Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit House of Corrections (DeHoCo) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any memories regarding Detroit House of Corrections (DeHoCo)
I’ve been told that although it wasn’t a hotel it was much better than the ninth floor at 1300 Beaubien.

Either way I stayed on the other side of the fence. Only saw / smelled the ninth floor once that was enough.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 966
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Want Love and Affection (not the House of Correction), Nathaniel Mayer, 1966

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask John Sinclair. He was the house band there for a few years, wasn't he?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2207
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Among my souvenirs of the past is this license plate that was on the DPD bus that transferred prisoners from Recorder's Court to DEHOCO from 1966 to 1976. It was on the same bus for ten years until the '76 bicentennial plate came out. I grabbed it off more for the neat number than anything else.

plate

Flybydon

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, did you work @ # 1 ?

Cool plate, I remember seeing that old hog of a transport.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2209
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I worked at Motor Traffic Bureau at 2650 E. Jefferson where the bus was stored at night. I've got a brick from that now-demolished building, also.

Wife says I gotta get a life.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father worked on different construction projects there in the late 20s, I think. He always told stories about playing on the inmates team for baseball. I don't remember who they would have played, the guards?

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps.

In the early '80s my dorm's intramural hockey team played against the Marquette State Prison team (a home game for them!)

Quite an experience...

Some asswipe guard said he couldn't find my name on the list of NMU students until I told him to look on page 2!

Flybydon

Post Number: 198
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936: Ah yes, the old MOG on Jefferson. That garage held a few tales within its walls.

My second wife suggested the same thing to me “Get A Life” So I did……
I got rid of her and bought a newer airplane.
It doesn’t talk back, cost much less to operate and will go all the way whenever I need.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2211
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, I got attached to the old gal after 49 years. We'll be back in Detroit for #50 next September.

Darndest thing about the old MOG was the urinals up on the second floor. The damn things were bigger than bathtubs standing up on end. I never in my life have seen such outsized fixtures. (The urinals, I mean.....)

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 347
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Starr, the famed female outlaw of the Old West, spent some time in DeHoCo.

Lots of prisons had baseball teams - ask Ron LeFlore.

Ookpik

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1923
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was probably in the old DeHoCo, which was just north of Eastern Market. I'll have to dig through some things for any specifics on it.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 31
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My great uncle and aunt both worked at DeHoCo.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jrvass - "In the early '80s ... Some asswipe guard "

You didn't need to tell us it was "early 80s." The epithet dated it enough.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can still remember a wonderful man and a great Recorder's Court judge, the late Henry Heading. He was a jurist who did not put up with any crap from a defendant who appeared before him. And when he gave a guy a break, he would say:
"And if you violate the terms of your probation, the only thing that's going to beat you back to DeHoCo are the lights on that bus"

Ray1936

Post Number: 2216
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I remember him well, Rock. Were that all judges were like him! The cops all loved him.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 313
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I is glad that everyone is so smart like Craig!

Msamslex
Username: Msamslex

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told my grandmother was a matron? or at least worked there. Don't know what her job was. It was before I was born and she didn't work when I was little. She helped take care of me while parents went to work.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my dad used to tell me he took prisoners out to DeHoCo. he was a garden city reserve cop, used to tell me if i messed up i,d go to DeHoCo.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to disagree with you on that one Ray. Heavy handedness tends to make angry anti social individuals even more so. Would you want one of youre friends or family members to have the book thrown at them? Every case-or every individual is unique. If we are going to have a hyperpunitive country then lets be fair and spend just as time and effort on cause-effect and prevention.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.