Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » Detroit Police History - Two -Way Radios « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure that one of you out there can tell me when this picture was published. It is a picture of my Grandpa from one of the Detroit papers at the time they first put two-way radios in police cars.

He is the one in the middle.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might be helpful to you:

http://forums.detnews.com/hist ory/story/index.cfm?id=35&cate gory=government

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the history of the Center Line Police Deptartment:
quote:

Also in 1937, the patrol car was radio-equipped, with radio station WRDR of Grosse Pointe furnishing the service. In 1938 another step was taken in modern equipment and a transmitter was installed in the patrol car, enabling two-way radio communication.

Krawlspace
Username: Krawlspace

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how the fundamental mechanics of the radio were properly illustrated by what appears to be a soldering iron. ;-)

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone into police scanners? I got a new digital one. It is pretty interesting

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 913
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421, I have my scanner running when I'm working in the garage. It's a quick way to see if the sirens your hearing are a good photo op or not. The Detroit freqs are always humming. Ferndales are boring. Mines a Radio Shack with some simple notch mods for cell phones.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scanners-my #1 hobby. NOW we're on a topic I know a lot about.
I have a digital. I live less than 2 miles outside of Detroit and only pick up bits and pieces of the Detroit system. I've never found a good place where I can hear their system ok. Otherwise, the reception is a big improvement. Warren's system is much clearer than when it was analog and comes in stronger. I've even gotten station "skips" from Monroe and Livingston counties.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No more KQA 414 though *sniff*

Pgn421

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hpgrmin-I have a bearcat 396 t i believe. Man is it complicated to program. I have 5 scanners, and it seems the digital APC ones are tough to program I took mine to Abel, they did a good job. However, the broadcasts break up sometime. Do you have the same problem?

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 108
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larryinflorida; that seems to ring a bell, isn't that the call letters used for the East side precincts, 5, 7 and 15 back in the days of old?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 868
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adam 12, Adam 12 see the woman at 2113 Seminole coming from across the street at 2115 Seminole with her clothes torn and nervous shaken

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3703
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have at least two handhelds and a very nice mobile/base.

Mobiles are no longer illegal in Michigan (except for use while committing a crime, etc.).

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn- I take it youre listening to Detroit. The digital frequencies are a bit more sensitive. The reception tends to be more fragile I've noticed. I live south of 10 mile and I can usually only pick up 2 or 3 words at a time on Detroit's system. I've listened inside the Detroit city limits and the audio was still pretty rough. It has to do with the city's equipment, not the receiver itself. A Detroit Firefighter told me he can pick it up at his house, which is farther from the city than mine,and he suggested an 800 mhz antenna purchased seperately.

Pgn421

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hpgrmin- I do not have Detroit. I have everybody else. Macomb, Roseville, Shores,etc Wayne County Sheriff,Grosse Pointe,Harper Woods. If i had Detroit, that scanner would be humming.Are you a member of any scanner club? Have you checked out radioreference on the web? That is an interesting site.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, those all come in pretty choppy. The 800-band is really fragile. You probably have Detroit and just can't receive the signal most of the time. I've heard different Macomb county agencies on some of the same frequencies Detroit uses.They are all part of the statewide digital system. I cannot pick up the Grosse Pointes at all. I was talking to a dispatcher and he alleges that the digital radios DO NOT work inside brick buildings. Detroit firefighters have to go to a window and YELL to someone outside to relay information since the radios don't work.
Warren was one of the first cities in Michigan to use a trunked system. They had their own frequencies. They still use those frequencies, but switched it over from analog to digital in the last year or so. Theyre signals appear stronger. Its those MPSCC systems that are weak.On the plus side, I've gotten a few interesting station "skips" on that system. Once in a while, at night, you might get a stray signal from Genesee county.
Radio reference is probably the best source.I have used that site for information when I went up north for a few days this summer. It is very accurate.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Radios? We doan' need no steenkin' radios."

flying squad

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is that an early tucker automobile?. haven,t listened to the scanner since every thing went digital, guess i need to upgrade. my dad used to tape the garden city police calls. good thing it was long before i learned to drive.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2206
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, dog. Only if the middle light turns.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember listening to our neighbor's scanner of some kind during the 1967 riot! man, that was interesting!

Sportsfan
Username: Sportsfan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know the numbers I would need for southwest detroit? Delray area.Much thanks in advance

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Psip recommended http://www.radioreference.com/ as a good reference for frequencies.

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new frequencies are citywide. The way a trunked system works is there are a number of frequencies in the system, and whenever the radio is keyed it goes to the first available frequency.So unfortunately, S/W no longer has its own frequency, it shares many of them with all of the other departments in the city-fire, EMS,transit etc.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stinger4me Sez: "Larryinflorida; that seems to ring a bell, isn't that the call letters (ed:KQA 414) used for the East side precincts, 5, 7 and 15 back in the days of old?"

Yeah, I think KQA 371(?) was the other precincts/towers.
They had those call letters since the early 60's
So when they switched to trunking, it was the end of a 40+ year run for them.

(Message edited by LarryinFlorida on November 08, 2007)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a ham by the call sign W8QDU?

This would be from the 1920's to late '80s.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11715
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On April 17, 1928, Detroit had the world's first workable police radio system. The original antenna tower was on Belle Isle, and I was told that the antenna tower present there today is the same one.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was also a pioneer in walkie talkies on patrolmen. The "PREP", or "Personal Radio Equipped Patrolman" was the acronym for them.
They had UHF Motorola HT-200's in the 60's that looked like bricks by today's standards,
(a whopping 3/4 watt) but they did work pretty good with those tall towers.
Except when a mic button got stuck and the dispatcher had to say: "All Units, check your PREPS" lol.

Ray1936

Post Number: 2215
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a bank holdup around 1969 or so where a Detroit officer was locked into a bank vault along with the employees. He tried to call for help on his "PREP", only to get this response from dispatch:

"1-3, you're breaking up badly. Change your location and try again."

Stinger4me
Username: Stinger4me

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larryinflorida; Good analogy about the brick. There was a time when radio runs were not simulcast. I don't think that lasted too long.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.