Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Penobscot building in The Island? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hockey_guy
Username: Hockey_guy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today I was watching the movie called The Island. It takes place in 2019, most of the buildings and cars look very futuristic. In the skyline there's a building that looks exactly like the penobscot building. Did anyone else notice this?

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this what you are referring to?
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/ 1808607940/photo/572862

I believe that was filmed here...infact, I believe there was posting on this forum about it during filming downtown...you might find some related threads if you check the forum archives...

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1366
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It probably was the Penobscot, cuz parts of "The Island" were filled in Detroit.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5323

hockey 50% of that movie was shot downtown...

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city scenes were filmed in Detroit a few years back. You will also notice MCS. And welcome to the forum.

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, welcome to the forum, Hockey_guy. :-)

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 322
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Transformers was filmed here too, in case you didn't know already Hockey_guy.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh snap, and you can see the cheese grader behind it. Too bad no one outside this forum would notice this kind of thing.

It's also too bad that some movies that are supposed to take place in Detroit are shot elsewhere, Assult on Precinct 13.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 533
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Island's entire downtown chase scene was Downtown Detroit.

Such beautiful Architecture...

<313>

Nipsey
Username: Nipsey

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a link of the chase scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =5-PCs8V7nLg

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2681
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Transformers was filmed here too, in case you didn't know already Hockey_guy."

I loved the robot fight scene that takes place along Shelby Street right next to the Theodore Levin Federal Courthouse.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 61
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I don't really understand why they didn't just say they were in Detroit...I don't recall anything in the story requiring them to say they were in LA, and they could have saved putting in the LA City Hall and other such buildings into some shots.

Akoper
Username: Akoper

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, big-time Hollywood movie director Michael Bay loves to film in Detroit. Thought everyone knew about The Island and Transformers. Funny how he used the same two spots for two different movies.

The lower-budget, street basketball movie "Crossover" still has the most Detroit footage in it, though.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the Island you can clearly also see the huge half building size Yzerman ad.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Yzerman Mural that is in the movie. It is such a glaring tribute to the City of Detroit. I am surprised that they did not just photoshop it out. But it is great that it is there. Long Live Stevie.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I love the Yzerman Mural that is in the movie. It is such a glaring tribute to the City of Detroit. I am surprised that they did not just photoshop it out. But it is great that it is there. Long Live Stevie.

It seems like in both "The Island" and "Transformers" they left a tribute to Detroit. In Transformers they left the Fort st. sign in a shot for a good long time.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing a futuristic bus and bus stop at the corner of Griswold and Larned during the Island filming. I also recall long lines of extras returning their movie clothes.

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes sir, the Penobscot Building made the cut in both Transformers & The Island. Again, in both movies the Detroit scenes were fuzed into Los Angeles.

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason Bay came back to Detroit to shoot parts of Transformers here was because he had such a good experience filming some of The Island here.

As far as recognizable buildings, I don't think anyone mentioned the most prominent one: MCS in the chase in Transformers. Shia LaBoeuf runs into it trying to get away from Megatron.

Also, did anyone else find it incredibly distracting to see the same chase scene cut between the giant "Fort St" sign and "Wilshire Blvd" signs in Los Angeles?

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For my money, the 180 that the DOT bus does on Grand River in "Beverly Hills Cop" is still one of the best.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 707
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who can forget Collision Course. Here is an exciting scene from Trappers Alley.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Um47tQftaLo

393bird
Username: 393bird

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid and lived out in Redford Township. I remember being around 12 years old and a buddy and I took a bus from near Telegraph to downtown. The Penobscot building was the tallest building I had ever seen. We went in, and took the elevator up to the floor where they had a observation deck on, and I was just amazed at how tall it was, and the view. We spent all day exploring down town, then went home in time to meet the school bus near our house. My parents never did find out about it. Not a problem the whole day.

I moved from Michigan on 1959.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.