Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2007 » The Value of Detroit's Food Products? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 419
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.vernors.com/

This site says a bag of Better Made Potato Chips is worth nearly $10 nationwide (and possibly worldwide).

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1945
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow; now only if they could send me some coney dogs too...

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 587
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow
so what you are saying is that the company is totally fucked up an they have no clue to what their doing.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow
You mean it is not free for them to process the potatoes into chips, bag them, package them for shipment, mail them out and deliver them to your door?

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you live near Henderson, Nevada you can get a Detroit coney and a bag of Better Made chips.
http://www.downtownhenderson.c om/Restaurants/DetroitMotorCit y/DetroitMC.htm

Lifeinmontage
Username: Lifeinmontage

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about the chips, but I'd pay 15 bucks for a case of Red Pop

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the Faygo Red pop goes for $5.99 per 20oz bottle, at least as it is listed on that web site.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 305
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When i was living in California I'd have my Vernors shipped to me from this website. Come to find out you CAN buy Vernors in California, but it's hard to find and usually only comes in plastic bottles.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1956
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I did see faygo down here at a hair salon (as though faygo were some sort of ritzy product). I should have asked them where they got it from.

Wanderinglady
Username: Wanderinglady

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few places in the Los Angeles area where you can get Faygo. BevMo! and Cal Poly University (in Pomona, CA) farm store. Also, the Vons supermarket in my neighborhood has Vernors in the big bottle and cans.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dean & DeLuca gourmet market in Georgetown (DC) sells Vernor's for $1.25 a can.

I also found Faygo at some random, hole-in-the wall market in Arlington, Virginia. I picked up two 2-liters of orange pop and black cherry. (Unfortunately, no Red Pop or Rock & Rye). One thing, though, is that the fizz leaves after the first pour and the pop goes flat. Anyone else have that problem, or did I just get some old Faygo?

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a Detroit style Coney in Cookeville, TN. The owner is a Detroit native. I delivered bags of Better Mades many a time.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 440
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One thing, though, is that the fizz leaves after the first pour and the pop goes flat. Anyone else have that problem, or did I just get some old Faygo?"

That's why I always check the date of the pop before I purchase it. Never buy pop that's too close to it's expiration date (look for a new shipment).

As for Faygo, it is a fairly flat pop I think as well compared to the leading brands. I never could figure out why though. You mus tbuy it fresh to get the best fizz.

By the way, imagine if non-Detroiters were on this site reading the word "pop". LMAO!

(Message edited by DetroitRise on November 05, 2007)

Detroitrise

Post Number: 441
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly in the mainstream "pop" industry, Faygo is considered a cheap pop.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3046
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so there are pretentious popsters, too?

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't see an expiration date, but one of the orange pop's has the 100-year crest, so I'm assuming it's new. Oh well.

And, before anyone accuses me of being pretentious, I'll take the slightly flat Faygo over all others any day. I've got some Srodek's pierogi and kielbasa thawing in the fridge that is going to be unbelievable with that black cherry.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 602
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote DRise- Sadly in the mainstream "pop" industry, Faygo is considered a cheap pop.

So where are all our great advertising firms on this, they could double sales with some good PR. This shit needs to change. Pop is only after all, carbonated water, sugar and flavoring.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 3047
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe they are at a business size they like

Everybody ready? http://youtube.com/watch?v=LQq yDj7RX6Y

(Message edited by lilpup on November 05, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.