Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » 29th Street « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bunch of new frame houses that went up there last 10- 12 years . A lot of them ( majority it seemed ) are boarded up , boards torn off , vacant and vandalized. There's plenty of those newer houses there that look as bad or worse then the housing that was built in the 20's and 40's . Not a pretty sight at all .

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

29th and what cross street?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3946
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right around Jackson St., perhaps?

Yep, just because a someone builds new housing does not mean the standards in that neighborhood will increase. Poorly constructed and designed homes, furthermore, are more likely to show wear and tear and generally look like shit after a short amount of time where they are not kept up.

I really think some of the new construction around town i.e. the modest houses with their cute suburban-like attached garages south of Jefferson east of Marquette might be torn down and replaced themselves in 15-20 years (despite their attempts to be perceived as upscale with their attached garages and all).

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 155
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The area is bordered by Scotten, Michigan, Buchanan & Junction. It was a habitat for humanity project. That was my old neighborhood. There are a lot of trashed out new homes there, it is a damn shame.

Detroithabitater
Username: Detroithabitater

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely NOT a habitat for humanity project. Habitat for humanity has only built in 6 neighborhoods in detroit since 1986. Those include Brightmoor, Creekside, Tri-centennial Village, Marshall thurgood, Morningside Commons and Jane/Chalmers.

You are confusing it with tri-centennial village East of Grand Blvd....which is thriving.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you maybe quite right DH the area I mentioned is correct and the houses are I think identical. When a truck was stolen from the build site a couple of years ago it was reported to be a habitat for humanity vehicle by the media. So you may be very right, I was going on what I had heard on the news. It still is a damn shame though.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom grew up in that area before she moved up grand river, a few years back she said [they are building new houses, thats good] wonder if those houses are still liveable?. i have seen and heard it before [you try to fix up a house,then everything walks away] and not just detroit the burbs as well. no pride anymore, and then why is it a surprise that people move to nw oakland county?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.