Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit's population is increasing. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6781
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Revise census figures shot that Detroit's population is back above 900,000. The 2006 census estimated the city's population at 871,121. A challenge by the mayor's office has been upheld, putting the new number at 918,849.

Source Channel 4

THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE! Is black flight from Detroit to the suburbs slow down or increasing. Is the hip cool skinny jean white folks coming back to Detroit? Is the Mexican Hispanic communities in Southwest Detroit also increasing? Are we getting a new Bengladeshi community in Conant Gardens. I do know that we a have 3 fast growing Arab-Islamic communities in Warrendale, near west side along McGraw and Lonyo St. and Mt. Elliot anc Conant Street's. What can say about this sudden change?

Source: Channel 4

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 250
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting with all the foreclosures. But then again even the foreclosures are starting to sell in our neighborhood...maybe we are going up? It seems like when ever I go to SW Detroit the population seems like it is really booming there compared to when I was younger.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The population is "increasing" because the city didn't challenge the '05 estimate, only the '06. So that one won't change:

quote:

And because the city did not challenge the 2005 estimate of 883,465, the records will now show that the city's population grew between 2005 and 2006.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20071109/NEWS01/ 711090319/1001

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the new number is accurate, that is great. An additional 52 thousand residents is no small number. Who knows how that changes the equations businesses use to select new locations.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mildly good news

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3493
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Businesses elsewhere who don't know the caveats may look through such data, see the population increase, and make decisions that are positive for Detroit based on them. Hey, whatever it takes. :-)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 10728
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news but that does not mean the population is truly increasing, just that the current census numbers are more accurate.

The found people have probably been undercounted all along so the outbound trend is still there but the total population was shifted down.

Still good news but to say that the population is increasing is pure manipulation of the facts.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 374
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are almost back in the top ten!

San Jose has only 12,000 more.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitYES!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More so than the specific numbers of the population +/-, the real issue is that this shows that Detroit is fighting hard to keep up its status,image, etc. Detroit should be applauded for this alone regardless of what the specific population is.

Jt1

Post Number: 10731
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One interesting point about the census that I read.

The census bureau uses a variety of numbers and factors but there are some strange ones. I read that they assume that homes over X years old (40, 50 - can't recall) are taken off the market and no longer used so they make decreases based upon older housing stock. It is up to the cities to prove that the homes weren't replaces, demo'ed, abandoned so it puts a much larger burden of proof on older cities as it does on newer cities.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1998
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More so than the specific numbers of the population +/-, the real issue is that this shows that Detroit is fighting hard to keep up its status,image, etc. Detroit should be applauded for this alone regardless of what the specific population is.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4566
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's possible that SW Detroit has gained in population but there are signs that it isn't happening: an increase in boarded-up or burned-out apartments, an increase in vacant storefronts, fewer people walking in commercial districts, etc.

This is somewhat anecdotal, but the Secretary of State office on Vernor typically has a waiting queue that takes 30 minutes or so. Yesterday, all of the clerks there had absolutely no waiting when I was there. A first for me being the only person there instead of several dozens...

Danny

Post Number: 6783
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some folks from the Census bureau are messing up the factual population data. Most of them are not looking at the statistics very well when it comes to home ownership. In a matter of fact Detroit's population could be over a 1,000,000 people. Look at the homeless folks that are living beneath the freeway overpasses, housing shelters and garbage cans.

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 804
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Garbage cans are counted in the census?

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3243
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny: It is as Zulu has said all along.

While people discuss the decreases in Detroit's population, they ignore the fact the the balance of the population loss comes from white residents who have left, coupled with the whites here that are not reproducing themselves.

This has been a standard fact since 1950.

The Black population in Detroit has expereinced migration to the burbs, but the birth rate is still high enough to nearly replace the migration losses, making the physical numbers hover in the 800,000 range.

Add to this the fact that there is an instate Black migration to the Detroit area from Saginaw, Benton Harbor, Flint, etc...and a West African Migration here, and still a trickle of Blacks people who move here from other states, keeps the numbers higher than anticipated.

You also have people moving back to the city, Blacks in particular, because of the foreclosure deal. People are moving back home with momma.

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol@ mind_field

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 542
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has always deserved to be in the Top 10. San Jose is nowhere near the actual size and has the same permanent infrastructure as Detroit. Instead (like LA), it's just another Low-Density Sprawlsburg.

Jt1

Post Number: 10734
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a comparison of density (people/sq mile) for the 11 most populated cities. The land area is from city-data.com and the population is from the census 2005 estimate (Detroit at 886,671).

Sorted from most dense to least dense:

26849 New York, N.Y.
12517 Chicago, Ill.
10831 Philadelphia, Pa.
8196 Los Angeles, Calif.
6379 Detroit, Mich.
5216 San Jose, Calif.
3872 San Diego, Calif.
3544 Dallas, Tex.
3480 Houston, Tex.
3083 San Antonio, Tex.
3078 Phoenix, Ariz.

I'm surprised at how much more dense Detroit is than some others. I guess the 'nobody lives there' stuff is even more non-sensical than I previously thought.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2136
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^And that's at half the peak population. At it's peak, Detroit's density was greater than Chicago's, I believe.

IMO, it's next to impossible to sustain that type of density without a mass transit system.

Jt1

Post Number: 10736
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the square miles used for the info:

Land Area
303.3 New York, N.Y.
227.1 Chicago, Ill.
135.1 Philadelphia, Pa.
469.1 Los Angeles, Calif.
139 Detroit, Mich.
174.9 San Jose, Calif.
324.3 San Diego, Calif.
342.5 Dallas, Tex.
579.4 Houston, Tex.
407.6 San Antonio, Tex.
474.9 Phoenix, Ariz.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1979
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

IMO, it's next to impossible to sustain that type of density without a mass transit system.

Agreed on that.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 224
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to talk about dense cities, you can't forget about Boston, San Francisco, and Seattle. I really think density is the most important factor when comparing cities.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2138
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^He's just citing the top 11 cities in terms of population. Btw, Seattle has nearly the same density as Detroit. DC would be a good example of a another dense city.

Jt1

Post Number: 10739
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

11550 Boston
15833 San Fran
6840 Seattle

What surprised me was how small by land area boston and san fran are. I had no idea.

Land area (sq. miles)

48.4 Boston
46.7 San Fran
83.9 Seattle

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because SanFran is on a peninsula and is approx. 7 miles x 7 miles in size, it's naturally restricted in size. It's also a county and its consolidated city-county government is unique in California:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S an_Francisco#Government

Also, I don't think California cities can cross county lines although counties can own property in another county (as SanFran does).

Boston is the original example of a city that was totally hemmed in by its suburbs. Places like Brookline are almost as dense as Boston proper and although most people think of them as part of Boston, they are independent cities and towns like Highland Park and Hamtramck.

As far as places like San Diego and Phoenix, they are definitely sprawling. But they also includes large areas of unbuildable land (mountains) in their borders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P hoenix%2C_Arizona#Geography

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5595
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Boston is a small place, surrounded by very old towns. They are part of the city mix, on regular transit lines, and not suburbs like in Detroit. (Cambridge, Sommerville, Brookline, etc.)

Mass transit is a key to keeping neighborhoods intact. Detroit chose expressways and the automobile.

jjaba.

Novine

Post Number: 241
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mass transit is a key to keeping neighborhoods intact. Detroit chose expressways and the automobile."

Very true in Boston. Once when I visited Boston, I had to stay in Newton and still was able to get into the city via the T. A car was more of a hassle than help in Boston proper.

Novine

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mass transit is a key to keeping neighborhoods intact. Detroit chose expressways and the automobile."

Very true in Boston. Once when I visited Boston, I had to stay in Newton and still was able to get into the city via the T. A car was more of a hassle than help in Boston proper.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mass transit for commuters/ visitors is a must to grow the region. I bet people who come to this city should sure like to get to metro from downtown without a car.

When we get over 1 million people again, that will be something to cheer for.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foreclosures does not mean people are leaving the city, it means they are loosing their homes... which means they have to move somewhere else such as rental properties and/or apartments or with family.

I think a study should be done on occupancy rates for rental properties to determine if people are really leaving or if they are simply moving next door so to speak.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 4569
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Detroit got what it paid for. It cherry-picked a private company through the Social Compact that produced the results they sought. [Writing fiction appears to be the MO for the Social Compact.] So, is Detroit going to continue taking the Kool-Aid or 'roids so that they can cook the stats again the next time? In fewer than three years, Detroit will have to endure another Census enumeration--one whose results they won't be able to jack up.

The local job losses from the past couple years and those expected during the next couple will surely be felt much more than at present. It'll probably mirror what occurred during the late 1920s, when Detroit's population took a severe hit before the 1930 census, bringing it below the probable two million peak when the recessions of the late 1920s took their toll prior to the Great Depression.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on November 09, 2007)

Jt1

Post Number: 10744
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The US census bureau approved of these numbers. Are they drinking the Kool Aid as well?

Hudkina
Username: Hudkina

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Census Bureau estimates have been wrong all along, so I don't see how anyone is drinking Kool Aid. Social Compact has studied cities all across the country and has found that America's urban population isn't as small or poor as the government likes to think it is.

The only people drinking Kool-Aid are the developers building sprawling subdivisions on 30 Mile Rd thinking that they will sell them.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you notice how those density numbers follow an east to west gradient. If you look at all cities (not just major ones), you see the same gradient, with the exception of San Fran (the second densest city in America).

As we all know, if Detroit lived up to potential, it would be about even with Chicago, solidly in the second tier of density behind east coast cities. It's amazing that Detroit's density, scarcely more than the density of Grosse Pointe Park (5600/sq. mile I believe) stacks up so well against other large cities, and equally amazing that there are major cities who have overall densities similar to Sterling Heights.

So the implication of all this is that we can now say that the 2006 census estimate puts Detroit's population over 900,000?

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 733
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is good news. I have always found it a little weird how fast the Census has counted Detroit's pop drop. It just seems like it went from one million to under 900,000 in not that many years. So I can see where they probably did undercount.

Danny

Post Number: 6786
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu_warrior,

Detroit's population may be 918,849 but the black flight still continues thus making the population decreasing slowly. Fewer Mexican/Hispanics, Begladeshis and Arab Muslims are making a quick growth in their oasis Detroit ghettohoods. Fewer hip cool skinny jean white kids are making their way to occupy some of the lofts, condos and apts. from Downtown Detroit to midtown areas. These groups could contribute to population growth.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Social Compact has studied cities all across the country and has found that America's urban population isn't as small or poor as the government likes to think it is.

Hudkina, please cite?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is, whree are all these people?

It's just too many prairies, abandoned homes and not enough people in our CBD for that number. Are many of the numbers including the homeless, land/slumlords and nursing home folks (seniors)?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 560
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, when I say land/slumlords, that includes the people that own and pay taxes on a home, but don't occupy it (not necessarily renting it out).

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2147
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Hudkina, please cite?

http://www.socialcompact.org/h arlem.htm

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 653
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow 900,000 people and still downtown detroit is dead during the day. I guess there all working.

(Message edited by lefty2 on November 09, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 563
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"wow 900,000 people and still downtown detroit is dead during the day. I guess there all working."

No, they're all in Southfield, Dearborn, Troy, Pontiac, Warren and Auburn Hills (our de facto centers). You know those wealthy bank workers are a bit too stuffy to do a lot of walking that's further than the parking structure. Instead, they have places for lunch and leisure inside the buildings.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 09, 2007)

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm never disappointed with the amount of activity I see Downtown Monday through Friday before six. Evenings during the week are slow, but Thursday through Sunday nights seem busy.

I'm most disappointed in the Saturday/Sunday daytime crowds. Granted, there are some ballgames, festivals and other events thrown in, but nobody's really "out", particularly when it's colder.

The ice rink at Campus Martius helps, but think about what it would be like if we had some decent retail along Woodward. This would be the beginning of the holiday shopping season! :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah lefty, do you go downtown during the day?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 632
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the census DID NOT SAY detroit grew... they simply admitted that they had made a mistake... maybe the social compact was not so wrong afterall?

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 565
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has nearly the highest mass transit taxes in the entire World and not just in the U.S.A. based on per passenger costs.

Detroit will never really grow much if at all and many even shrink more. Unless it can offer good city services including safe, clean, reliable public bus services.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.