Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Old StreetLights In Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 465
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Specifically, this thread was created because I'm curious about the stret lights that run along the Inner City portions of Detroit's Avenues (Michigan, Gratiot, Grand River). What are the history of these street poles and when did the city stop making them?

(for those unaware of the streetlights I'm speaking of, I'm talking about the ones that run from Mack Ave. to Harper on Gratiot).

Kaptansolo
Username: Kaptansolo

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to think I was the only one who noticed the stylish street lamps that Detroit had a long time ago. I have been gone for 8 years so I do not know if new ones have been erected.
The is another "poster" who had quite a few pics. I will see if I find his name.

I looked up info on the lamps some years back and I was able to find nothing. Manufacturer's name, date of build and even the designer were all elusive.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1322
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice if the city could strip and repaint them... the metal is in excellent condition, and the cost would be minimal. Perhaps upgrade the utility hatches to atleast deter scrap thieves to somewhere else.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the city use the steel poles to feed power to the street cars and then use a metal base and wooden pole for side street lighting?

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a cast iron light post which came from Park Ave. in Detroit. All of the wire connections for those was underground. The light posts were very nice but extremely heavy.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.