Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Stock Exchange - A note from Carptrash « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay. I am currently engaged in this project. http://www.archsculptbooks.com /home.htm I leave it to Lowell to decide whether or not this posting constitutes pandering for a commercial venture or not. I love to earn a shekel or two from this endeavor, but doubt that even the best outcome will break me even.

So, today I am working on the old Detroit Stock Exchange Building and came across this.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q =cache:ojPRVSEuvHYJ:www.detroi tstockexchange.com/dse_walking .pdf+%22Detroit+Stock+Exchange +building%22&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd= 1&gl=us

I am now looking for pictures to use of the sculpture in their new settings. It is my belief (or hope) that there are more pieces of the sculpture spread throughout and throughup 150 West Jefferson. I hope to hear from someone and Happy Hunting. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek
PS I'd love to discover some usable pictures of the sculptures in their original environment.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like an interesting book, but I think I'll wait for the movie.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyone knows that the movie is NEVER as good as the book. eeek

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Where is Wayne Street? The sign says 'Washington Blvd.' We don't know when this street, south of Michigan Avenue was changed to Washington Blvd. but its our guess that the street was renamed during the time Cobo Hall was built in the 1950s."

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4295
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Serendipity would have it that on a recent tour of the Penobscot I was shown this room that I was informed was used as the Detroit Stock Exchange. I am guessing the the trading floor may have moved to different locations over time.

To the front you will notice a catwalk where price quotes could be posted on the black display board.

Detroit Stock Exchange

Here is a detail of the ceiling. Work by your beloved Parducci?

Detroit Stock Exchange

Interior shot of semi-secure adjacent vault room. The vault door is rather basic, very similar to the one I had in the basement of my Highland Park house.

Detroit Stock Exchange

Carptrash

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yike. Life is strange but wonderful. The DSX moved to the Penobscot in 1934 (all dates in carptime) and the Beloved could well have done the ceiling. Unfortunately, CP's records for 1933, 34 and 35 are "missing" so I can't check there. But thanks for the sight and insight. And we'll see what more digging reveals. Ah, the life in the trenches. eeeek

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3051
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The vault door is rather basic, very similar to the one I had in the basement of my Highland Park house."

tangent: Is the reason for having a vault door in your basement known?

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the Detroit Stock Exchange currently located? The trading is mainly in futures or securities as well?

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2006
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Detroit Stock Exchange® is dedicated to providing educational services to investors. It does not facilitate the actual trading of securities and/or commodities. The Detroit Stock Exchange® is not a successor nor is it associated with firms and individuals which were previously associated with the original Detroit Stock Exchange which was a registered stock exchange conducting business in Detroit, Michigan from the early nineteen hundreds until it ceased operations in June, 1976. You will see in linked pages that it was instrumental to the flow of capital investment to finance the developing auto industry."

http://www.detroitstockexchang e.com/index.htm

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2007
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Stock Exchange
Established: July 10, 1907
Closed: June 30, 1976

http://www.detroitstockexchang e.com/dse_org.htm

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2008
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The Detroit Stock Exchange ceased operations in June, 1976, primarily because of "May Day" 1975. Securities regulations replaced fixed rate comminssions [sic] with negotiated commissions. This made the spliting [sic] of commissions between DSE members and out-of-town dealers redundant. A comprehensive article on the Detroit Stock Exchange appears in the March/April 2005 issue of Michigan History, "When Bulls and Bears Roamed in Detroit", by Steven Renaldi."

http://www.detroitstockexchange.com/dse_org.htm

(Message edited by charlottepaul on November 09, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.