Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » First National Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The second through fourth floors appear to have been gutted. Anyone know what they're doing?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hamilton anderson (architecture firm) is moving from their digs in harmonie park to those floors.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1966
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I believe that you could be mistaken Rsa. Last I heard, the Michigan sports hall of fame was going to be moving into these floors. They had a temp. display set up in the double floor height space on the second floor during the Super Bowl: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2005 1219/SUB/512190889

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2855
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would believe an architect would know where his competition is headed before I would believe a two year old article.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1968
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn it! That's not fair. I am not a licensed architect yet. I cannot compete...

Rsa

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my source is one of the VP's there. he told me two weeks ago they were in the process of renovating those floors for their office.

[but yes, the architecture community is fairly close in the D.]

-RSA (RockStArchitect)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RSA, congrats on the new place btw.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3518
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Crain's article mentioned that the Michigan Sports HOF was seeking a long term lease there. Obviously that's fallen through. Is there anything more current with their plans for a new home than this?:

http://www.michigansportshof.o rg/misc_pages/new_home.html

Rsa

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new place sharmaal? as in new house? haven't closed on it yet, so keep your fingers crossed. thanks tho!

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the building on Woodward? An Al Kahn evet ca. 1928? If so Parducci did quite a bit there - but I suspect that its plaster work - ceiling maybe. Any ideas> eeeeeeeeeek

(Message edited by carptrash on November 05, 2007)

Username: 1805

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame potentially part of the Tiger Stadium plan?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamilton was going to buy the building they were in in Harmonie Park, I guess it fell through after SVM Development lost it to the DDA.
http://blog.mlive.com/ann_arbo r_business_review/2007/09/beal _buys_35m_detroit_office_b.htm l

(Message edited by lefty2 on November 05, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 1008/SUB/710080314

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isn't the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame potentially part of the Tiger Stadium plan?

No.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure, Drm?

http://www.metromodemedia.com/ devnews/tigerstad08.aspx

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like the first floor will also be getting some action:

European sophistication and one of the city's most extensive wine lists is coming to Downtown Detroit with the opening of Enoteca - Campo Marzio in mid-December.

http://www.earthtimes.org/arti cles/show/news_press_release,2 15710.shtml

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be a bit of a waste of that space in the First National Building for Hamilton Anderson Associates to be there. It was much nicer as a semi-public space because there are two-story windows that overlook the entire Campus Martius. Exhibit space seemed more appropriate to me, but no one asked me...

Ndavies

Post Number: 2864
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you sure, Drm?

You should trust DRM. He's well connected on this subject. Much more so than an eight month old article. Things change in that amount of time.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2865
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That would be a bit of a waste of that space in the First National Building for Hamilton Anderson Associates to be there. It was much nicer as a semi-public space because there are two-story windows that overlook the entire Campus Martius. Exhibit space seemed more appropriate to me, but no one asked me...

Well, Why didn't you lease it and put in the exibition space, if you thought that was a better use of the space? Pony up the cash and you can make it anything you want.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1971
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, actually when the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame had their exhibit in there during the Super Bowl, it was free. Needless to say, I did donate some dollars to their cause at time; guess that they chose not to use it in the way that I had intended them to (leasing that space), but it's their money.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 938
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know of any online photos of the original 3 story lobby configuration?

Wsu98
Username: Wsu98

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Hamilton Anderson all the best of luck as they move into their new office space. They must of been pretty tight for space with a staff of 129, as the one article stated. When I worked there we had a staff of 70. Even then it was crowded.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9905
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone answer Carptrash's post?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5667
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the First National Building is on Woodward at Cadillac Square in Campus Martius. It stands on the site of the former Russell House Hotel, Detroit's premier hotel in the 2nd half of the 19th century.

The Russell House Hotel was torn down for the much taller Hotel Ponchartrain of 1907-20. This newer hotel (with a 1916 5 story addition on top) was the premier hotel in Detroit until the Statler was built on GCP.

The Hotel Ponchartrain was torn down in 1920 for the 1922 Albert Kahn designed First National Building, which is still here today.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 485
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wine bar set to open in the First National Building

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4293
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(RockStArchitect)? Whatever happen Rock Star Architect? So you have been sainted now? :-) From stardom to sainthood - congrats.

My fondest memory of the the 1st National was shooting the Hudson's demolition from there. My, my, how much has changed in the almost decade since then!

Rsa

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol lowell. actually, it's always been run together like that. [i just capitalize the rsa so people can see the connection.] but i won't turn down sainthood! :-)

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1975
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few pics of the First National Building:

And from the Superbowl... (it's the massive building taking up most of the right side of the picture frame, with the spotlights shining on it)

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like how during the Super Bowl, they made good use of the building. They should do it more for public events in downtown.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hard to put the First National building to good use, if it's best space overlooking Campus Martius is going to be housing a private office.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 825
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were construction lights on inside there this past weekend, and there appeared to be a beautifully ornate crown molding on the 2nd floor. Do any photos exist of this space? It looked more like a ballroom or something than some lame office space.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 425
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to the exterior lighting shining on the pillars?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.