: Gingellgirl

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm only hoping whoever buys it doesn't knock it down and "redevelop" the property ala the Josephine Ford house.

Yes, Gistok, I'm enjoying the books very, very much. Thanks again!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can,t afford a $600,000 cottage, guess the $350,000 bank/bar combo will have to do.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3181
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based on the pictures on the link it looks to me like they f-ed up the roof at some point. Cotswald cottage roofs usually originally had those cedar shingles that mimic a thatched roof with BIIG lumps and undulations. Did they get rid of that with that with a new roof? If so that would be a shame ... there are not many of those left in metro Detroit and they were once a distinctive feature of well to do metro Detroit neighborhoods (like seeing a little old lady cruising around in an Imperial or Deitrich delivery trucks) ... tho I did recently see a teardown rebuild in B'ham that had what looked like a clumsy attempt at this roof style ...

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5122
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That roof is def. new. About 7 years ago or so I remember the Ford Mansion had a new roof installed. They brought in slate pros from England to do the job....yeah, at a cost of 2 mil.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think this will fetch more than 700-800K... but it's a beautiful property rich with history...

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving to work Sunday morning I saw a coyote running from the E. Ford estate towards the field and house. Couldn't get the camara out in time to take pics.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 668
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i predict 695,000

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 501
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 bedrooms is a little impractical these days.

i wouldn't think it will go for more than 650,00 if at all.

Renfirst
Username: Renfirst

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they're doing the right thing with an auction though, you know how people get excited and overbid hoping to be the "winner"

I was amazed at some of the prices some homes were reaching at the Hudson and Marshall auctions a couple of months ago... it was quite entertaining...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.