Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Another dog attack ... what is the solution? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanpioneer
Username: Urbanpioneer

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20071106/NEW S01/71106031

So what is the solution? I'm an avid runner and at least weekly I'm chased or at least cautiously go by groups of roving dogs. And I'm a dog owner _ I have a 120-pound bullmastiff I rescued from Detroit Animal Control and my girlfriend has a 60 pound mud-dog from Mississippi.
If you call the city, humane society or Detroit Animal Control, they MIGHT get out in a day or two if they can find the dogs. My worst dog encounter was when the folks two blocks from my home, who don't have electricity but instead run a generator, failed to control their pit and it chased after me as I was walking my bullmastiff. (People know me enough that they have stopped asking if I fight my dog._ Luckily they got there to pull their dog off. Then when I told them they have to get their dog under control, they told me to go home and mind my own business.
If the city REALLY wanted to crack down on this, they could. Why can't they create a "dog control squad" that goes through the city picking up the dogs, ticketing the owners etc so people realize dogs are a responsibility and not just a disposible toy or low-cost outdoor alarm system.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why isn't there a dog-control squad?

Uh, 'cause dogs' bribes suck?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 2096
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stiffer penalties for dogs that get loose?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If a dog is loose, and pursuing me in a hostile manner, I get to kill it. If the dog "belonged" to someone, they get to dispose of the corpse.
It's bad enough, that we have to pussy-foot around with other citizens and their fragile and unpredictable sensitivities. Stray dogs? Nope.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't we set up a city agency to go around, look for dogs, find them, and -- if they have owners -- fine them. But then we'd need a robust city agency to issue tags and licenses. Then, their data would have to be correct from year to year. And then, when they fine people, they'd have to keep excellent records so they could monitor when one dog or one owner has lots of trouble.

Then, they'd have to be monitored by internal affairs so that they weren't cutting their buddies a break, slacking off, unfairly killing animals, etc.

In other words, let's start this big, new, city agency to combat a small problem that affects joggers and dog-walkers. Great.

Sorry, I just can't get with that. What kind of pioneer are you?

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the solution? Jog with a bag of seconal burgers and dispense freely, if you feel your safety and well being are in danger.
Don't be fooled. Some of these mongrels would kill a person in a heartbeat if given the chance.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3718
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dog Shoots Man

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 847
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time that pit attacks your dog cut its throat. Then their dog will be under control.

This is a serious topic and problem. Its happened to me as well. Honestly the owners and former ones of these dogs do not care and many are strays. As a result carry a weapon of some sort and do not feel bad when a violent threat is taken off the street.

Sadly, I don't think city services can be counted on to deal with this-just as you mentioned.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 415
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of a tough situation when you have animals raising animals.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 330
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pioneer-
The situation you describe sounds very dangerous. If you decide to arm yourself, make sure you go to the local precinct first and file a complaint against the dogs. You need to develop a file, or record, long before you're put in the position of defending yourself, your family or your property.

Once you take action against those dogs, you will be sued and you need a iron-clad paper file with dates, times, photos and police reports to back up your claim that those dogs are a menace.

Your friendly neighbors are going to get much less friendly; so you might as well plan on defending yourself.

Start jogging somewhere else.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any owner that allows their dog to take a chomp out of someone should tied down while a larger, meaner dog takes a chomp out of that ownwer.

Eye for an eye. That would teach people to be more responsible.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the very least, take pepper spray with you when you're jogging.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be worried about being sued for killing a violent dog in self defense. Even if the dog was not threatening you the dog's owner would have to show that the loss of the animal caused a financial loss. I highly doubt the dogs are valuable sporting or show dogs and loss of dog fighting revenue probably won't carry much weight with a judge. Next time you're threatened do the kids in the neighborhood a favor by eliminating the problem.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on November 06, 2007)

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pepper spray is a safer solution than a 9 mm...although less permanent...just make sure you're not downwind...it'll stop a brown bear so it should stop a dog.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is scary. Are Pitt Bulls a real issue in Detroit neighbourhoods?

Maybe you guys need a Pitt Bull ban like Ontario has.

I have no tolerance for dogs or their owners who can't properly train their dogs.

I have been attacked by dogs a number of times and it is not fun. To this day, I still do not trust dogs.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw pepper spray, if you've got a CCW, put a bullet through its head.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 552
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went into a ladies house one time on business and she says "don't worry about the little boston terrier, he don't bite" it had already bit me, clamped down and hangin off of my arse..lol I hate dogs. Get a job where you have to go in people's houses, thats all it takes. I have the same attitude as Ravine, if someone likes their dog, control it around me. Or I will. I'm not going to let it bite me.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ban them within city limits.

Allow grace period of 3 months for owners to make other arrangements.

Allocate some money to local shelters to deal with those trying to make "other arrangements".

Set up anon hotline for anyone to report pit ownership within city.

Set up temporary enforcement "squad" to follow up tips.

I'll bet it would take less than 12 months to significantly reduce the number of pits. Go from there

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hunters in oscoda county are being advised of a pack of "freed " large pitbulls that are terrorizing the local black bear population. Hunters are encouraged to carry little bells and pepper spray in case one of the pissed off bears catches their scent from up-wind, and to discern between pit bull scat and black bear scat: Pit bull scat looks like dog-shit, while black bear scat smells like pepper spray and has little bells in it.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 813
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe you guys need a Pitt Bull ban like Ontario has.

quote:

Ban them within city limits.

My pit bull is more likely to lick you to death than bite at all. sure, she might scratch you with her claws a bit as she's trying to get at your face to lick it, but it's not remotely ill-intentioned. Might knock you down too, again, only cause she's so excited to see you.

Meanwhile, my chihuahua gets downright vicious, particularly when 'protecting' (in his mind) a sick family member, and has bit all of us (although not particularly hard, but sometimes enough to draw blood). And don't invade his personal space, cause he'll let you know if you're not welcome. On the rare occasion he slips out the door as we're coming or going, if he sees a neighbor, he'll chase them down and would bite them if he could (fortunately, he listens to us when we tell him to stop).

So, should we ban chihuahuas?

Obviously not.

The real issue here is not any breed in particular, but owners who abandon their dogs or fail to care for them properly. Accusing a breed in such a way does nothing to solve the real problem. What you suggest is little more than saying we'll stop robberies if we ban jewelry stores.

And keep in mind, out of the three attacks in the article, only one was by pit bulls. one was by bulldogs and the other was by a rottweiler. So if you ban pit bulls, you may as well ban all dogs, since all are capable of attacking and harming a human. and cats can be vicious too, so we may as well ban them while we're at it. so let's just be safe, and ban all pets. Isn't that what you really want? Because that's exactly where it leads.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 111
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox brand pepper spray is the best. Pepper spray backed up by a .45 is better. I wouldn't worry too much about being sued by the owner of an unleashed attack style dog. Any judge would laugh that idiot out of his court. The biggest danger is the fued you will start. Get a CCW, and let the local shitheads know that you can take care of yourself.

Raggedclaws
Username: Raggedclaws

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you can't figure out the obvious difference between being attacked by a pit and being attacked by a Chihuahua, shame on you dog owner.

I would handily step on and crush your Chihuahua if it were to attempt to attack me. The pit, well...

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 719
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy:
"Hunters in oscoda county .....has little bells in it."

Funny

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 6859
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My all-time favorite Peter Sellers scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SXn2QVipK2o

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dogs that have chased me in the City have not been pits. You are hurting responsible pet owners by banning a breed. Pontiac banned Pits. Detroit City Council discussed it at a meeting several years ago and representatives from the City of Pontiac spoke to the council, and recommended not banning the breed. It was seen as a mistake and not a solution to the problem.

Pit bull" does not describe any one particular breed of dog; rather, it is a generic category encompassing the American Staffordshire Terrier, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and the American Pit Bull Terrier. [FN41] Although neither the American Kennel Club nor the United Kennel Club recognizes all three breeds [FN42] and the breed descriptions and standards provided by the *2852 two organizations differ, [FN43] there are some common physical characteristics between the three breeds. These include the appearance of great strength, a compact muscular frame, a broad head with pronounced cheek muscles, and short glossy hair. [FN44] However, the lack of finite standards results in variations among and within the three breeds, [FN45] often making it difficult both to determine whether a particular dog should be categorized as a pit bull and to differentiate between pit bulls and other breeds. [FN46]
http://www.animallaw.info/arti cles/arus74fordhamlrev2847.htm

There are better solutions.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 135
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have noticed that there is a tendency towards 'bigger and meaner' that seems to be the norm for some in regards to both dogs and vehicles. I think it represents a general dumbing down of society. We had a problem with pits, rockweilers and dobermans in our area and were not getting any response from anyone after numerous complaints. Then, our postman told me about a technique that the post office uses. Find out who the insurance provider is and then make a complaint directly with them. It is incredible how fast the threat of cancelled insurance or a substantial increase in insurance rates will clear out attack and/or aggressive dogs. I just mentioned this tactic to a large property owner where these dogs were a problem without having to follow through. It was just as effective.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2098
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, wasn't there a push to have Pit Bulls banned in the city a few years back? I'd say about 7 or 8 years ago, I definitely remember this issue coming up.

I personally advocate more control on dog owners instead of banning certain breeds. Pit Bulls aren't the only vicious breed capable of killing people.

Then again, if the city were equipped to have more control on this, then it would be equipped to deal with a lot of other quality of life issues. Does animal control fall under city or state jurisdiction?

Maybe they could start a stray dog race track...

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a dog attack is low on my list of concerns.....what about cars what are we going to do about cars they send people to the morgue and the hospital every day. Good luck on any real change in Detroit. Many people have big angry dogs for protection and there is a lax enforcement and control in the city. Think of the packs of strays!

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a big push, after several attacks that made the news..

But the combination of the "dog lobby" and the lack of specfic legal language made it a no go.

There are several national groups that lobby specifically cities that are considering banning such animals.

And btw, a ccw is not the answer. A concealed weapon usually doesnt have the fire power to stop these animals with one shot. That's why DPD uses shot guns in pit bull incidents.

In pitbull incindents, people want one shot-stopping....

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 4900
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a cop on a WDIV news report put five slugs in a pit bulls head, seemed to work OK.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful folks, sometimes the dog catcher can be more dangerous than the dogs.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 848
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha ha ha ! Woa.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 753
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when I was about 12, my brother and I were watching dog-catchers in action. They were throwing these "hula-hoops" with netting on them. They would bounce them off of a wall and catch the strays that ran by. I always thought that was kinda cool.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I totally agree with Scottr, Lukabottle, Peachlaser and Iheartted..."problem animals" always ALWAYS mean "problem animal-owners." if an animal in a "domesticated" situation is neglected, abused, and/or abandoned and turns mean, is it that animal's fault? HELL NO!! shame on you macho idiot types thinking you're so cool with the idea of shooting these dogs. how about getting a hold of these rotten abusive dog owners instead? how about stringing them up? how does that sound? I am so tired of people blaming the animal for the animal-owner's abuse and/or neglect! I think that idea of complaining to the insurance company is perfect!!
Dogs Rule. People Often Suck!!

Margaret

Post Number: 244
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and in the meantime, pepper spray should work. it even seems to work on huge, menacing wild grizzly bears in the Rocky Mountains!

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 186
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are too many unscrupulous, unlicensed ghetto pit bull breeders operating in Detroit. They do it for the "bad" reasons - fighting, aggression and knucklehead dog owners who are trying to cultivate a "badass" image but don't know what they're getting into.
Some of them end up as strays, some are neglected and a good number end up dumped on the side of I-94. I can't say for certain that those are the result of dogfighting events, but there always seem to be several within a short stretch of highway on a Sunday or Monday. And they don't look like they wandered onto the freeway and got hit.
Pit bulls CAN be good dogs, of course, but that's not what we're dealing with here.

Margaret

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there you go...how about you macho gun guys going after those disgusting HUMANS who are trying to be "bad ass" by abusing dogs??? it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to see these guys who are breeding and fighting these dogs dumped off to fend for themselves along a freeway to Nowhere. lock them up in a tiny kennel and starve THEM to make 'em mean. what goes around comes around, you bet. crack down on these people! let's try to help these animals.

Margaret

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these abusive, ignorant "bad ass" dog owners cannot suffer ENOUGH, in my book, if they are neglecting, abusing, and/or dumping dogs. if I could get my hands on them, they would find out very quickly what "bad ass" really means.

Johnamos
Username: Johnamos

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me that everybody is right here to some extent. I have known pit bull who seem perfectly harmless. The problem with pit bulls as I see it is that every thug or gangster living downtown seems to think he must have a pit bull. The Staffordshire Terrior as recognized by the kennel club is not the dog that I am worried about but rather the poorly bred mean spirited dogs that are desired by the thugs that own them. The true problem , however is with the irresponsible lazy, ignorant problematic dog owner who does not have any business owning any dog in the first place, let alone a dangerous one. It seems to be a problem that is only going to get worse. I truly advocate for the CCW option. If the laws made it clear that there would be no cause for retribution against defending yourself from any unattended dog I believe that perhaps many of these situations would go away. You just can not relegate it to creating another government "solution" which the state and city can not afford.

Pussygirl313
Username: Pussygirl313

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big dog, little dog. Pitt Bull, Chihuahua. I don't care, if a dog is going to attack me and I have my piece on me, its a dead dog. Pussygirl don't play.

I have had to shoot 2 wild dogs that were causing problems in my hood. One was attacking a lady walking down the street from the bus stop. Another neighbor beat it with a bat and it jumped back and was still for a minute and I shot it.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 635
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

""problem animals" always ALWAYS mean "problem animal-owners." if an animal in a "domesticated" situation is neglected, abused, and/or abandoned and turns mean, is it that animal's fault? HELL NO!! shame on you macho idiot types thinking you're so cool with the idea of shooting these dogs. "

Shame on someone for suggesting that a human being defend themselves from an animal?? Are you that much of an animal nut that you think we should kill the dogs owners for neglecting the dogs, but leave the vicious dogs to roam the streets? You need to rethink your priorities.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 632
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if a dog attacks you kill it. don't breed them either.
I support most of their efforts but I wonder how many dogs does the "humane society" Kills each year, must be over 10 thousands? oh i forgot they have a right to kill.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take something. You may not have yet had a problem. You might/probably will.

Better to have something on you than nothing. Pepper spray might actually be better than a gun, I'd guess. If you're fighting a pack, it is easier to just start sprayin in every direction and stop em all. If you have to use a handgun, you're gonna miss at least a couple times, by then dog number 4 is gonna make it through.

But don't jog without protection.

Jesus, is Detroit this wild west?! I almost can't even fathom a city that is so ineffective that it has packs of dogs roaming its streets....

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3056
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it doesn't take a pack to take someone down and the strays turn up everywhere

the last time I ran into one was a Saturday afternoon on the south side of the DIA - not the place I was expecting to see a big, active stray - and it got me thinking about all the kids and elderly that visit that area for the library and museums

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 479
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jesus, is Detroit this wild west?! I almost can't even fathom a city that is so ineffective that it has packs of dogs roaming its streets...."

I don't know what's wrong with Detroit.

Salvadordelmundo
Username: Salvadordelmundo

Post Number: 99
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this may be controversial, but I have an ironclad policy to kill any nearby pitbulls or other large fighting dogs such as presa canarios, rottweilers, etc., if I see them outside unrestrained even once. No exceptions. I don't care who "owns" the dog, or if the dog has a "violent nature" or not. The dog will get sniped by me, eat a mouthful of Paraquat, or will end up squashed underneath my tires, but in any case, it dies, and quickly.

It didn't used to be this way, but there have simply been too many cases of dog attacks and irresponsible owners for me to ignore the threats.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Detroit reverts back to nature, this kind of thing thing should be expected. I wouldn't go into any wilderness unarmed. I wouldn't enjoy shooting a dog, but I will protect myself.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2602
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was running or biking all the time, I was never bitten by a dog but sometimes they would bark or chase you on the bike. We always thought we could just squirt the dogs in the face with what ever liquid was in the bike water bottle.

But I cannot imagine the horror these people who were walking or jogging or whatever must have experienced; it just seems unbelieveable to me that people cannot walk down the street, be it in Detroit or whereever those two people died from that one woman's animals out in the country.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Owners are the problem.

The dog on "Our Gang" was a pit bull.

That said, my German Shepherd and I were once attacked by an angry Doberman.
A few minutes later we moon walked out of there.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about if we enforce the licensing of all dogs. If any dog is found on the street without a license it is subject to be destroyed. As for the joggers add some pepper spray to go along with the Ipod and water bottle you carry.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Which one is illegal in Michigan again? Pepper spray or mace? Or both?

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Salvadordelmundo:
I know this may be controversial, but I have an ironclad policy to kill any nearby pitbulls or other large fighting dogs such as presa canarios, rottweilers, etc., if I see them outside unrestrained even once. No exceptions. I don't care who "owns" the dog, or if the dog has a "violent nature" or not. The dog will get sniped by me, eat a mouthful of Paraquat, or will end up squashed underneath my tires, but in any case, it dies, and quickly.

Salvadordelmundo, you sound like a man with a paper a--hole. As my dad would have said.

Arrogancy
Username: Arrogancy

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just walk up to roaming dogs and they run away or let me pet them. If they run at me I just walk towards them.

If I had my dog with me, though, I might be worried.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Another dog attack ... what is the solution?"

Make people get cats instead.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.