Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Fried Turkey « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Limafin
Username: Limafin

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm cooking my first Thanksgiving dinner and would like to have a fried turkey. Can anyone tell me where I can order a GOOD fried turkey???
Thanks!

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 649
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Turkey Grill on Woodward just North of West Grand Boulevard.
They have fried, cajun fried, and roasted with all the trimmings. They are really good.

Limafin

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking for a whole fried turkey. Do they sell those at Turkey Grill???
Thanks!

The_ed

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm looking for a whole fried turkey. Do they sell those at Turkey Grill???
Thanks!"

They sure do

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 800
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never had fried turkey before. I was always scared off by the garage fires and the fat/grease numbers. Maybe I'll go and get one too. Either that or some turducken.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to smoke a turkey this year..indirect grilling....mmmmmm.

Limafin

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Genesyxx, I've been doing a little research on fried turkeys and just came across the term, turkducken... It sounds wonderful! Do you know where I could get one of those as well in the metro Detroit area???
Thanks!

The_ed

Post Number: 653
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Limafin

http://www.cajungrocer.com/fre sh-foods-holiday-dishes-turduc ken-c-1_15_24.html

My experience with turkducken is that you don't want to order one already stuffed.
get the stuffin' on the side if you can.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sparrow Meats in Ann Arbor has had turducken in the past. I'm sure you'd have to order in advance anyway, so give 'em a call:

http://sparrowmeat.getwebnet.c om/

Second on the Turkey Grill, BTW.

(Message edited by texorama on November 05, 2007)

Limafin

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks The_ed! I believe I have enough information to be dangerous in my quest to have the BEST tasting Thanksgiving dinner! LOL

Thanks Again!

The_ed

Post Number: 659
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What?! No invite? :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Limafin,
IMO A successful Turkeyday comes down to timing. Cold potatoes, vegis or whatnot is kind of a bummer, so plan your feast like a General plans an invasion. Make a plan and stick to it.

That's why your old aunts would be so bossy on that day, they were trying to make everything finish at exactly the same time.

The usual hang up is the gravy because it's made from turkey drippings ...

Oh yeah, factor in the pre-game and actual football game; you don't want everybody rushing through dinner just to catch the forth quarter.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had smoked turkey and it's AWESOME .Better have a lot of charcoal around . If you're going to deep fry a turkey I would implore you to DO IT OUTSIDE

Limafin

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that I've settled on the turducken. Now, I just need to decide if I want to get it from one of the online Cajun stores for a GENUINE flavor and pay significant price for shipping/handling (has to be packed in dry ice) OR do I get it from Sparrow Meat in Ann Arbor. Texorama, will you vouch for the turducken at Sparrow Meat??? That would save me a little money to still do either a ham or a fried turkey (-:
P.S. The_Ed, my non-invitation should not be viewed as a slight but rather concern for your welfare....afterall, this is my FIRST Thanksgiving dinner (-:

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 958
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've served Turducken three years in a row. The wimpy family members who are afraid of spicy food seem to have no problems with it. This year, a fried turkey seems like a good choice, if we can get it already done.

The_ed

Post Number: 681
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Limafin
"P.S. The_Ed, my non-invitation should not
be viewed as a slight but rather
concern for your welfare"

No problem
We'll break bread in a few years. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.