Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Outgoing Ecorse mayor cuts successor's pay from $69k to $12k « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071109/NEWS02/ 711090333

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, a little bitter?

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 236
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure is but what are councilmembers in Ecorse getting that kind of money for in the first place? Even the reduced amount is a lot more than what people on City Councils get paid in communities that aren't as half as screwed up as Ecorse is.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2692
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reduction in city council pay isn't as silly as the mayoral pay, except for the fact that the article stated that the current CC was going to raise their own pay if they got reelected, but decided to reduce their successor's pay after they were defeated.

But the reduction in mayoral pay makes it so anyone assuming that role would likely have to get a second job, unless they were independently wealthy...

In fact, there could even be a situation where the guy the people elected to be their mayor simply can't afford to take that position now and will have to resign...

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe most cities the size of ecorse to not pay their mayor that much.

Thejesus

Post Number: 2693
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

even so, this hardly seems like a case of the outgoing mayor just thinking the compensation is high...

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i believe most cities the size of ecorse to not pay their mayor that much.

Kevgoblu
Username: Kevgoblu

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously this city council had the best interest of the city at heart. (sarcasm) This is stupid.

The newly elected officials should petition to have the salaries returned to the previous rate. If its determined that the pay is too high for the level of work and time involved, then they should demand that the current council members reimburse the city for the difference, for all the years they served.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city's day-to-day should be run by a city manager anyways. Ecorse has shown that it's current government structure is woefully unsuited for that community.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 39
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's one of the most blatantly unprofessional actions I have ever read about from public servants.

Japes
Username: Japes

Post Number: 34
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is Ecorse -- expect nothing else out of them. The only city around this area that can even come close to them in politics is River Rouge. Detroit and Wayne county aren’t even in the same book as those two.

Honestly though it should have been cut long ago.

On another note the indictments will probably be coming this week for the former mayor, some council members, and select dept heads.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1127
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it would be a genuine gesture if those officials gave back to the city the difference between what they feel the position is worth, and what they took for it.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 904
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a City Councilman in a City in Oakland County about fifteen years ago. At the time, our "salary" was $30 per meeting, and the Mayor got $40. We met twice a month; do the math.

I'm not sure we earned THAT much. A full-time paycheck for a mayor of a suburb is kind of ludicrous if you ask me (not that anyone did).

By the way, my City had, and still has, a manager-council form of government. Far better to pay one person (the manager) to be the full time person, we thought then, and I still think.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was a City Councilman in a City in Oakland County about fifteen years ago. At the time, our "salary" was $30 per meeting, and the Mayor got $40. We met twice a month; do the math.

I'm not sure we earned THAT much. A full-time paycheck for a mayor of a suburb is kind of ludicrous if you ask me (not that anyone did).

wow. i was an emt for owosso township rescue. despite the fact that it was a volunteer service, we were paid $5 if we went on a run. while most runs were probably called in response to difficulty breathing, irregular heartbeat, and moderately banged-up bodies at car wrecks - there were the ones that are the seeds of never-ending nightmares, and stories that are never told, because they are too appalling, gruesome, and depressing.

$5 a run. the "pittance" fee for city council reminded me, but it makes me wonder - where are our priorities?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6788
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Salisbury is probably upset that he lost that election so start getting into a bad attitude problem and plan cut mayor elect's pay. I'm not sure that Ecorse City Council will approve it.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 46
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might want to check out this installation of a Fox 2 News Problem Solvers report by Scott Lewis on the Mayor of Ecorse.
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/my fox/pages/News/Detail?contentI d=4773548&version=3&locale=EN- US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.10 .1

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Salisbury Steak reminds me of the former Mayor Stanley of Flint. totally corrupt and inept. At least Salisbury didn't go as far as to propose cutting down all of the trees in City Parks and selling the wood to help ease the city's budget woes.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott Lewis of Fox 2 News did an admirable job in helping to change the corrupt leadership of City Hall in Ecorse. It'll be reassuring when the Feds and EPA take action against the contractor and former Mayor.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.