Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Desecration/theft @ St. Andrew Church « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3944
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.aodonline.org/AODOn line/News+++Publications+2203/ Press+Releases+2303/2007+News+ Releases+15478/071024Reward.ht m

Pretty sick.

This happened at St. Andrew Catholic Church on the far west side.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahhhhrggg. damn... stealing from abandoned places is one thing. but hitting churches is another all together.

Last time I talked to the pastor at Bethel AME church on Ste. Antoine he told me scrappers had stripped the roof of its AC systems. I thought that only happened at party stores on Grand River. Sickening.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's OK, if they don't see the light, God will smite them.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3947
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me of the medieval tales of host desecration...be on the lookout for a miracle somewhere in the city.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is no more sick than someone stealing from an individual. At least the church doesn't have to pay taxes so it will be a little easier replace items.

Zxzm

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is no more sick than someone stealing from an individual. At least the church doesn't have to pay taxes so it will be a little easier replace items.

It's much more sick and you miss the point. This is pure disrespect for the one thing in the world that's bigger than everything else. These people need a lot of prayer for their souls, bad things await them if they don't right their ways.

Gumby

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not missing the point. It is only much more sick to certain people. I for one find it reprehensible to steal from anyone, churches included, but not because of some arcane beliefs, because it is morally wrong to take something that does not belong to you. You don't need religion or prayer to have morals.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 6391
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It just shows a lack of respect for places of worship.

Don't they realize they're messing with a higher power here and not just some residential job? Not that I'd condone ripping off anyone but these places should at least hold some higher regard to most people.

Gumby

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not necesarily. If the crook isn't religious what is it that they would hold to a higher regard. You cant expect someone who could give two shits about religion to have the same reverance as you.

Let me reiterate that I think stealing from the church is just as reprehensible as stealing from anyone else before people start flaming me for this.

Zxzm

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's more reprehensible. Even if you're irreligious, it's about respecting others beliefs. Theft+desecration of thing that many hold most dear=incredibly shocking.

Gumby

Post Number: 1630
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hold my car dear to me is that more reprehensible than if someone steals your watch which you kinda like but is worth the same amount as my car (not that much as it is 10 years old)? I am just pointing out the grey areas.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6428
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree with Gumby.

It's just "stuff", regardless of who it belonged too.

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just stuff. Churches and places of worship represent the collective belief and faith of their members. These places also served (and may still do, I don't know the neighborhood) as the foundations of neighborhoods. Generations of memories, hopes, dreams, learning, and so much more took place here.

If you think it's just a building, fine. If you don't believe and therefore don't care, fine. But there are probably thousands of people that have at one point or another walked through it's doors that would call you ignorant.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 10866
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ignorant is as ignorant does.

I'd say it IS just stuff, and whomever gets upset is probably dangerously close to worshipping graven metal idols...tempting a face-off with the Maker.

(Whom, I'm pretty sure, isn't that concerned with the barely one hour most religious people 'devote' to Him each week! Especially compared with what we do the other 111 waking hours...or even the dreams we entertain in those 56 sleeping ones!)

You, too, Gumby...that vehicle isn't any less an idol if you put it in such esteem...heh. Even if you don't believe in idols!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 394
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gumby - help me to understand where you're coming from... scrappers tear out the copper from a Holocaust or Underground Railroad museum - institutions created to remind us of important issues bigger than any individual. Would you feel any rage beyond what you'd have for some ordinary home that was similarly stripped?

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

legalities aside, aren't crimes against children worse than the same crime against adults? taboo is taboo, whether or not you personally agree.

sure, "it's just stuff," but stealing from a church IS worse than stealing from most other places.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 156
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just stuff - yes and no. It is just stuff but a church is like a family, a family has possessions passed down through the decades that are special to it. Would you be upset if your parents and or grand parents possessions where just taken and trashed to support a drug habit or such? So yes the church thinks of there possessions as special and would like to get them back just like I would like to get my deceased fathers retirement watch back that was stolen in a B&E in the 80's, it was just a watch nothing special. Just a piece of stuff, but a special piece to me.

(Message edited by karl jr. on November 08, 2007)

Gannon

Post Number: 10870
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe God is WAY more upset over the thug who drops Grandma Millie to the ground on the way to stealing her purse...with her last two pennies in it.

He knows the Church isn't going bankrupt before their time...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not true Gannon, just look at all the churches running out of cash in this city and being forced to close up.

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's disgusting. I hope they try to sell it to someone who takes offense and get a firm beating.
Theft is theft- but stripping a building that is still in use is appalling.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3949
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I notice some anti-Catholic undertone on this thread. Definitely lacking in sensitivity.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is VERY similar to knocking over grandma and stealing her purse. These scumbags know that no one is going to blow their head off when they go into a church to steal. When they break into a house, they never know if there is someone with a shotgun waiting. Anyone who preys on the helpless is as low as it gets. It is much worse than stealing the 8-Track player from Gumby's 1972 Pinto.

Gannon

Post Number: 10871
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anti-Catholic? Whachoo talkin' about?! Why limit it to them?

That said, there is a Gulf of difference between the OLDEST profitable business in the world versus a few streetfront inner-city 'churches'...one of them has a good run of equity acquisition, almost a few thousand years' worth!

There are more than a few of us who wouldn't miss any of 'em...myself included, and I consider myself a firm believer! I just don't like what has been done with organized religion, it almost seems designed to keep individuals from directly experiencing interaction with the One Who Made All Things.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 760
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe some wayward priest, knowing the financial difficulties the archdiocese is in, maybe this priest had a 'friend' take the Tabernacle; possibly looking to pawn the gold, melt it down, whatever.....later on they will split the profits.

Gumby

Post Number: 1632
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I notice some anti-Catholic undertone on this thread. Definitely lacking in sensitivity.

Just because I am not religious doesn't mean that I am anti-anything. I just choose not to believe what you do.

Stealing is stealing I don't care who it is from.

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stuff is gold plated, not gold. Since the death of Liberace the market for gold plated candlesticks and cups is non-existent. This isn't an inside job. I don't know what "facts" you guys are pulling up on the Internet, but these churches aren't rolling in money.

Gannon

Post Number: 10875
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, but 'The Church' in Rome certainly isn't hurting...they've got all these land holdings around the globe, vested for hundreds and hundreds of years...probably the deepest pockets in the world.

And I'm not even talking about the treasures of hidden wisdom likely lurking in the Vatican Vaults, and sprinkled throughout the world in some of the oldest buildings around.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 766
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told by an older altar boy while we served mass together back in the 60's, about an orphange somewhere in the New York area that housed the sons and daughters of Nuns who fornicated with priests. I heard it again around the early 80's from some guy on his way to some church service.
Has anyone ever heard this story before? ? ?

Gannon

Post Number: 10876
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the few jokes I can remember deals with that very subject...sans the orphanage, but plus a bishop and a wily doctor with the wisdom of Solomon.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the crackheads who did this are agonizing about their eventual fate before the Almighty... not.
Methinks you're giving the perpetrators too much credit. Crackheads don't have the brain capacity to understand the audacity of stealing from a church. They see shiny metal, they take it, they go to crackhouse, get high, repeat, until all the shiny stuff is gone. Then they break into your car.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.