Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Chene & Ferry Nighborhood « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the inquiring minds. Views looking north.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the term neighborhood doesnt seem to apply anymore!

Username: 3420

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Development is coming for our area around late 2008-2009 from what I saw. I really can't give out too much info but I already saw the blue prints and drawings. If I can get a copy of it I will most definitely post it up if it fits. The new housing that will be built is beautiful. Trust me, there will be no suburban style housing in this area. Not trying to take away from the wonderful pics, but I love my neighborhood.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully this will all happen after the closure of the incinerator. The smell could be a detrimental selling factor when the wind is from the west.

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The smell is terrible, but somehow I'm immune to it now after all these years. When I leave to head downtown the smell seems to be on my nose still. I can't wait to see it torn down.

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that's a LOT of vacant land.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The commercial strip along Chene has a lot of potential, I think. It's the kind of old-school neighborhood downtown that was torn down and replaced with strip malls in too many parts of the city. A few really nice businesses along there could do wonders for the area. And there's no shortage of potential parking spots.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3940
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, so sad. Thanks, Flybydon.

3420, keep us updated. I'm intrigued.

Another prairie frontier where some new detached home development is underway is in the triangle formed by Vernor, Mt. Elliot, and Gratiot.

Both areas need so much work.

Iaintgotnostyle
Username: Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how many times have you had your shit stolen over there 3420?

Just asking because thats my old stomping grounds.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan & Vi's, on Chene by I-94, is where I liked to pick up the *best* submarine sandwiches in Detroit (IMO anyway.) I know they did business under that name for about 30 years and I think the building is still standing, isn't it? So much around there is knocked down from when I remember it.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 322
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan and Vi's is still open; I bought a sub there today. What is to become of the Carpethouse when all this development happens?

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never have had anything stolen since being over here. I know a lot of neighbors and we look out for each other. Dan & Vi's is my spot for lunch and have some of the best bbq popcorn chicken. But development for the area is coming. It may not seem like no one is look at it but they are. There are two groups I know of who are building homes and apartments. One drawing looks like those brownstones off the Cosby Show and the rest were all brick homes. But they will do justice for our neighborhood.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3950
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. I don't think you'll get the Crosswinds and Detroit Urban Living type developments for awhile, but if initial developments work out (i.e. sell), the neighborhood could be built up more and more. It is a fairly central neighborhood with great access to midtown and downtown.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drove down Chene yesterday and the strip of stores between Ferry and 94, just made me wonder what it looked like back in the day with all stores operational. I think the only stores open now are the Party Store on Ferry/Chene and then the one at the service drive.

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I love this neighborhood. You have a lot of of bus lines in the area. Also great access to New Center as well.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is old Northeastern High School still standing?
NE was a really cool school.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, Dan and Vi's is the shiznit. Best subs in the world.

Love the tiny burnt pepperoni's on the pies also.

Glad you never got took 3420.

(Message edited by iaintgotnostyle on November 08, 2007)

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northeastern has been torn down since the lae 70s

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1325
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chuck; was that on e.warren between grandy and mitchell? if so, it's been demolished. i know that the DPS has that tract of land and, as of 6 years ago, was planning on developing it into a new NE high school. however since funding and enrolment have continued to go down the toilet those plans have been shelved. i wouldn't be surprised if we see the city sell off that parcel to a developer.

3420; you'll be happy to know that a portion of the development has been fast tracked. we may even see shovels in the ground by springtime. it's too early for me to share much more, but when i can i'll let you know.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northeastern was on Warren and Chene

Rsa

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where perrien park is now?

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, I wanted to know is that was true or not. Because the development we saw was the land from 94 east all the way to the eastern market. But I can't say much now either. But we shall keep the forum updated. Do you stay in the area Rsa? Also, Northeastern was torn down in the 90's.

Rsa

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm just south of you 3420, in lafayette park. feel free to shoot me an email if you want to chat about it more: rockstarchitect@aol.com

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok. I sure will. I'm in the boulevard area.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3957
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rsa, why would developers be tight-lipped about a major development? The only reason I can see is that they are trying to get their homes built before another similar planned development by a competing firm is implemented.

To have infill in this neighborhood and infill on the far east side would really tie up loose ends on the lower east side well.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone recall a neighborhood bar by the name of "JAK TAM"? I believe it was on the corner of Farnsworth and Grandy, a couple blocks east of Chene. A vacant lot now but it was a great place to go in the sixties and seventies. Ice cold Altes on tap in a boombah glass for a quarter.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 489
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I just find that magic in the Inner Inner city neighborhoods immediately outside of downtown (like you would find in Philly, New York, Chicago, or someplace). It has a lot of potential for sure.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 08, 2007)

Rsa

Post Number: 1328
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

curb those conspiracy theories mackinaw. i'm not the developer, so it is not my place to make any announcements nor reveal any details before they have.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3962
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't calling on you to spill the beans. You help us out enough with all the info you bring to the forum, which I appreciate. I was just wondering why the developer has shared very little about something that could begin soon.

Rsa

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks mackinaw. i'm sure that the developer is concerned primarily with making sure that it happens before announcing any details. there was an article in model D a year ago about the master plan: http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/marsq64.aspx

Detroitrise

Post Number: 541
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I hope is that these homes and business will be built back with their former style and density. I don't want suburban style development along these urban density-zoned street.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to rain on anyone's parade here but, is there a master plan to bring people back to the old hood and employ them somehow? Or is this just another wasted master plan where the homes will be boarded up after a couple of years.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One thing I hope is that these homes and business will be built back with their former style"

Impossible.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of plans, I recall a few years back that a group called the Black Farmers or something similar was going to start doing business at the Chene-Ferry market again. I haven't seen or heard anything since. Anyone have info?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Impossible."

Not impossible. Much of the development will have to have at least medium density because of the way the area it's zoned and designed (this means back alley garages).

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me add to the above before you guys think Im being an ass.

It will be impossible to rebuild this neighborhood to its former glory for the following reasons:

1) too expensive
2) the people and aura are gone

On the positive side, they can rebuild it to a new glory but for the old timers like me, it will never be the same.

I wish them luck though.

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that kinda cleared things up. I didn;'t want to sound like I was downing the project. I really do wissh my old home a new life.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/michave64.aspx

You're saying that they can't help to revive the neighborhood like in the link above?

Iaintgotnostyle

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, that neighborhood is just too far off to revitalize to its former glory.

It would be way to expensive to build from scratch whats in the pic.

Most of the old stores along chene are long gone.
The few shells that are left are too far gone to bring back to what they used to be.

But a new life is certainly lurking about for it.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3966
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guys, read the link Rsa posted closely. Indeed it is impossible to recreate what used to be there; modern craftsmanship and efficiency concerns in homebuilding will not permit it. (On the other hand, my impression of the historic housing stock on the near-east side in the belt between 94 and Vernor is that it is some of the more simplistic, not-so-well constructed old housing in the city. There are mostly simple wood frame houses that didn't age as well as brick laws in other neighborhoods). However, according to the link, they plan on building out the neighborhood with a type of density that matches or exceeds what was there before. The finished product won't look like what used to be there, but the best we can hope for is that spatially and in terms of basic design the new development mimics traditional rubrics.

I always read ModelD but either missed or forgot that, so thanks for posting it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.